Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #1 Previews, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #1?
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
64%
 64%  [ 11 ]
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #1 Previews, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #1 by Soule, Garney and Milla ships December 2nd, and here's a preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-001

Please use this thread for all discussion on the issue.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a GREAT first issue.

Very solid opener to what seems like is going to be a excellent arc. The best thing is that 90% of this first issue was based around Matt and Daredevil with supporting players making brief appearances. His dry wit is intact, as is the capability of becoming aggressive when provoked.

Having Chinatown and some of it's inhabitants play a large role is a good way of keeping things fresh. Blindspot may only appear briefly but you can already tell he's going to be very cool characters. Tenfingers is instantly very creepy and the cult leader aspect of his character really shines through.

In regards to art, Garney is on top form. The gritty style is perfect but still very different to what Maleev and many others did. I'll admit I prefer the way he draws DD to how he draws Matt and Foggy but there's nothing else I can really find fault in.

Milla's colours are effective, and I'm really digging the"tints" he uses while a single colour or two are really emphasised. It almost gives of a neo-Sin City vibe.

Overall 5/5. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS, just in case...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

An interesting first issue. The main thing I noticed was the muted colours, with the splashes of red and the "dots". Garney's art gave me a feeling of some Lee Weeks and Scott McDaniel influence on some of the layout and courtroom pages.
The whole secret identity is also strange... what did Matt do, did he make another deal with the Hand/Beast or even Mephisto? Does that explain the costume?
Blindspot is the guy at the end with Tenfingers, right?
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After four long years my Daredevil has returned!!!!! This issue was so good!!! And yes,I believe that was Sam Chung at the end.No more "I'm not Daredevil"garbage.I can't wait for issue 2 in two weeks!! WOOOOO!!!! GO SOULE AND GARNEY!!
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yes!

That was all I was going to write but I didn't notice that it was Blindspot at the end so re-read it. Nice touch showing his t-shirt after him and DD finish their conversation.

My only concern is the inclusion of a 'sidekick'. Having a protege is okay with me but I'm not overly interested in a Batman and Robin always side by side deal. It clearly isn't going to be that black and white anyway.

Having seen the previews of a return to a darker tone in the art area knowing we could probably expect a darker tone overall it was great to see that in effect by having Daredevil save some one first.

As Ash-n-Bone said above, the version of characterisation I love seems there all the way through this issue.

Even if the story doesn't eventually live up to this start it should still be a good journey and I want it in oversized hardcover looking at these pages.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another number one, and a new creative team.

This was a pretty good issue. We don't know what Matt did to make everyone but Foggy forget his secret identity. We don't know what's behind the costume change. We don't know why he has a knife in his billy club for the very first time. We don't know why Foggy is so pissed off. I trust all will be revealed.

Tenfingers seems like a pretty cool villain, but I'm wondering if he's going to be any different than another head of a gang, like the Owl or Hammerhead.

As for Blindspot, I think it would have been a lot better to have the readers build up trust for the character before revealing that he is, at the very least, a double agent. This makes Matt look very foolish.

I know it's been more than two decades since Garney last worked on Daredevil, and almost that long since I last saw his work in Captain America, but his style is so different now. Matt Milla's colours make this one of the most unique books Marvel is publishing right now. It certainly seems like one of the most serious. Almost all of the other Marvel books I've checked out under their "All New All Different" banner have this very irreverent tone. Daredevil has none of that.

I really enjoyed Matt's dialogue with Billy. Soule seems very comfortable writing such scenes. I'm surprised how different the tone of this book is from his She-Hulk series.

Although I think Soule should have waited a lot longer for the Blindspot reveal, and there is still so much to be explained, I'm going to stick around. (As if there were any doubt.) I gave this issue a 3.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing start.
Love the writing. Matt's characterization was spot on. Cant wait to see how his new position in the DA's office unfolds.

Loved the art. It was like some magical amalgamation of Miller, Weeks, and a dash or Romita Jr.

I can't wait to see where this goes and how Soule reveals the mysteries introduced in this first issue.

The only flaw I can see is for those who didn't read Blindspot's introduction in that Point One issue might feel like he was dropped in too abruptly. I read that so I didn't have that problem.
lonerangerninjutsu
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked it. It's hard to judge just a first issue whenever most of the plot is simply being hinted at at the moment, but from what I read and comprehended, the whole issue was dense with gorgeous imagery, interesting new narrative developments, a very accurately written Matt Murdock that was refreshing to read after Mark Waid's run, and the promise for some very interesting things to come.

4/5, though subject to change after reading later issues.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1's don't mean anything anymore. You only have to look at Marvel and DC's recent history. When you have new #1's without even having a change of creative team on many books you know it's done.

I've heard it mentioned by people at Marvel that they want to go in a television season style. That's fine if they just do it instead of pretending there is still weight to a numbered issue.

It's not much of a problem for me, I gave up single issues when I stopped reading comics years ago and when I restarted about eight years ago I stuck with collected editions. Last couple of years I started buying singles digitally and buying collections of stuff I liked in a proper format.

I can't imagine the wind up of being a singles collector having constant new #1's with all the variants out there all the time.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent introductory issue. Soule seems to have Matt's voice down (refreshing to see, given the doldrums if inconsistent characterization we've endured since the Diggle era) and appears to be allowing his legal experience to bleed in a bit, lending an authenticity to what would have otherwise been a very talky middle-chapter. Garney's art is stunning, and I particularly love the desaturated crimson coloring with the halftone-dots. It seems to evoke the essence of Miller/Janson with a twist of Scott McDaniel. Great breakdowns and gestures all around. After all the 'Serpent Society' / 'PimpDevil' / 'Kirsten Knows Best' sagas of recent years, it's refreshing to have a cult be explored as antagonists. I wasn't sure how to feel about Daredevil having a sidekick, but Soule seems to know where he's going. (I do need to check out that 0.5 issue, however, as I evidently missed his introduction)

I give it a 4/5, only because I think a summary blurb at the beginning to briefly explain Blindspot and how Daredevil got his secret identity back might have been to the comic's advantage in recruiting returning readers.

This is the first ongoing Daredevil comic I've purchased since 2011. And I intend to continue doing so. I suppose that's the most glowing endorsement I can give.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty solid start. It's certainly refreshing to not have the secret identity 'out there'. It's been a while.
Liking the artwork a LOT.
Best single issue I've read in a long time. All very promising, which is a big deal coming from a jaded long time reader of the book.
Bring back Becky Blake!
humanaccident
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great issue, enjoyed the art, the characters and the overall story telling, good job team!
After the preview i worried that this was going to be a Blindspot book but no, issue 1 put Matt clearly in the middle.
Great sense of mysteries to be unravelled as we go forward, which side is Blindspot on and what did Matt do to reset his secret? Lets hope he sacrificed Kirsten Smile
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an excellent opening issue from this new creative team.

Soule's take on Matt's new job is interesting, based on Matt's speech to Billy Li. The aspect of defense attorney, looking after the little guy, certainly seems to have gone by the wayside now and it'll be interesting to see what brought that change about during the intervening months (and whether or not this change has anything to do with how he resolved his secret identity issue).

Which I'm glad Soule didn't shy away from, with that scene at Foggy's apartment. Seeing Foggy with such resentment over still knowing his identity is unsettling (and is also telling in that we yet to know what job Foggy is holding, if any, at the moment). In a way, this resolution has an air of a Mephisto/Brand New Day fix, but I'm eager to learn how Matt did it.

The art, the color and tones, definitely a distinctive look that I like. I love the new costume even more now after seeing it in action. I like the little touches that Garney showed, for example, how the majority of the thugs DD fought on the bridge had fingers missing.

While I missed his intro issue, I like Blindspot here. Soule sets them up as having something of a long-standing partnership as they seem comfortable with each other. It was a nice twist reveal by Soule at the end with Sam and Tenfingers, who appears to be a strong new opponent for Matt and DD.

My only, only quibble is a minor slip-up in narration. In the scene where DD first jumps upon the thugs on the bridge, he doesn't understand how they can look like street thugs yet fight like Iron Fist. How does he know what they look like?

Otherwise, 4 out of 5. A terrific start.
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it twice, last night when I was half asleep and again just now for clarity. I wish I could say I was as enthusiastic as the rest of you, but thus far, it's kind of mixed. I gave it a three in the poll.

The first thing is that it feels like we're missing something. Which, of course, we are. I'm reading under the assumption that all the missing details will be filled in as the story progresses. That's fine and all. But to leave out this many details right at the start (How did Matt get his secret back? What is the extent of this cosmic retcon? Who is Blindspot, anyway? Who and how did they get entangled with Tenfingers, and how long has this been going on for?) starts to take it from the realm of exciting into the realm of confusing.

Then we have the fact that frankly, Matt is kind of acting like a dick. He comes off as too cold and direct during the scenes with Foggy and Billy Li. Speaking of Foggy, he's just as bad. Foggy has always been portrayed as Matt's rock, his moral support, and has been happy to stand by his side even in the stickiest of situations. Now we get a complete 180 with no explanation. I hope it gets cleared up in the future.

The thing that bothered me the most, though, was the colors. Everybody else seems to be praising them but I hated it. I was so relieved after the first scene when I turned the page and saw blue. Wish is could have lasted. The only scene where the pink made sense was the last one. The rest of time, it looked like crap. Not everything has to be bright and colorful - there have been plenty of times when Daredevil saw monochrome or unique color combos that worked really well - but dying everything pink made it into an eyesore. I really hope this doesn't keep up.

On the plus side, Tenfingers really has me intrigued. The final scene was the highlight of the book for me. A traditional gang punishment is being forced to cut your fingers off. So reversing that, having the members willingly chop off digits as some kind of tribute, has me hooked already.

I might have come off kind of hard on it here. I don't think it was a bad issue and I'm looking forward to more. I'm not going to pretend that all is well, either.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally didn't expect something super great.All I wanted to do was to be able to read Daredevil again and enjoy it,to which,I did.I blame a lot of the changes Soule had to make on Waid.It was almost impossible to have DD function as we're accustom to seeing him function without some kind of retcon.Soule was left with a very big mess to clean up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: