Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Most sympathetic and least sympathetic Daredevil villains

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Most sympathetic and least sympathetic Daredevil villains Reply with quote

Who would you say are the most sympathetic Daredevil villains? Who would you say are least sympathetic DD villains?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most sympathetic is Gladiator. Least sympathetic? I don't know. Maybe Bullseye.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most sympathetic is poor Melvin, no question. I love the Gladiator story but every time he has shown up since Miller I just want to grab the writer by the shirt collar and yell "Give the guy a break!" I hate that he is now crazy in an asylum. If ever there were a villain that deserved a happy ending, it was him. Sadly if he ever got a happy ending, it would only be a matter of time before the next writer decides to drag him back into villainy. He gets it worse than Matt himself.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Most sympathetic is Gladiator. Least sympathetic? I don't know. Maybe Bullseye.

Bullseye is pretty up there, but there are all sorts of irredeemable psychopaths with no redeeming qualities you can associate with Daredevil's rogues gallery: Mr. Fear, Coyote, Purple Man ( if he still counts as a DD villain) , Bullseye is the most prominent though.

I agree with Gladiator, but I also think Typhoid Mary is a good second, she is an abused psychotic woman and I don't think I can hold her to same moral standard as other DD villains.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if I'm right, but was Bullseye's mother a prostitute?

Anyway, yes it has to be Gladiator. Otherwise most of them have moments here and there. Hell, even Fisk was when Vanessa was thought to be dead and then again in Love and War.

The ones I have no sympathy for are Bullseye, Mr Fear, and Micah Synn.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gladiator and Typhoid are certainly good suggestions. I would add Bullet from Nocenti's run. If I remember correctly, he was a single father who was having a hard time taking care of his son. That doesn't justify his actions, but it makes him easy enough to empathize with.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ All good choices. Especially Bullet.

Ash-n-Bone wrote:
I can't remember if I'm right, but was Bullseye's mother a prostitute?

Yeah, he was.

Quote:
The ones I have no sympathy for are Bullseye, Mr Fear, and Micah Synn.

Others mentioned Mr. Fear. I have to agree completely - assuming it's Lawrence Cranston. Guy's a complete sociopath.

Micah Synn I'm a bit more sympathetic to (he's not the most sympathetic, though). He's very much a product of his upbringing. He's selfish and arrogant and violent, but he came from a society where that was necessary.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Yeah, that's true I guess. Good point.

Oh and one of the least sympathetic has to be Bushwacker. He may have been a priest and all but his actions during the Fall of the Mutants arc were extremely brutal.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, no sympathy for Stilt Man? For continuing to run with the same weak schtick for all these years? Wink
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:
What, no sympathy for Stilt Man? For continuing to run with the same weak schtick for all these years? Wink

He gets nothing but admiration from me for staying true to himself Very Happy
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:

Stilt-Man just needs a slap to the head, so he stops doing stupid things with his life. Smile

Ash-n-Bone wrote:
^ Yeah, that's true I guess. Good point.

Oh and one of the least sympathetic has to be Bushwacker. He may have been a priest and all but his actions during the Fall of the Mutants arc were extremely brutal.

Well the writers write Bushwacker in two different ways:

Either he is Bullseye clone who happens to have a different gimmick or he is religious nut who has a moral code that only makes sense to him.

Yes Bushwacker has murdered mutants and I am not going to sugar coat or excuse those actions. But there was an interesting story, where Urich was going to write story on a drug lord, the drug lord hired Bushwacker to kill Urich, Bushwacker secretly had a grudge against the drug lord because he sold drugs to Bushwacker's old congregation. So Bushwacker lets Urich write the story, to see if he can use the system to take down the drug lord. The drug lord bribes his way out of prison, Bushwacker kills him, thus proving in his mind that the system doesn't work.

I like the more wild card Bushwacker, then the pure evil and nothing else version of the character.

Also on a general note, I don't think Bullseye's childhood does anything to make him sympathetic. DD has no empathy for Bullseye after finding out what his childhood was like. Really Red Skull had a bad childhood growing up in post WWI Germany and I have no sympathy for him, he has done too much evil and shown no remorse or even a hint of a sympathetic trait for me to care about his childhood. Ditto with Bullseye.

LightningandIce wrote:
Most sympathetic is poor Melvin, no question. I love the Gladiator story but every time he has shown up since Miller I just want to grab the writer by the shirt collar and yell "Give the guy a break!" I hate that he is now crazy in an asylum. If ever there were a villain that deserved a happy ending, it was him. Sadly if he ever got a happy ending, it would only be a matter of time before the next writer decides to drag him back into villainy. He gets it worse than Matt himself.

To be fair, if any of DD's enemies could figure that DD cared about Melvin and wanted him to succeed in his post criminal life, they would have a motive for ruining him. I think that might be part of the reason why Mr. Fear sought to drive Melvin mad in the first place, just to hurt Matt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: