Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Charles Soule and Ron Garney -- New DAREDEVIL team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, this might've been posted already but Waid has previously commented on Soule before Soule got the gig. It was in a Reddit AMA: http://www.theothermurdockpapers.com/2014/11/news-update-mark-waids-reddit-ama-daredevil-superior-iron-man-2/

Here's the question and answer

Quote:
My question is – IS there someone already lined up to take over after you already? You don’t have to tell me who – I just like knowing that people are at least on the ball over there, ha.
Though if you could put in a good word for Charles Soule, I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

Quote:
Mark Waid:
I honestly don’t know who’s slated to take over DD next–whenever that happens, he said cryptically–but the last guy I’d recommend would be Charles, because I’d much rather be followed by someone who really sucks and can make me look that much better by comparison. Charles? I don’t need the competition.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie wrote:
One minor concern I have is that Soule is known to be a pretty progressive guy.

I'm always amused when someone describes anyone supporting progress to be a cause for concern.

Wheelie wrote:
I hope him writing about immigration doesn't become overwrought with sentiment and doesn't dominate too many storylines. I'd like DD to stay more or less neutral politically as much as possible, maybe a little bit centre-left if Soule must. But don't go overboard.

I don't think Matt should be a crazed lefty protester but he's clearly on the left side of things. I think that's partly down to writers like Nocenti but it's also built into his character. He helps the little guy which is a traditionally lefty thing to do.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Wheelie wrote:

I'm always amused when someone describes anyone supporting progress to be a cause for concern.

Wheelie wrote:
I hope him writing about immigration doesn't become overwrought with sentiment and doesn't dominate too many storylines. I'd like DD to stay more or less neutral politically as much as possible, maybe a little bit centre-left if Soule must. But don't go overboard.

I don't think Matt should be a crazed lefty protester but he's clearly on the left side of things. I think that's partly down to writers like Nocenti but it's also built into his character. He helps the little guy which is a traditionally lefty thing to do.

Well that's why I am not worried about Soule turning Matt into some sort of ultra Republican DA who would lock up the homeless or something off base like that, I think Soule is making Matt a ADA, so that we can see how the other side of the legal system works and see DD react to new situations. Taking Matt out of his comfort zone may be a good thing for the character.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie wrote:
Right. I agree that having specific knowledge of what you're writing about is more likely to help than hinder. Soule just needs to also read a lot of DD so that he knows DD inside-out and can combine his DD knowledge with the other specific knowledge to create good stories.

One minor concern I have is that Soule is known to be a pretty progressive guy. I hope him writing about immigration doesn't become overwrought with sentiment and doesn't dominate too many storylines. I'd like DD to stay more or less neutral politically as much as possible, maybe a little bit centre-left if Soule must. But don't go overboard.

Well, here's the context for She-Hulk. In there, Dr. Doom's son wanted asylum and they found out the deadline to apply was that day (one year from entry). So they had to race to the courthouse while being attacked by Doombots.

I'd like Daredevil to be a bit more serious there, but it does show that there isn't significant cause for concern about it being too political.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Wheelie wrote:
Right. I agree that having specific knowledge of what you're writing about is more likely to help than hinder. Soule just needs to also read a lot of DD so that he knows DD inside-out and can combine his DD knowledge with the other specific knowledge to create good stories.

One minor concern I have is that Soule is known to be a pretty progressive guy. I hope him writing about immigration doesn't become overwrought with sentiment and doesn't dominate too many storylines. I'd like DD to stay more or less neutral politically as much as possible, maybe a little bit centre-left if Soule must. But don't go overboard.

Well, here's the context for She-Hulk. In there, Dr. Doom's son wanted asylum and they found out the deadline to apply was that day (one year from entry). So they had to race to the courthouse while being attacked by Doombots.

I'd like Daredevil to be a bit more serious there, but it does show that there isn't significant cause for concern about it being too political.

Just to be clear does the real life US have Doombots yet or is that just part of Trump's plan?

Why aren't you laughing?
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Wheelie wrote:

Ha! I think the same goes for almost any political label when you take it literally. There's nothing wrong with conserving, for example -- the environment, resources, standards, money.

james castle wrote:

Wheelie wrote:

I agree that Matt has been a lefty in the past. I have heard liberals argue, though, that the superhero genre in general is conservative in nature: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Hollywood_values#Superheroes

I don't necessarily agree with that assessment.
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well most liberals tend to whine about something or the other.

Anyway..if Soule can just be a bit above average Garney will elevate the book to something special...all of the six issues he'll illustrate.. then quit.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kentuckydevil wrote:

Anyway..if Soule can just be a bit above average Garney will elevate the book to something special...all of the six issues he'll illustrate.. then quit.

I love that your post started with a zinger about liberals whining and then ended with some whining. Brilliant.

Why aren't you laughing?
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
kentuckydevil wrote:

I love that your post started with a zinger about liberals whining and then ended with some whining. Brilliant.

I tend to have liberal leanings...lol..
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New interview with Charles Soule up at CBR: http://bit.ly/1J4ETzL
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie wrote:

I think I recall in the Bendis run that people of New York approached Matt about running for Mayor on the left so he very well be a registered democrat.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Charles Soule's work, really. The legal experience is an interesting wrinkle, but to hear him talk about it, he barely considers himself a lawyer by occupation, anyways. Not sure how large of a factor that will actually play.

His reverence for Waid's run is a bit of a red flag.
This 'All-New' Marvel reboot is sort of a company-wide hard reset, and no book needs that reset button slammed harder than Daredevil. Waid took over from the much-maligned Andy Diggle, and I remember very vividly that his comments on the run that preceded his were borderline contemptuous. As they should have been, considering the stylistic shift he was attempting. We're not really getting that from Soule, but then, he might just have more tact than Waid. (Not the most complicated juggling act to pull off)

Ron Garney joining the book is excellent. I've wanted to see him get a proper crack at DD for a long while, and his one-off foray in the early '90s looked amazing.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding how large a factor it'll play, if She-Hulk is any indication, it'll be noticeable. Not noticeable in the sense that it's a legal story first (although it was still quite a focus there), but noticeable in the attention to detail. It's not going to be a half-assed legal sounding thing that doesn't make any sense. If there's something that gets mentioned, it'll probably either be close to accurate or changed because that's necessary for the plot.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
I'm not familiar with Charles Soule's work, really. The legal experience is an interesting wrinkle, but to hear him talk about it, he barely considers himself a lawyer by occupation, anyways. Not sure how large of a factor that will actually play.

His reverence for Waid's run is a bit of a red flag.
This 'All-New' Marvel reboot is sort of a company-wide hard reset, and no book needs that reset button slammed harder than Daredevil. Waid took over from the much-maligned Andy Diggle, and I remember very vividly that his comments on the run that preceded his were borderline contemptuous. As they should have been, considering the stylistic shift he was attempting. We're not really getting that from Soule, but then, he might just have more tact than Waid. (Not the most complicated juggling act to pull off)

Ron Garney joining the book is excellent. I've wanted to see him get a proper crack at DD for a long while, and his one-off foray in the early '90s looked amazing.

Well the fact is some people did like Waid's run and it would be really bad form for Soule to bad mouth Waid before he takes over his writing duties. I would expect Soule to do his own thing rather then ape Waid.

Anyway Soule is planning on introducing some new villains and I have got a couple of questions, what do you think it takes for a new DD villain to stick around, rather then fall by the wayside when a new writer takes over? It seems like of the villains Nocenti created, only Typhoid Mary has any staying power, guys like Bullet and Bushwacker might show up once in a blue moon and most of the rest have been completely forgotten.

Also what kind of opponents should DD fight, that would fit in his world, but would be different from his past villains? Should he have a reoccurring serial killer villain? Should he fight a cult that recruits normal denizens of Hell's Kitchen into its ranks by promising them hope in hopeless times? I also find it surprising that Matt doesn't have a corrupt lawyer as a reoccurring villain, that seems to write itself.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fear is a corrupt lawyer - well, he was one. I actually hope whatever retcon hides Matt Murdock's identity also hides Lawrence Cranston's identity. That being said, a new one wouldn't hurt.

I'd love to see a new villain. Not sure what it would take. A memorable storyline, opportunities for future stories are two factors. Who was the last successful new villain? Was it Typhoid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: