Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

TPB or comics?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeschere
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: TPB or comics? Reply with quote

Hello,

The comic section of this website seems to suggest getting started with the trade paperbacks and don't really suggest any single comics. Why is that? Are comics only for "collectors" and are you better off getting the tpb's or is there another reason?

I am planning on making my first trip in about 20 years to the comic book store tomorrow and I am wondering what I should be getting myself. Some TPB's or some single comics and which ones?

For the TPB's I am guessing the suggestions for completely new readers in the comic section of this website but I have no idea for the single comics. Bear in mind that my only knowledge of Daredevil is the tv series and the Ben Affleck movie (not sure if that is such a good reference).

Thanks in advance.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love individual comics and they're a necessity for much of Daredevil, but if you're getting started, TPBs are better because they give you more than one issue. You rarely can get the feel after one issue.

As for what to recommend. I always recommend Frank Miller's original work. Born Again is great but should have an introduction first. Man Without Fear is very good and can also work, but isn't really traditional Daredevil. Everything afterward builds from that run. It can stand on its own if you don't want to go back that far, but you'll never go wrong going back to Miller.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer trades, myself. For one, and I hope this doesn't sound too blasphemous, but I prefer modern print over the old newspaper stuff. There's also the fact that it's easier to sort and fit on a shelf, easier to track down and collect, and you can sit down with them and have a complete story in one place rather than having to deal with little pieces of it. That said, I don't have anything against regular comics and happily buy them when necessary. It's just that, given the choice, I would take a trade.

As far as where to start, there are plenty of great stories in DD's canon, but like Mike said, the quintessential one is the first half of Frank Miller's first run. That would be Volume 1, issues 168 - 182. That's pretty much the definitive story. It introduces or codifies all the major elements of the character from that point forward, and tells a damn fine story in the process.

If you like that, then from there I would collect the rest of Frank Miller's work. Some people might suggest Born Again first, but I disagree. Born Again is a great story but it's great because it's so subversive. If you have no foundation for the character then there isn't much of a point in subverting it.

This is where you want to start:

http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Visionaries-Frank-Miller-Vol/dp/0785107711/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454552363&sr=8-1&keywords=daredevil+visionaries+miller+2
Aeschere
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers. Will take a look and see what they have for sale today. Luckily there are several stores close to each other so I might have a chance of getting my hands on a few of them.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what we're talking about.

Aeschere
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I just got back from the comic store with....nothing. The first store didn't have any Daredevil TPB's and the second store only had some of the Mark Waid series.

Since I am not that often in town I think I will turn to Amazon to give me my fix Smile
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go for trades just because it is better value for money and more convenient. Further down the road you might need single issues to fill in some missing gaps but if you get to that point you'll know what you're doing by then.

You can usually find things cheaper than amazon depending where you are. I'm in the UK so for me it's wordery.com or speedyhen.com.

The good deals thread in the collected editions section on the comicbookresources.com forum will help you find the best prices.
Aeschere
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some searching and even though I could find some cheaper base pricing the shipping costs bumped the price right up to the local store so in the end I just placed an order with them for the Volume 1 of Frank Miller & Klaus Jansen TPB. Might as well support the local store instead of a faceless internet shop.

That should be a good starting point to see if the series is what I am expecting of it. In the mean time I will pass the time with re-reading old x-men comics and re-watching the Daredevil series Smile
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that trade starts with Miller only drawing, he takes over writing a few issues in and while it starts good it gets a lot better once he takes over the whole thing.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 168 - Elektra - is the first issue he wrote. That being said, it's a nice baseline to compare the two. Some of those issues are quite good (and Miller builds upon them), so I'd still give them a read.

Aeschere
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sure took a while but I just picked up Man Without Fear and Vol. 1 of the Miller & Klaus collection (also a copy of Powerman & Iron Fist but that's besides the point).
The art looks really good and I can't wait to get started in it. Hopefully I will have some time later today to get my feet wet.
Aeschere
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time has been limit but I finally finished man without fear, volume 1 and just started volume 2. Loving it so far.

Man without fear has been a while and to be honest I already need to re-read it since I can't remember what it is about :S

The first issues of volume 1 (guest appearances) where a bit tedious but the stand alone issues where a lot better.
I didn't pay much attention to who wrote what but suddenly the issues seemed to grab me a bit more. Looking back, that was when Miller started writing. I really liked the introduction of the Kingpin. I especially like how he is portrayed as a troubled man struggling with his violent past.
All in all, a great intro into the world.

Just started with volume 2 (just finished the first issue where Melvin is falsely accused) and it seems like they cut the timeline somewhere. It isn't a continuation. For some reason Foggy is acting up without any explanation but I assume that will become clear in the following issues.

Although the artwork is great overall some panels just stand out (while others are a bit clumsy). Is there a place where the stand alone art is presented (looking for desktop wallpapers and/or for something on the wall)?

And on a side note: Powerman & Ironfist is a great read. Light and funny but with decent artwork although the story might go over the top a bit to fast.
Aeschere
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time of another update. I finally finished volume 3 and I am now looking to continue reading. I guess I will order Born Again at the shop.

The stories so far have been great. Some of them I could have done without, others were simply brilliant. Can't wait to see what the other writers have done with the character.

One more question: I keep reading about Miller's Visionaries vol 1 & 2. Is that a different series or is that just another title for the same volumes that I have just read?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different printing of the same issues, if I'm not mistaken.

Aeschere
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will find out sooner or later Smile

Born Again isn't available at the moment so I ordered Yellow instead (and had Born Again placed in back order). Perhaps I should get my hands on some new run singles to have something to read while waiting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: