Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club - Redemption
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm three issues in, and I'm very much enjoying re-reading this series.

The strengths in this issue are the same as the strengths in the previous two. The story beats are very well thought out. The wall with the nails in it is a very powerful image. The pastor's sermon was incredibly disturbing.

However...

Constance finding the bite marks from the photographs when the coroner said those marks were from a stick and a belt seems a bit off. I suppose we can assume that the coroner is in on the act to target Flood, but Constance seems like such a newbie that it's weird she's the one who figures it out. I suppose it's possible. However, wouldn't the forensic orthodontist want to see the actual body, not just the photographs? I'm not crime scene investigator or a lawyer, but in order for the forensic orthodontist to declare them to be "undoubtedly" bite marks and offer to appear as an expert witness, wouldn't he need more than just photographs to confirm his findings? I may be wrong. We seem to have some lawyers in Book Club. What do you guys think?

But this is obviously a well-planned story. I like the choice to draw Howard Gideon the way Gaydos did, because it plays into a key moment in the plot. Hine and Gaydos have done such a good job working together. I'd love to read another comic done by them.

4.5/5
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I'm three issues in, and I'm very much enjoying re-reading this series.

The strengths in this issue are the same as the strengths in the previous two. The story beats are very well thought out. The wall with the nails in it is a very powerful image. The pastor's sermon was incredibly disturbing.

However...

Constance finding the bite marks from the photographs when the coroner said those marks were from a stick and a belt seems a bit off. I suppose we can assume that the coroner is in on the act to target Flood, but Constance seems like such a newbie that it's weird she's the one who figures it out. I suppose it's possible. However, wouldn't the forensic orthodontist want to see the actual body, not just the photographs? I'm not crime scene investigator or a lawyer, but in order for the forensic orthodontist to declare them to be "undoubtedly" bite marks and offer to appear as an expert witness, wouldn't he need more than just photographs to confirm his findings? I may be wrong. We seem to have some lawyers in Book Club. What do you guys think?

But this is obviously a well-planned story. I like the choice to draw Howard Gideon the way Gaydos did, because it plays into a key moment in the plot. Hine and Gaydos have done such a good job working together. I'd love to read another comic done by them.

4.5/5

Considering this issue suggested there is a corrupt and cozy relationship between Howard Gideon and the Sheriff, I can image the forensic report being tainted.

This issue seems to have more of political bent to it, with Howard Gideon making the conservative "Liberal Elite" argument against Murdock and the preacher making social conservative arguments about getting rid of any "unchristian" materials in one's home, that often stokes up a mob mentality.

The mystery deepens a bit, with Howard making himself look more guilty by purposely knocking out his own teeth (his interactions with the Sheriff also makes him seem corrupt and sinister) so far the book makes him look pretty guilty, we will have to wait to see whether he is truly guilty or whether this is just a red herring. Also it seems like Daredevil is getting in the way rather then helping, because Howard can just blame DD for his teeth getting knocked out, it seems like Matt really doesn't need his alter ego for this case.

The art work is still great, I will give this issue 4 stars.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually post on Wednesdays, but I'll get mine in today.

This issue picks up where the last one left off. It seems risky for Matt to be outside the dad's house dressed in his Daredevil costume. There's a sort of silver age aspect of "Daredevil's a friend of the law firm." On the other hand, the tone is far, far from that. Matt comes off reckless being in costume and the assumption is that Daredevil is a hired gun to intimidate them.

The family background continues to grow. Guilty or innocent, you start to get the sense of how Joel could have become a troubled child. The family is just oppressive in a way that's unsettling. Even as words on print, that sin room is just creepy. Joel's dad, frozen in his stare is just as bad.

On the story front, there's a moment of hope with the teeth marks. Obviously, Candice is relatively new and that might seem odd, but she's certainly a better candidate to notice that Matt. It's not that strange that something would be missed. Of course, the sign of hope ends quickly as word leaks to the father who pulls out his teeth. While it's about to get worse next issue, it's still satisfactorily disturbing on an issue of disturbing moments.

Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next up:

Daredevil: Redemption #4

10/24

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Constance says it all in this issue.
Quote:
..If Daredevil hadn't been there last night, it would have been a lot harder for Gideon to explain what happened. I think you should tell him to back off, because he really isn't helping.

This is such a strange thing for me to type, but Daredevil is really getting in the way of this story. Matt, throughout this story, has been displayed such intelligence and nobility, but it seems that every time he puts on the red costume, he undoes all of his hard work. And it's getting harder and harder to tell how Matt could have thought putting on the costume was a good idea each time.

Otherwise, Hein and Gaydos have more spell-binding work in this issue. The highlight, this time, has to be the mother's recollection of her abuse and Amos' stroke. It's absolutely heartbreaking. Reading this, it's amazing to think this is a Marvel comic. This is very daring material for the company that brought you Squirrel Girl (who I like). You have to give them props.

But this issue makes it seem as though Daredevil is being clumsily shoved into this plot to justify it being a Marvel comic, and this issue, it doesn't feel right. This issue makes it feel like the story would be better served by an independent comics publisher who didn't require appearances by a superhero. It probably wouldn't have sold as well if it were put out under the Icon banner, but it would have been more honest.

There is still some great work being done by Hine and Gaydos in this issue, but the choice to make this a Daredevil story is threatening this entire project.

3/5
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said before that "Daredevil as friend of the law firm" is a silver age trope, but it certainly comes off with a very different tone here - as reckless and irresponsible. There was no need for Daredevil to be there and, if he wasn't there, that would strengthen their case for reasonable doubt. Certainly, that's probably the biggest legitimate criticism. I think it fits Matt's personality, so it's something I can tolerate, although it doesn't make sense for rational people to do. Contance's thoughts on vigilante would have been good to explore in a little more detail. Shows and movies always have police and prosecutors with issues. Defense attorneys would likely have quite a few causes to complain as well.

Next is the voice simulator. I have to say, the build up to this is pretty impressive. It was foreshadowed in the second issue with the finger and ordered in the third. The idea of an alibi was big from the beginning. So this is a big moment in the story. And, of course, it's creeptastic as always. Obviously, the legal drama is the draw of the story, but it's really about Joel Flood and his family and this claustorphobic tone that judges and causes them all to act the way they do (although, maybe after knowing the truth, they could ask if Joel was there rather than "your son").

Towards the end, at your friendly neighborhood book burning, it's Daredevil being reckless again. Well, I guess there's multiple ways to view the scene. The other big thing is how much hatred there is and the desperate need for an outlet. While they might want to use Daredevil as the outlet that night, it's Joel Flood tomorrow. And, next week, the trial will start.

I like this issue a lot. Like I said, it's the community, the family, etc. that create the big complicated tapestry that makes up this whole thing. Four and a Half Stars.I said before that "Daredevil as friend of the law firm" is a silver age trope, but it certainly comes off with a very different tone here - as reckless and irresponsible. There was no need for Daredevil to be there and, if he wasn't there, that would strengthen their case for reasonable doubt. Contance's thoughts on vigilante would have been good to explore in a little more detail. Shows and movies always have police and prosecutors with issues. Defense attorneys would likely have quite a few causes to complain as well.

Next is the voice simulator. I have to say, the build up to this is pretty impressive. It was foreshadowed in the second issue with the finger and ordered in the third. The idea of an alibi was big from the beginning. So this is a big moment in the story. And, of course, it's creeptastic as always. Obviously, the legal drama is the draw of the story, but it's really about Joel Flood and his family and this claustorphobic tone that judges and causes them all to act the way they do (although, maybe after knowing the truth, they could ask if Joel was there rather than "your son").

Towards the end, at your friendly neighborhood book burning, it's Daredevil being reckless again. Well, I guess there's multiple ways to view the scene. The other big thing is how much hatred there is and the desperate need for an outlet. While they might want to use Daredevil as the outlet that night, it's Joel Flood tomorrow. And, next week, the trial will start.

I like this issue a lot. Like I said, it's the community, the family, etc. that create the big complicated tapestry that makes up this whole thing. Four and a Half Stars.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I think Constance says it all in this issue.
Quote:
..If Daredevil hadn't been there last night, it would have been a lot harder for Gideon to explain what happened. I think you should tell him to back off, because he really isn't helping.

This is such a strange thing for me to type, but Daredevil is really getting in the way of this story. Matt, throughout this story, has been displayed such intelligence and nobility, but it seems that every time he puts on the red costume, he undoes all of his hard work. And it's getting harder and harder to tell how Matt could have thought putting on the costume was a good idea each time.

Otherwise, Hein and Gaydos have more spell-binding work in this issue. The highlight, this time, has to be the mother's recollection of her abuse and Amos' stroke. It's absolutely heartbreaking. Reading this, it's amazing to think this is a Marvel comic. This is very daring material for the company that brought you Squirrel Girl (who I like). You have to give them props.

But this issue makes it seem as though Daredevil is being clumsily shoved into this plot to justify it being a Marvel comic, and this issue, it doesn't feel right. This issue makes it feel like the story would be better served by an independent comics publisher who didn't require appearances by a superhero. It probably wouldn't have sold as well if it were put out under the Icon banner, but it would have been more honest.

There is still some great work being done by Hine and Gaydos in this issue, but the choice to make this a Daredevil story is threatening this entire project.

3/5

Well let's face it, there is not much Daredevil can do in this situation, its not like there was some big bad super villain like Bullseye around for Daredevil to beat up. Sure Daredevil can beat anyone in the town in the fight, but that will not free Joel and DD would not seem heroic beating up an 11 year old girl, no matter if the girl threw a stone at him first.

This really is Matt Murdock's story and there is not much DD can contribute, but DD has to appear because his name is in the title. This would be like a story about Clark Kent investigating a story, he doesn't need to become Superman, but does anyway because Superman has to appear.

Anyway, I mostly liked this issue, the story with the mother was dark, it painted the town as more intolerant that they are blaming Joel for something his grandfather did. We also see some more of this small town corrupt, with the Sheriff trying to influence the judge on this case and wanting to protect Howard Gideon, because Howard has some dirt on him. The art is still great, I give this issue 3 and a half stars.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next up:

Daredevil: Redemption #5

10/31

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no other way to describe this issue other than top-notch courtroom drama. I'm not one of this website's cadre of lawyers, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the legal proceedings, but I find it riveting, and full of great character moments.

Hine lets you know from the first page how badly the deck is stacked against Matt and his client. Even after the jury selection process, every juror seems to be prejudiced against Joel Flood from the start, and the judge as well.

Yet, in the face of all this, Matt's faith in the system is unshakeable. After aggressively questioning a policeman on the stand, and being warned of the danger of such behavior in Redemption, Matt asks Constance, "Who is the jury glaring at? Me, or the trooper Shawcross?" She replies, "Hmmm... Eight to four against you." Then, in the next panel, Gaydos draws the most subtle of smiles on Matt's face as he says, "Four's a start." I absolutely love that. Matt never gives up. He's going to give this his best, and go for the win. A hero in and out of the costume.

And you won't see the costume in this issue, and after the last two issues, I have to admit, that's a relief. In those issues, Matt's Daredevil identity did nothing but endanger the case. You don't need Daredevil, especially in this issue. Matt is hero enough.

I don't think I have a single bad thing to say about this issue, or even anything at which to nitpick.

5/5
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I think we pretty much agree beat for beat here.

This is it, the trial. 12 jurors to decide the fate of these three. 12 jurors who all have read the stories and are coming in with their own beliefs about guilt. It certainly starts with a sense of foreboding. The trial stuff is good. It's the highlights, not the whole thing because trials (particularly of the capital kind) are kind of long (if you pay attention, closing arguments are on Day 25). For what it's worth, Saul's lawyers questions probably were admissible. They could be denied, but they are admissible. Still, aside from that moment (where it's implied the defense attorney is amateurishly stepping on Matt's toes, which he might be, I don't know), the trend is pretty consistent of poking holes, but could it be enough to raise a doubt (obviously, the prosecution's case is not non-existent. It's based on a claimed confession by one and a claimed admission by another to a third party).

Then things seem to fall apart. First, Matt's attempt to call the father to the stand seemed to just piss people off (I'm not sure if he was the right person to call to establish that he's a suspect). Then Joel testifies. It's a very limited line of questioning but it certainly raises his religious beliefs (to rebut the prosecution). Still, it's not a great way to essentially close out the case. Good closing arguments and then, verdict...

As far as courtroom scenes, this is among the best in comic books (and I'd argue in any work of fiction), but that's not a very high standard and it's par for the course for this story, which has felt very authentic. The story did everything it's supposed to do without Daredevil randomly showing up to screw things up. Five Stars.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
^ I think we pretty much agree beat for beat here.

This is it, the trial. 12 jurors to decide the fate of these three. 12 jurors who all have read the stories and are coming in with their own beliefs about guilt. It certainly starts with a sense of foreboding. The trial stuff is good. It's the highlights, not the whole thing because trials (particularly of the capital kind) are kind of long (if you pay attention, closing arguments are on Day 25). For what it's worth, Saul's lawyers questions probably were admissible. They could be denied, but they are admissible. Still, aside from that moment (where it's implied the defense attorney is amateurishly stepping on Matt's toes, which he might be, I don't know), the trend is pretty consistent of poking holes, but could it be enough to raise a doubt (obviously, the prosecution's case is not non-existent. It's based on a claimed confession by one and a claimed admission by another to a third party).

Then things seem to fall apart. First, Matt's attempt to call the father to the stand seemed to just piss people off (I'm not sure if he was the right person to call to establish that he's a suspect). Then Joel testifies. It's a very limited line of questioning but it certainly raises his religious beliefs (to rebut the prosecution). Still, it's not a great way to essentially close out the case. Good closing arguments and then, verdict...

As far as courtroom scenes, this is among the best in comic books (and I'd argue in any work of fiction), but that's not a very high standard and it's par for the course for this story, which has felt very authentic. The story did everything it's supposed to do without Daredevil randomly showing up to screw things up. Five Stars.

Yeah, the court scenes are not perfect, but interesting none the less.

Matt is trying to win a case on facts and the prosecutor is trying to win a case on emotion, though I think the prosecutor will win.

One thing I think is interesting is all this talk about Satanism, in comic book people worship the being called Satan and can summon evil demons to do their bidding. In the real world, most Satanists do not actually worship Satan, the Church of Satan is merely a bunch of atheists who like the idea of Satan rebelling against God and created this church to mock Christianity, but they don't sacrifice children to devil. It seems like Joel was a "Satanist" he would be more like the real world Satanist, not the comic book demon worshipers. Though Joel seems agnostic more then anything else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Satan

This probably why Matt tore the "Satanism" expert apart, there is no way 10,000 children were being sacrificed to the devil each year. I suppose Matt could explain this difference, but such things may be lost in this small town deep South setting and in the Marvel Universe, there are real demon worshipers who do evil things, so maybe Satanism is more of a problem there.

I think Matt made a mistake by calling Howard to the stand, seeing as he could play on the Jury's emotions. The fact that the judge would not allow Matt to bring up the relationship between Howard and the police seemed to indicate the trial was biased.

The art is still great though. I think this issue proved why this is Matt Murdock's story, not Daredevil's, there really is not much DD can do here to save Joel and his friends.

Anyway I will give this issue 4 and half stars.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil: Redemption #6

Due 11/7

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we are, the last issue of a great Daredevil mini-series. This series was way better than I remembered.

I like the way this issue begins. The last issue ended with Matt being told that the jury reached a verdict. This issue begins seven years ahead of that with Matt reading a letter from Emily Flood, filling in everything that happened in the intervening years. It gives the moment a lot of weight. The next page goes back seven years to the judge giving his sentence.

I like the way Matt ends the conversation with Constance, in regards to her feelings about Daredevil.

Then we get to Joel's request of Matt. This is what I remembered most about this series in the years since I first read it.

I've wrestled with my feelings in regards to this issue for a long time. Daredevil, more than any other superhero, has always stood for justice. I feel like Hine and Gaydos have done something very smart here. In this case, Matt is witnessing a clear miscarriage of justice. He has done everything in his power as an attorney to correct that, and it just isn't enough. But Matt is Daredevil. He can stop the execution. However he doesn't.

Does Matt's respect for the judicial system outweigh his quest for justice? It's difficult, still, for me to figure out why Matt doesn't stop it. I think he wants to.

I don't have as much of a problem with this as I do with Volume 2, #40, where Matt allows Hector Ayala to die. In that case, Matt knew that the police were going to fire, and he could have pushed Hector out of the line of fire. Sure he would have erased any doubt of his superhero identity, but that would have been an interesting problem for Matt to deal with, and Bendis was going there anyway.

I guess the reason why I can handle Redemption better than #40 is because Matt was trying to solve this as Matt, and as such, he did absolutely everything he could. Also, it seems that the Floods had come to terms with the outcome. It's an incredibly sad moment. You can feel the sense of failure weighing down on Matt. Hine and Gaydos depict this scene masterfully. It's still controversial to me.

It comes off as a bit coincidental that Karla-Faye found the shoe on the day the executions finally took place. This story, however, does need an ending, and it gives us one.

I give this issue a 4 out of 5.

Anyway, I highly recommend Daredevil: Redemption to anyone who hasn't read it, and also to those who haven't read it in a long time.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue immediately cuts to the chase. There was a feeling of inevitability despite moments of hope, so I think it's fitting that they address it right away that Joel Flood gets sentenced to death. Alabama's the only state where the Judge determines death even if the jury recommended life (although this doesn't seem like the kind of case they would). Instead, the focus is on what follows is on the family, the town, etc.

By setting the issue in the past (I've commented on it being sorta set in the silver-age) allows this one to be the Bendis era where people can wonder about Daredevil. How he could rush in and stop a travesty of justice. And they don't mince words with the description of the execution either. Definitely heart-breaking. And, right after it happens, they find evidence to prove the father did it. May be a bit cliche, but I think it's handled well. The desire for blood-lust is just on the edge, but, at the end, he's going to stand trial and get convicted (and, hopefully, at least two that were wrongfully convicted will go free).

The rest of the issue is about closure. The Sheriff resigns after doing the right thing. Amos going blind was oddly cathartic. And the true killer gets sentenced.

A very strong closing to a strong story. Five Stars.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't post sooner, I have been busy this week.

I'm not sure there is much I can add, we find out the father did it, which isn't much of a shock, but really this story was more of a legal drama then a murder mystery. This was about a miscarriage of justice, it was pretty sad when Joel died. I like that the Sheriff did the right thing in the end, that he wasn't corrupt to the point of being totally immoral. I also liked why Howard killed his son, that his son was reading a porn mag and Howard felt that was a sin worthy of death. So it wasn't a Satanist who killed that boy, it was a Christian fundamentalist, who was emboldened by the town's local culture that seemed to justify things like that. I also like that Howard was haunted by DD at the end of the comic. A good to finish up this series, I give it 4 and half stars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: