Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Charles Soule and Ron Garney -- New DAREDEVIL team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie wrote:
Right. I agree that having specific knowledge of what you're writing about is more likely to help than hinder. Soule just needs to also read a lot of DD so that he knows DD inside-out and can combine his DD knowledge with the other specific knowledge to create good stories.

One minor concern I have is that Soule is known to be a pretty progressive guy. I hope him writing about immigration doesn't become overwrought with sentiment and doesn't dominate too many storylines. I'd like DD to stay more or less neutral politically as much as possible, maybe a little bit centre-left if Soule must. But don't go overboard.
I think I recall in the Bendis run that people of New York approached Matt about running for Mayor on the left so he very well be a registered democrat.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Charles Soule's work, really. The legal experience is an interesting wrinkle, but to hear him talk about it, he barely considers himself a lawyer by occupation, anyways. Not sure how large of a factor that will actually play.

His reverence for Waid's run is a bit of a red flag.
This 'All-New' Marvel reboot is sort of a company-wide hard reset, and no book needs that reset button slammed harder than Daredevil. Waid took over from the much-maligned Andy Diggle, and I remember very vividly that his comments on the run that preceded his were borderline contemptuous. As they should have been, considering the stylistic shift he was attempting. We're not really getting that from Soule, but then, he might just have more tact than Waid. (Not the most complicated juggling act to pull off)

Ron Garney joining the book is excellent. I've wanted to see him get a proper crack at DD for a long while, and his one-off foray in the early '90s looked amazing.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding how large a factor it'll play, if She-Hulk is any indication, it'll be noticeable. Not noticeable in the sense that it's a legal story first (although it was still quite a focus there), but noticeable in the attention to detail. It's not going to be a half-assed legal sounding thing that doesn't make any sense. If there's something that gets mentioned, it'll probably either be close to accurate or changed because that's necessary for the plot.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
I'm not familiar with Charles Soule's work, really. The legal experience is an interesting wrinkle, but to hear him talk about it, he barely considers himself a lawyer by occupation, anyways. Not sure how large of a factor that will actually play.

His reverence for Waid's run is a bit of a red flag.
This 'All-New' Marvel reboot is sort of a company-wide hard reset, and no book needs that reset button slammed harder than Daredevil. Waid took over from the much-maligned Andy Diggle, and I remember very vividly that his comments on the run that preceded his were borderline contemptuous. As they should have been, considering the stylistic shift he was attempting. We're not really getting that from Soule, but then, he might just have more tact than Waid. (Not the most complicated juggling act to pull off)

Ron Garney joining the book is excellent. I've wanted to see him get a proper crack at DD for a long while, and his one-off foray in the early '90s looked amazing.

Well the fact is some people did like Waid's run and it would be really bad form for Soule to bad mouth Waid before he takes over his writing duties. I would expect Soule to do his own thing rather then ape Waid.

Anyway Soule is planning on introducing some new villains and I have got a couple of questions, what do you think it takes for a new DD villain to stick around, rather then fall by the wayside when a new writer takes over? It seems like of the villains Nocenti created, only Typhoid Mary has any staying power, guys like Bullet and Bushwacker might show up once in a blue moon and most of the rest have been completely forgotten.

Also what kind of opponents should DD fight, that would fit in his world, but would be different from his past villains? Should he have a reoccurring serial killer villain? Should he fight a cult that recruits normal denizens of Hell's Kitchen into its ranks by promising them hope in hopeless times? I also find it surprising that Matt doesn't have a corrupt lawyer as a reoccurring villain, that seems to write itself.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fear is a corrupt lawyer - well, he was one. I actually hope whatever retcon hides Matt Murdock's identity also hides Lawrence Cranston's identity. That being said, a new one wouldn't hurt.

I'd love to see a new villain. Not sure what it would take. A memorable storyline, opportunities for future stories are two factors. Who was the last successful new villain? Was it Typhoid?

LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Who was the last successful new villain? Was it Typhoid?

For all the hate Waid gets around here, people seem to really like Ikari. I liked Coyote as well. Prior to Waid, the last significant villain was likely Lady Bullseye. I can't remember if there were any good new villains between her and Typhoid, but if I can't remember them, it's not a good sign.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LightningandIce wrote:
Mike Murdock wrote:

For all the hate Waid gets around here, people seem to really like Ikari. I liked Coyote as well. Prior to Waid, the last significant villain was likely Lady Bullseye. I can't remember if there were any good new villains between her and Typhoid, but if I can't remember them, it's not a good sign.

Bendis' run was more street-level, so the villains introduced tended to be people like Sammy Silke, who was - for a time - a legitimate threat. But, obviously, hasn't been used since Bendis left.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Silke was clearly intended to be a one-off villain. His entire story resolves itself after the first story.

LightningandIce wrote:
Mike Murdock wrote:

Ooh, good point about Lady Bullseye. She definitely should count. I haven't gotten all the way through Waid's run yet, but I've gotten to Coyote. Definitely creepy.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Mr. Fear is a corrupt lawyer - well, he was one. I actually hope whatever retcon hides Matt Murdock's identity also hides Lawrence Cranston's identity. That being said, a new one wouldn't hurt.

Cranston has only 3 story arcs and really only the second one had him manipulating legal system. Cranston is the closest thing DD has to a corrupt lawyer, but even he seems underdeveloped in that role.

I also don't think they have gotten a reoccurring serial killer villain (unless you count Bullseye, but since he is a hit man doesn't quite fit in with that category, IMO).

Plus I don't think there has ever been a good DD vs. a cult story. I suppose the Hand is a cult, but it doesn't seem like the type of cult that would recruit normal citizens into their ranks. Synn was involved with a cult, but that seemed to take a back seat to Synn wanting to steal Foggy's wife and displace the Kingpin.

Mike Murdock wrote:

I'd love to see a new villain. Not sure what it would take. A memorable storyline, opportunities for future stories are two factors. Who was the last successful new villain? Was it Typhoid?

I do think we need a villain who fills a different role that is not being filled in DD's rogues gallery. We don't need another merc or crime boss, DD already has a ton of those.

Mike Murdock wrote:
^ Silke was clearly intended to be a one-off villain. His entire story resolves itself after the first story.

LightningandIce wrote:
Mike Murdock wrote:

Ooh, good point about Lady Bullseye. She definitely should count. I haven't gotten all the way through Waid's run yet, but I've gotten to Coyote. Definitely creepy.

Yeah, Silke was clearly a one shot character and while entertaining, he seemed way too over his head to pose any real threat to DD in an ongoing way.

I gotta admit, I'm bit biased against female versions of male super villains, they don't seem very distinctive or original. So I'm not a huge Lady Bullseye fan.

I like Harley Quinn, because she seems to in the same vain as the Joker, without coming off as a knock off (she is not named Lady Joker or She-Joker or something like that and her costume seems different enough from Joker's to stand out from him).

Coyote and Ikari have the potential to be great reoccurring villains, but they need to be used by writers after Waid, otherwise they fall into obscurity.

Really Bullet and Bushwacker could have been great DD villains, if they were used well and consistently, which they have not been since the 90s.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MINOR SPOILERS!

So Daredevil's new apprentice is called "Blindspot"? Oh that's rough.

It's like Spider-Man's sidekick being called "Radioactive Spider" or Batman's sidekick being called "The Orphan". Makes sense for readers (kinda) but makes no sense in the universe.

Batman: Here's my new sidekick. The Orphan!
Joker: Um. Okay.
Batman: You know. Because my parents are dead.
Joker: What? Your parents are dead?
Batman: Yeah, doesn't everyone know...oh crap.
Joker: Dead parents...lots of gear...Bruce Wayne!
Batman: Oh crap.
The Orphan: And the weird thing is that I HAVE parents.

Okay. Staying positive. It's going to be great. It's going to be great.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So Daredevil's new apprentice is called "Blindspot"? Oh that's rough.

Thats the first and only thing (so far) thats given me any pause on Soule and Garney's upcoming run. Its a comic so they had to given him a codename/superhero name and all the good names are probably take at this point, but something not so on the nose would have been better I think.

I still have full faith that Soule knows what he's doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: