Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Charles Soule and Ron Garney -- New DAREDEVIL team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an 8 month gap between the end of Secret Wars and these new #1's so who knows what all has happened to Matt in the meanwhile.

With this closer look at the costume, I'm liking it, wrapped fists in a manner of a boxer, the boots look interesting, the darker colors, even the flaming emblem. This looks like someone ready to fight, hard.

If that is Gambit, that's a heckuva twist. To me though, that figure looks younger than our Cajun thief. Plus those look stripes on his suit, not knives. Still, either way, I'm intrigued by this new concept.

As for Soule and Garney, really looking forward to seeing what they bring to the table.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my fav thing about the new look are the hand wraps. Overall it looks pretty cool, even the colour change. Not sure about the emblem but it's not a major problem for me.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:

If that is Gambit, that's a heckuva twist. To me though, that figure looks younger than our Cajun thief. Plus those look stripes on his suit, not knives. Still, either way, I'm intrigued by this new concept.

I really don't think it's Gambit. Gambit is arguably older, more skilled and more experienced than Matt.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really don't think it's Gambit. Gambit is arguably older, more skilled and more experienced than Matt.

I still say its a reborn Stick.

I won't get into a whole "this character could beat that character" debate. That always depends on who is writing what, but there is no way Gambit is older than Matt Murdock. Gambit is probably in his mid-to-late 20s at best, whereas Matt is mid-to-late 30s. So Murdock has a good decade on Gambit age wise and probably experience.
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
Quote:

I won't get into a whole "this character could beat that character" debate. That always depends on who is writing what, but there is no way Gambit is older than Matt Murdock. Gambit is probably in his mid-to-late 20s at best, whereas Matt is mid-to-late 30s. So Murdock has a good decade on Gambit age wise and probably experience.

yes...agree completely...

yet I doubt it's any incarnation of stick..

I'm thinking it might be be a 'Robin' retelling...

ky
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
Quote:

Errrr. I don't know about that. I fully agree that these kind of debates are silly so I'm not strenuously disagreeing. Still, I don't think Matt is late 30s. I think he's mid-30s tops. And whereas Gambit sort of has a youthful demeanor he's definitely late 20s, early 30s. He's one of the older/more mature X-Men for sure. He's been married and divorced, is King of the Thieves, etc.. So while Matt may be older he wouldn't be that much older. Gambit has always been presented as sort of world weary so he's just be a weird fit.

Matt: this is how you jump off buildings safely.
Gambit: I've been to space. Like, tonnes of times.
Matt: Electro fired me into space once.
Gambit: Fine so we've both been to space.
Matt: Want to learn how to fight with a staff?
Gambit: I'm going to go find the X-Men before they get cancelled in a bid to screw over Sony.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think he's mid-30s tops. And whereas Gambit sort of has a youthful demeanor he's definitely late 20s, early 30s. He's one of the older/more mature X-Men for sure. He's been married and divorced,

Gambit was married when he was 18 and left Belladonna quickly afterwards. Also, its established that Cyclops, Beast, Angel are "a few" years older than other X-Men like Gambit, Rogue, Psylocke, Collossus, etc.

Cyclops and the original X-Men started off as teenagers at the same time Matt was graduating law school and becoming Daredevil which would put him at least 25. With Marvel's timeline of (depending on the source) 10 - 13 years since the debut of the Fantastic 4, that puts Murdock squarely in his late 30s.

Now if you asked someone at Marvel, they'd probably brush off all that and say early 30s for Matt and early 20s for Gambit. This is the big reason I've been in favor of a ground zero restart for years. There's no way all of the events in these characters lives could've happened in the timeframe Marvel insists.
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhoo...going back to what this thread is really about.

I read She-Hulk. Not really impressed with Soule. So, I hope that he brings something else writing DD.

Ron Garney. Well this guy I am impressed with. If he is responsible for the redesign of DD's outfit, kudos to him then!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

Gambit: I'm going to go find the X-Men before they get cancelled in a bid to screw over Sony.

Fox, not Sony.

As for Matt's age, his earliest age was at least mid-20s (I'm pretending Stan Lee knew how Law School worked). Mid-30s is fine with me as his current age. One day, I'd love to count a minimum amount of time based on fixed points (such as holidays) that have appeared. I'm sure Daredevil has celebrated at least ten Christmases.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest Axel-In-Charge on CBR:

CBR: Charles Soule and Ron Garney are taking on "Daredevil" after the long and very successful run of Mark Waid and Chris Samnee. Other than the obvious (including Soule's legal background), what made this team the right one to pick up the series?

Alonso: Charles and Ron come in with a vision for what they want to do with Daredevil. While this series definitely builds on what came before, they are going to leap headfirst into noir -- delving into the darker corners of Murdock's world without getting lost in it. And they are going to bring in a host of fascinating new characters that are going to make Daredevil's job a lot more complicated. Oh, and Charles is a practicing attorney, so expect Matt Murdock's closing arguments to be really on-point. And the rumor sites have one thing wrong -- that's not Gambit next to him.
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that blind kid from... volume 3? I think it was earlier on in volume 3. The one who overheard something at work in Latvarian and got fired and etc etc.

Maybe it's that kid? Maybe DD is training him for ... some reason.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryu Murdock wrote:

Alonso: Charles and Ron come in with a vision for what they want to do with Daredevil. While this series definitely builds on what came before, they are going to leap headfirst into noir -- delving into the darker corners of Murdock's world without getting lost in it. And they are going to bring in a host of fascinating new characters that are going to make Daredevil's job a lot more complicated. Oh, and Charles is a practicing attorney, so expect Matt Murdock's closing arguments to be really on-point. And the rumor sites have one thing wrong -- that's not Gambit next to him.

Delving into the darker corners without getting lost in it is exactly what I'm looking for. Daredevil shouldn't be a bubblegum pop character, but it shouldn't be Bendis/Brubaker dark. I always say the best tone is the original Frank Miller run (before Born Again). It got dark with Elektra's death and Matt's emotional consequences for that, but it was also light and campy with The Paper Chase or Foggy's wedding.

kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes..

Frank Miller knew how to balance the character...hopefully Soule understands this as well..

and the apprentice is none other than a de aged Danny Rand..

or a de aged Donald Trump..

ky.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be ... disturbing

Anyway, I'm starting to read She-Hulk. Soule definitely wears the fact that he's a lawyer on his sleeve. I cheered when they were concerned about the one year deadline for Asylum. That's an attention to detail that's important but only a lawyer would care about.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Ryu Murdock wrote:

Delving into the darker corners without getting lost in it is exactly what I'm looking for. Daredevil shouldn't be a bubblegum pop character, but it shouldn't be Bendis/Brubaker dark. I always say the best tone is the original Frank Miller run (before Born Again). It got dark with Elektra's death and Matt's emotional consequences for that, but it was also light and campy with The Paper Chase or Foggy's wedding.

Well there are noir stories they can do without Matt suffering a mental break down or having his life destroyed every 5 minutes. Matt can engage in noir stories that have more general stakes then personal ones.

I don't think Matt has had to deal with a Serial Killer or a Cult (maybe bring Synn back as a psychotic cult leader) in a long while, those could dark stories that Matt could deal. Heck you could take almost any B-list villain and give him or her a darker story line. Mr. Hyde kidnapping people and performing experiments on them, to perfect his Hyde formula could be dark. Or you do a story where the Wild Boys are now a street gang that recruit disadvantaged youths into its ranks. Really if Silver Age villains like Mr. Fear and Purple Man can get serious stories in the modern age, then surely other B-list DD villains can do the same, its all a matter of artistic imagination.

There is a middle ground between aping Miller and trying to recreate Silver age stories.

Ryu Murdock wrote:
Anyhoo...going back to what this thread is really about.

I read She-Hulk. Not really impressed with Soule. So, I hope that he brings something else writing DD.

Ron Garney. Well this guy I am impressed with. If he is responsible for the redesign of DD's outfit, kudos to him then!

To be fair the only thing She-Hulk and DD have in common is that they are both lawyers. The tone of the two books are totally different. She-Hulk is far more goofy and self aware then DD, DD tends to deal with more realistic legal cases, while She-Hulk deals with legal cases that highlight the over top nature of the Marvel Universe.

Soule's job on She-Hulk should not be a big reflection on his potential work on DD, because these two titles are so different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: