Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Does Daredevil kill?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny_Anonymous
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
Daredevil24 wrote:
...had he been in Batman's position I think he would have killed the Joker a long time ago.

I absolutely disagree. Daredevil stands, above all, for justice. He believes in due process. He would not play judge, jury and executioner. That's not to say he's naive enough to think that the Joker or Bullseye can be rehabilitated, but he's moral enough to not take the law into his own hands. That's why he's so opposed to the Punisher. He believes in the legal system and how the role it plays in preventing anarchy.

I completely disagree with you in fact. It's true Daredevil does believe in the law but him killing is not a contradiction to that. The law states that homicide is justifiable if the person in question believes that the well being or life of himself or the people around him is under threat. This has been the case every single time Daredevil has took a life. The reason it's different for the Punisher is beacuse he doesn't believe in anything other than his own abilities to stop any and all future threats. He hunts down people in their beds or walking home at night, It's not Justifiable Homicide it's execution.

As for Batman his sense of law and morality is just totally messed up in his own head. The idea that "Batman doesn't kill" isn't even lawfully true as every time loss of life occurs beacuse he refuses to kill the Joker is Culpable Homicide.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intent is the key. Daredevil rarely believes his life is under threat because he's just that good. He thinks he can win with less force. But, in the cases he has no other choice, I agree that it's fine for him to kill. However, he doesn't act as the law. He's not an executioner.

For example, I didn't think Daredevil killing Nobu in the Netflix show was out of character. However, if he had gone through with killing the Kingpin, that would have been a step too far.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
Does Daredevil kill? Only in extreme cases.

Should Daredevil kill. Yes, if there is no other choice.

Has Daredevil killed? A few times, most of which were absolutely justified. Bullseye being the exception, because he was beaten and not a threat. There have been a few times where Matt would've been justified in killing Bullseye but didn't because the writer didn't want him to or couldn't.

Would Murdock kill the Joker? If Joker had just killed a bunch of people but was beaten? No. If Joker was about to kill an innocent and Daredevil could only prevent it by killing Joker? I would hope the answer would be yes.

I'll repeat myself from the Born Again discussion. There is an enormous gulf, bigger than the Grand Canyon, between being a saint who won't kill anyone ever and being the Punisher who kills wantonly and eagerly. We should realize sometimes bad guys need to be put down and the only real reason heroes don't kill is because of the nature of serialized storytelling that has no definite end. Matt's not going to kill Bullseye and Batman's not going to kill Joker because future stories need to have Bullseye and Joker in them, not because of some morality bs.

Mike Murdock wrote:
Intent is the key. Daredevil rarely believes his life is under threat because he's just that good. He thinks he can win with less force. But, in the cases he has no other choice, I agree that it's fine for him to kill. However, he doesn't act as the law. He's not an executioner.

For example, I didn't think Daredevil killing Nobu in the Netflix show was out of character. However, if he had gone through with killing the Kingpin, that would have been a step too far.

I agree with these posts. I believe that Matt will kill if he absolutely has to and has no other option, especially when innocent lives hang in the balance. The Bullseye killing in the Shadowland arc was different, Bullseye was defeated and was no longer a threat.

That being said, regardless of what was said in a later issue, Matt definitely wasn't himself at that point in time, otherwise he never would have let the whole Shadowland thing come to fruition in the first place. I tend to ignore that story anyhow, seeing as it is poorly written. I acknowledge that it happened since elements of it come into play in later Daredevil arcs as well as the last Elektra series, but that doesn't mean I have to remember the events exactly as they happened Wink.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm okay with DD killing the guy in the helicopter to stop him, because the guy was firing on the civilians and via inner monologue we are told that already too many bystanders had been killed by stray bullets.

If innocents are in dangers, DD will kill you. He won't like that, he'll feel guilty about that afterwards, but he will do it without getting too dramatic about moral codes and crossed lines and arguments about juries and executioners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: