Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Somebody school me on Waid's run

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Somebody school me on Waid's run Reply with quote

Ok, so I gave up on Waid's run very quickly. I liked that he switched things up and took the character in a different direction but it wasn't for me.

So...

I need to know the most significant moments from his run. This is just in case anything from those stories bleed into the post-Secret War issues.

Thanks.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I love the story where Daredevil was kidnapped and taken to Latveria, where those nanites were put inside him taking away his heightened senses, but then his brain compensated. However, I would have to say the most significant moment in his run was probably the introduction of Ikari and the reveal of what happened to Bullseye. Those stories aren't very far apart from eachother, so they may even be in the same trade.

I checked it out and it seems I'm recommending Daredevil By Mark Waid Volume 4, which collects Volume 3 #16-21.
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't picked up the most recent issue yet, nor have I read the whole thing. My collection starts around issue 16, so I can't say for sure what happened before that, but here's the important stuff:

Matt has a new girlfriend. Her name is Kirsten, she's also an attorney, and is a also a grade A bitch. Apparently Waid thinks "strong female character" and "insufferable jerk" are the same thing.

Foggy has cancer.

Bullseye and Lady Bullseye are alive. They orchestrated a plot to create a couple new supervillains and send them to terrorize Matt. Matt won, obviously.

Matt discovered a racist secret society that had corrupted the courthouses or something so he decided to bring justice back or whatever. This led to a boring storyline that involved him meeting up with, I **** you not, a bunch of Halloween monsters. Like Frankenstein and a Mummy and stuff.

Anyway, this group tried to blackmail Matt, threatening to expose his secret identity, so he went public with it himself. This led to the group's capture, but also caused him to get disbarred, so Matt and friends move to San Francisco.

They faked Foggy's death, so he's now basically a prisoner in Matt and Kirsten's house as he battles cancer.

Matt gets into a feud with the Shroud over territory. Owl shows up as well, doing something with technology or something. They defeat him but still don't seem to be getting along, and Matt promises to help Shroud find his missing wife. Owl ends up possessed by computers or something.

In his Original Sin tie-in, Matt fights some woman in Africa and finds out his mother had post-partum depression after he was born.

Purple Man shows up. He has kids now who also have his powers, but Daredevil defeats them all. This is actually one of the better storylines in Waid's run.

Matt fights some old villain who rides a motorcycle. It's not really important.

Kirsten's father convinces Matt to write an autobiography.

He decides to dump the Daredevil costume, since everyone knows he is anyway, and switch it out for a red tuxedo.

Matt meets Owl's daughter, a vigilante named Jubula Pride. At almost the exact same time, Shroud shows up again. Shroud uses Owl's newfound internet powers to hijack computers and show the public some stuff about Matt, so he goes to see Kingpin for help.

That's as far as I've gotten. I'll fill you in on more as it goes on, if you want. Stuff that might be important later on:

-Kirsten, Matt's new girlfriend.
-Foggy's cancer
-Matt secret identity made public
-Matt moving to San Francisco
-Owl having tech powers. Maybe.
-New villains

And while we're at it, here are the new villains:

-Coyote: Looks like anorexic venom. Powers are identical to Spot's. Created by Bullseye, mostly works for him but also does his own crime on the side.

-Ikari: Looks like yellow Daredevil with a gi. Powers are pretty much the same as Matt's, but he can see as well. He was created by the Bullseyes to kill Matt and is pretty much their henchman.

-Purple Children: Purple Man's kids, similar telekinetic mind control powers that are amplified the more of them are together. Killgrave tried to round them up but they resisted and went to have fun. Daredevil rounded them up, gave them a stern talking to, and they apparently lost their powers, but who knows.

-Jubula Pride: Owl's daughter. She's a good fighter and has something to do with selling technology to criminals. Her story is still ongoing.

So I hope this helped. I'll fill you in as we go along.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dude, greatly appreciate it!

I'm glad I didn't stick with Waid's run, it certainly doesn't sound like I would have enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a lighter DD. I still enjoy Stan Lee's first issues and Loeb/Sale's Yellow was awesome.

I really hope Soule brings the character back into the shadows, even if just a little.
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash-n-Bone wrote:
Thanks dude, greatly appreciate it!

I'm glad I didn't stick with Waid's run, it certainly doesn't sound like I would have enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a lighter DD. I still enjoy Stan Lee's first issues and Loeb/Sale's Yellow was awesome.

I really hope Soule brings the character back into the shadows, even if just a little.

yes...yes and yes dammit!
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LightningandIce wrote:
I haven't picked up the most recent issue yet, nor have I read the whole thing. My collection starts around issue 16, so I can't say for sure what happened before that, but here's the important stuff:

Matt has a new girlfriend. Her name is Kirsten, she's also an attorney, and is a also a grade A bitch. Apparently Waid thinks "strong female character" and "insufferable jerk" are the same thing.

Foggy has cancer.

Bullseye and Lady Bullseye are alive. They orchestrated a plot to create a couple new supervillains and send them to terrorize Matt. Matt won, obviously.

Matt discovered a racist secret society that had corrupted the courthouses or something so he decided to bring justice back or whatever. This led to a boring storyline that involved him meeting up with, I **** you not, a bunch of Halloween monsters. Like Frankenstein and a Mummy and stuff.

Anyway, this group tried to blackmail Matt, threatening to expose his secret identity, so he went public with it himself. This led to the group's capture, but also caused him to get disbarred, so Matt and friends move to San Francisco.

They faked Foggy's death, so he's now basically a prisoner in Matt and Kirsten's house as he battles cancer.

Matt gets into a feud with the Shroud over territory. Owl shows up as well, doing something with technology or something. They defeat him but still don't seem to be getting along, and Matt promises to help Shroud find his missing wife. Owl ends up possessed by computers or something.

In his Original Sin tie-in, Matt fights some woman in Africa and finds out his mother had post-partum depression after he was born.

Purple Man shows up. He has kids now who also have his powers, but Daredevil defeats them all. This is actually one of the better storylines in Waid's run.

Matt fights some old villain who rides a motorcycle. It's not really important.

Kirsten's father convinces Matt to write an autobiography.

He decides to dump the Daredevil costume, since everyone knows he is anyway, and switch it out for a red tuxedo.

Matt meets Owl's daughter, a vigilante named Jubula Pride. At almost the exact same time, Shroud shows up again. Shroud uses Owl's newfound internet powers to hijack computers and show the public some stuff about Matt, so he goes to see Kingpin for help.

That's as far as I've gotten. I'll fill you in on more as it goes on, if you want. Stuff that might be important later on:

-Kirsten, Matt's new girlfriend.
-Foggy's cancer
-Matt secret identity made public
-Matt moving to San Francisco
-Owl having tech powers. Maybe.
-New villains

And while we're at it, here are the new villains:

-Coyote: Looks like anorexic venom. Powers are identical to Spot's. Created by Bullseye, mostly works for him but also does his own crime on the side.

-Ikari: Looks like yellow Daredevil with a gi. Powers are pretty much the same as Matt's, but he can see as well. He was created by the Bullseyes to kill Matt and is pretty much their henchman.

-Purple Children: Purple Man's kids, similar telekinetic mind control powers that are amplified the more of them are together. Killgrave tried to round them up but they resisted and went to have fun. Daredevil rounded them up, gave them a stern talking to, and they apparently lost their powers, but who knows.

-Jubula Pride: Owl's daughter. She's a good fighter and has something to do with selling technology to criminals. Her story is still ongoing.

So I hope this helped. I'll fill you in as we go along.

I kinda like the fact that Waid created some new villains, Coyote and Ikrai have potential, though I don't like they are more hired guns, DD needs more villains with their own agenda rather then more hired guns, IMO. I also like the fact Owl has a daugther, it makes him seem human rather then a stereotypical super villain.

Also I think Waid's supposed slavish reference for the Silver Age is a bit overblown, I don't think the Purple Man and Bullseye arcs he wrote would flown in the 60s.
Daredevil51
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really hoping Soule can bring DD back to his grassroots, and they completely ignore everything Waid has done as non-canon. Matt outing his own secret identity might be one of the stupidest things I can think of. Daredevil needs to be a mystery to his adversaries again, everybody knowing who he is takes away one of the most exciting parts of the story to me. I'm also extremely bias against Waid's current take on my favorite Marvel superhero though.

Miller/Janson Vol 1
Miller/Janson Vol 3
Miller/Janson Vol 2
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do appear to be resetting the identity thing, although I would argue that it was Bendis, not Waid, that created that in the first place.

My hope is they pick and choose elements they like and don't like rather than reset everything.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They do appear to be resetting the identity thing, although I would argue that it was Bendis, not Waid, that created that in the first place.

Bendis certainly started the ball rolling, but Ed Brubaker did a nice job of dealing with the secret identity for the most part. Sure everyone still "knew" that Matt was Daredevil, but none could prove it. He, Foggy, and Becky were back working for the most part. Sure villains would continue to be a problem, but as far as Matt working as a lawyer and the public at large, no one cared anymore. The genie wasn't back in the bottle, but the genie could easily have been ignored.

Then Mark Waid dragged the genie out into the street, murdered it, and left its corpse on display for all to see.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree there's a difference, when it comes to a) No one in the public knows his identity, b) Everyone knows it but can't prove it, and c) Everyone knows it as an accepted fact, there's a much bigger distance between A and B than B and C.

Since they appear to be resetting his identity, I hope they go back to A, not B. B, to me, isn't sustainable. You either have some convoluted reason for it to go back to A (often involving a fake twin brother faking his death) or you go to C.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: