Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #15.1 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #15.1?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #15.1 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #15.1 ships May 20th, by Waid and Samnee, Guggenheim and Krause, and Chris Samnee writing & drawing a story.

Here's a preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V4-015-1

Please use this thread to discuss the issue!
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh... isn't a preview supposed to convince the reader? In the very first page there's basically everything I've come to hate about Waid's run.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
uh... isn't a preview supposed to convince the reader? In the very first page there's basically everything I've come to hate about Waid's run.

Agree 100%. Its like all of Waid's worst tendencies compressed into one page.

Kirsten being an annoying twit.

Juvenile jokes that belong in an Archie comic for 8 yr olds.

Foggy being "out of character cancer boy" and a gluttonous slob.

Matt's 2nd most out of character action in 40 years: The book about his life.

Matt's most out of character action in 40 years: Putting on that suit

I'm done spending money on this series until Mark Waid is long gone. Issue 14 was my last. "Luckily" I've got a bud who'll buy anything and will let me read his issues out of morbid curiosity, so yeah I'm gonna be commenting on this train wreck until the end. I'm hoping for a total (unlikely) restart after Secret War. If we get it, I'll be selling off my 1-14 of volume 4 and just let vol 3 stand as the finale of the original Man Without Fear. Thats the last time he appeared anyway. And really, its 14 issues of volume 4 of a series thats likely about to be restarted again for the 3rd time in 5 years. Who cares anymore. My collection won't miss them. Also, I dread what stupidity Waid has in store for Wilson Fisk.

And after this last season of amateur plotting, characterization, and characters on Arrow, I'm not at all interested in Marc Guggenheim writing Daredevil.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
Matt's 2nd most out of character action in 40 years: The book about his life.

I was also bothered by the autobiography... until it was revealed that the advance was going towards Foggy's cancer treatment. Then I could understand Matt's choice.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with you about Volume 4. I'll acknowledge there have been good moments, but they haven't added up to much. I'm not going to quit though. What would the protest trigger? Waid and Samnee are already leaving. There's only three issues left.

I've quit Daredevil before, but only when there was a creative team that was driving me nuts, and no sign of them leaving.

Last edited by Dimetre on Sun May 17, 2015 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, about the story itself, it's clear that there's the opening that's modern day Mark Waid, but that the story is a flashback written by others. If you have a problem with Waid, perhaps that's something that can appeal to you? I know Arrow fans aren't too thrilled with Mark Guggenheim right now, but I'm interested in his take.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was also bothered by the autobiography... until it was revealed that the advance was going towards Foggy's cancer treatment. Then I could understand Matt's choice.

I would buy this as Matt's reasoning if he was still acting like Matt in the other aspects of his life. Thats the problem with what Waid is doing. Its not just one or two things, it lots of things that are out of character. Its still a stretch that Matt and Foggy couldn't find some other way to pay for the medical bills that didn't involve insulting every person Matt has ever known, including and most importantly himself. The two of them used to be pretty smart guys. Also in volume 4 Matt has been shown a couple of times to be very frivolous with the money they do have, even while he and Kirsten's firm is struggling. This doesn't match up with being desperate to pay the medical bills of his best friend, or again, Matt's history of being a pretty sharp guy.

Also, even if Foggy knew the reason for the book (if I'm remembering correctly, he doesn't.) He would still be the last person to go along with it, and the first person to call Matt a fool for even considering it.

I'm not trying to protest anything by dropping the book. I'm just tired of wasting money, even if its just a few bucks a month. I own, in one format or another, almost every Daredevil story back to around 1974. Other than End of Days and a bunch of one-shots and annuals from the 90s, this is the only time I haven't wanted to own a particular Daredevil run/story. Thats how off the rails I think Waid has gone over the last 18-24 months.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why anything Waid is doing with Matt right now is surprising anyone.From day 1 when he forced his tongue down some mobster's brides's throat and wore a sweater that reads"I'm not Daredevil"I knew we were in for some drastic changes.He's become the Archie version of Spider-Man.Not even Bullseye could have hoped to destroy Daredevil this bad.I've endured a few bad runs in my time as a Daredevil reader but this is brainless. I really hope the next writer restores some kind of dignity to the series,clearly due to praises from all over the internet Waid seems like to think he can do know wrong.That's what happens when you massage a diva's ego.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to the one panel where the Ultimate Universe Earth collapses with this one and the whole Marvel Universe is erased.
I just hope it will go without Matt or his obnoxious girlfriend cracking one of their tedious funnies.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave this a 2. My finger slipped. I meant to click the 1.

Pointless nothing of a story that blatantly ignores Matt Murdock's history, both the Miller and Lee versions of his origin.

They seriously get Matt's name wrong on one page. Both in spelling and what his full name actually is. Does Marvel even have editors anymore?

Pathetic.

The only praise I can give this issue is Samnee's art (minus the pages with the stupid new suit).
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
I don't see why anything Waid is doing with Matt right now is surprising anyone.From day 1 when he forced his tongue down some mobster's brides's throat and wore a sweater that reads"I'm not Daredevil"I knew we were in for some drastic changes.He's become the Archie version of Spider-Man.Not even Bullseye could have hoped to destroy Daredevil this bad.I've endured a few bad runs in my time as a Daredevil reader but this is brainless. I really hope the next writer restores some kind of dignity to the series,clearly due to praises from all over the internet Waid seems like to think he can do know wrong.That's what happens when you massage a diva's ego.

BAM!!!!..
Well said...

and for the record I don't want MG either.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does 15.1 work as a standalone story? If I'm aware of Waid's run but haven't read it yet, would anything get ruined?

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've been reading the threads discussing the issues on the board, no. Basically, Waid handles the 'frame narrative'. (It's been a long time since I was in a Lit class. I think that's the term I want.)

So, in this case, Foggy is ghost-writing Matt's autobiography. That's really all you need to know going in. Kirsten has a question.

Cue Flashback #1 by Gugenheim. (Who, as RG Designer says above, gets Matt's name wrong. And tweaks the origin. Story is set post-law school but pre-Nelson and Murdock.)

Back to the present, briefly. Discussion turns to a new topic.

Cue Flashback #2 by Samnee.

End.

(So, I guess it's not a true frame narrative, now I think of it, or we'd have one more scene in the present.)
thomam
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Subscription?/ Reply with quote

Does 15.1 come with my Marvel DD subscription or do I need to go pick it up at the store?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guggenheim story isn't bad, apart from the name mistake and the fact that it doesn't illustrate how Matt being Daredevil isn't a huge conflict of interest. Krause's art does get sloppy in a few panels, but I thought the story was okay.

Samnee's story with Diablo was negligible. I appreciate the point the story was making, that no villain is laughable. None of us are going to remember this story, though.

The problem with this issue was the framing piece. Obviously these stories were already written and drawn, and Waid cobbled together this little scene with Matt, Kirsten and Foggy. As I said earlier, the Guggenheim story fails to answer Kirsten's concern over conflict of interest. The jab about the Tri-Man undercuts the point about no villain being laughable. (Plus, I can't help but recall Matt laughing about the Owl at the beginning of Volume 4.) The absence of one final page with Matt, Kirsten and Foggy to round out the issue makes this entire issue feel like a toss-off. I give it a 2.
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so..what I gather from the comments...

same crap different writer..

no to Guggenheim..

Next!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: