Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Double-dipping on collections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Double-dipping on collections Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider myself a collector. My goal is to read comics, not necessarily have them. But the one exception I do have is Daredevil. It started as just a goal to read it, but I ordered physical copies because I didn't know about Marvel Unlimited (whose DD selection is somewhat lacking anyway, in fairness). Because of that, my preference is for TPB over single issues because it's way more affordable and way easier to store. But, for a lot of stories, single issues are the only way to go because there is no TPB.

That makes me torn about the new Widow's Kiss TPB. I bought issues 365 to 373 awhile back. Issue 373 may be among my favorites of all time. This TPB goes past that all the way to the end of Volume 1 at 380 (issues I probably wouldn't bother to buy otherwise). In addition, it has a few other issues I don't have. On the other hand, I already have most of the issues and issue 372 cost me $7 for a VG copy (because the laws of supply and demand have nothing to do with story quality but have to do with Ghost Rider fans wanting it too). The only other time I've double-dipped is when I bought the Bendis Ultimate collection, which had Hardcore (a TPB I bought separately). The plan is still to sell my copy of Hardcore, but I've had it for awhile and never bothered so who knows if I'll do that.

So what would you do? Should I buy this TPB? Should I sell my single issues? Or should I keep both?

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends what you value about the single issues you already own. I personally would buy the trade and keep both, but that's because I like the advertisements and paper quality of decades old comics.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got the money spare go for both.

Is that material in general worth getting for someone who has none of it?
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, this trade reprints what, 16 issues plus an annual? So, you have 9 of the 16 issues already, a little over half of the material reprinted here.

Myself, I'd go ahead and buy the TPB, especially if this is the first time this run or selection of issues has ever seen reprint. In this case, you'd get the entire run, available in one sitting.

Like you, I'm a reader, trades offer more convenience in storage and readability versus digging issues out of one of many comic boxes. I have no problem buying TPBs that reprint issues that I may have owned for years however, I am more hesitant over buying a trade that reprints material that I already own in an early trade. As you mentioned with the Bendis Ultimate collection, if I already owned Hardcore, then I would have just tracked down copies of the rest of those earlier trades that make up that collection instead of buying the newer edition. (In some cases, such copies may be found cheaper on-line).

As for the single issues, I'd keep them regardless (unless I absolutely needed the space or the money they would bring in).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: