Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club: Daredevil/Deadpool Annual 1997

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: DD Book Club: Daredevil/Deadpool Annual 1997 Reply with quote

There's a couple of reasons I picked this one. One is the Deadpool movie just came out, which everyone should go see because it's awesome. Second, this is a Joe Kelly story and they're a bit hard to come by. This is the era of Daredevil with Rosalind Sharpe where things are a bit lighter again (although Kelly took things darker than Karl Kesel and, by the end of his run, found a good balance, imo).

The story is not on Marvel Unlimited, but is on comixology and is available in the Widow's Kiss Epic Collection TPB.

Daredevil/Deadpool Annual Vol. 1 1997 - Whomsoever Fights Monsters

Quote:
IT'S DAREDEVIL, IT'S DEADPOOL, IT'S TWO ANNUALS IN ONE! THAT'S RIGHT, FRANTIC ONE, THIS 46-PAGE SPECIAL POURS STORY ELEMENTS FROM BOTH ONGOING SERIES INTO A BLENDER AND HITS PUREE! TYPHOID MARY, THAT SCHIZOID SWEETIE FROM DAREDEVIL'S PAST, RETURNS TO HER OLD STOMPING GROUNDS TO EXACT REVENGE ON EVERYONE WHO'S EVER SCREWED HER OVER INCLUDING DD! NOW DEADPOOL'S ON HER TAIL, BUT WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON? AND YOU MUST NOT MISS THE SUBPLOT FEATURING THE MOST POPULAR SUPPORTING CAST MEMBER OF THEM ALL, DEUCE THE DEVIL DOG!

Quote is from Marvel wikia, I assume it was the original solicit.

The story is a bit longer than the average story, so I hope everyone will have time to read it.

Due 2/20

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is was my first exposure to the character who is all the rage at the box office this weekend. Since then, I have only read Daniel Way's Deadpool #1, and my cousin insisted I read Deadpool: Noir. That latter story was okay, but I can't say the character does much for me.

This story is kind of infamous among Daredevil fans. One thing it has going for it is it kind of takes Matt to task for his douchey behaviour towards Typhoid Mary in #297. He's had this coming.

Joe Kelly is better known these days for his Deadpool work than that he did for Daredevil. He kind of defined the character. He worked to maintain Karl Kessel's light-hearted tone on Daredevil. Sometimes it worked, and other times it didn't. This isn't Kelly's best Daredevil work.

Deadpool, for the most part, hogs the spotlight. It seems Matt has already had dealings with Deadpool, but I'm not sure when that would have happened.

I enjoyed the scenes between Foggy and Weasel. Those were funny.

The premise is a good one. Typhoid manipulates an assassin to exact revenge on Daredevil. But to me, the assassin is a problem.

I may seem like a party-pooper, seeing how he's having the biggest moment of his career, but I find Deadpool very annoying. He won't shut up, and there isn't very much he takes seriously. I guess that's why he would appeal to younger readers, he are okay as long as the comic is fun, but I was on board with Matt who just wanted him to shut the hell up. With Deadpool's incessant babbling, I don't know how Matt was able to get any investigating done. He has redeemable moments when he feels like Typhoid is double-crossing him, but other than that, he's not for me. (I'm still planning on going to see the movie though.)

It doesn't make any sense why Matt would put his trust in an assassin for hire. Matt's not that naive. When he's in the middle of that fight, and Deadpool says he's going to kill him, he's genuinely shocked. I don't buy that. Matt should have his eyes more wide open than he does in this story.

Of course, the biggest problem was shoehorning Miller's Man Without Fear into Typhoid's origin. I don't know if that was Kelly's idea, or Matt Idelson's or Bob Harras's, but in any event, it doesn't work. First of all, it doesn't make any sense. How would falling out of a window have unlocked her disassociative personality disorder and her psychic powers? Secondly, it's sloppy. Obviously Miller's story was a big hit, and Daredevil's title wasn't selling very well by this point, so it feels like a desperate bid for attention. But there was never anything to suggest that the woman who fell from the window was Mary Walker. Nobody, before this annual came out, would have ever dreamt that woman was Mary.

Maybe the reason they did this was that for the few years after Man Without Fear, people viewed Matt as having blood on his hands, and Marvel wanted to wash that blood away. The way this issue ends, that seems to be the point were supposed to take from it. As Deadpool tells him, "For the first time in your life, you know for sure that you're not a killer." On the next page, Daredevil his happily scampering across the rooftops. That seems to be the point of the story. (I guess Marvel forgot about the helicopter pilot in "Born Again," but maybe they're focusing on innocent life.)

Anyway, I find this to be a rather annoying comic, with Deadpool's unending chatter and the hamfisted inclusion of the scene from Man Without Fear. I give this a 2.5 out of 5.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be the first issue I've reviewed here without having read it first since Parts of a Hole. I'm curious to see whether I'll like it. I do like Joe Kelly's run of Daredevil. Full disclosure on Deadpool, 75% of my knowledge comes from the movie I just watched. But this had Blind Al and TJ Miller - I mean Weasel, so I guess it works.

This story is a follow up to Last Rites. It acknowledged that what Matt did in that story was pretty crappy. But Typhoid Mary is on the loose and needs to be stopped. It's a team up of the deadly seriousness of Daredevil and the madcap of Deadpool. It's a superhero vs. antihero, but it creates a very different tone from Daredevil vs. Punisher. The Deadpool/Typhoid "romance" opens up some cool moments for Daredevil to comment on Typhoid's personality. There's a sadness about it since he obviously felt she was someone he cared for at one time. I thought the craziness of Typhoid comes across well without being over the top. Matt wants to help Mary, but his actions were invasive, to say the least. I think Kelly does a good job of hinting at the rapey aspects of what happened without saying it. It's clear that Mary had a life of abuse long before Daredevil, but that doesn't make what Daredevil did any better.

This brings us up to the retcon of Typhoid Mary's origin and the girl in TMWOF. It's probably the only thing I knew about this story prior to reading it and it's something I hated. That being said, it reads great in context. It fits thematically with the theme of this chapter of the issue. Daredevil's response is quite good and handles everything well. I have to say, I may have to withdraw my burning hatred. I think it may have been good in its execution.

In the end, it's a sentimental issue that gives hope of redemption. While Mary isn't redeemed, the parallels with her and Deadpool suggest there is hope after all. It even has a fitting ending for Deuce the Devil Dog. I have to say, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'll give it Four Stars. I thought the first half was too focused on Deadpool, but the second half was much better when it explored the history between Daredevil and Typhoid Mary.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
So this is was my first exposure to the character who is all the rage at the box office this weekend. Since then, I have only read Daniel Way's Deadpool #1, and my cousin insisted I read Deadpool: Noir. That latter story was okay, but I can't say the character does much for me.

This story is kind of infamous among Daredevil fans. One thing it has going for it is it kind of takes Matt to task for his douchey behaviour towards Typhoid Mary in #297. He's had this coming.

Joe Kelly is better known these days for his Deadpool work than that he did for Daredevil. He kind of defined the character. He worked to maintain Karl Kessel's light-hearted tone on Daredevil. Sometimes it worked, and other times it didn't. This isn't Kelly's best Daredevil work.

Deadpool, for the most part, hogs the spotlight. It seems Matt has already had dealings with Deadpool, but I'm not sure when that would have happened.

I enjoyed the scenes between Foggy and Weasel. Those were funny.

The premise is a good one. Typhoid manipulates an assassin to exact revenge on Daredevil. But to me, the assassin is a problem.

I may seem like a party-pooper, seeing how he's having the biggest moment of his career, but I find Deadpool very annoying. He won't shut up, and there isn't very much he takes seriously. I guess that's why he would appeal to younger readers, he are okay as long as the comic is fun, but I was on board with Matt who just wanted him to shut the hell up. With Deadpool's incessant babbling, I don't know how Matt was able to get any investigating done. He has redeemable moments when he feels like Typhoid is double-crossing him, but other than that, he's not for me. (I'm still planning on going to see the movie though.)

It doesn't make any sense why Matt would put his trust in an assassin for hire. Matt's not that naive. When he's in the middle of that fight, and Deadpool says he's going to kill him, he's genuinely shocked. I don't buy that. Matt should have his eyes more wide open than he does in this story.

Of course, the biggest problem was shoehorning Miller's Man Without Fear into Typhoid's origin. I don't know if that was Kelly's idea, or Matt Idelson's or Bob Harras's, but in any event, it doesn't work. First of all, it doesn't make any sense. How would falling out of a window have unlocked her disassociative personality disorder and her psychic powers? Secondly, it's sloppy. Obviously Miller's story was a big hit, and Daredevil's title wasn't selling very well by this point, so it feels like a desperate bid for attention. But there was never anything to suggest that the woman who fell from the window was Mary Walker. Nobody, before this annual came out, would have ever dreamt that woman was Mary.

Maybe the reason they did this was that for the few years after Man Without Fear, people viewed Matt as having blood on his hands, and Marvel wanted to wash that blood away. The way this issue ends, that seems to be the point were supposed to take from it. As Deadpool tells him, "For the first time in your life, you know for sure that you're not a killer." On the next page, Daredevil his happily scampering across the rooftops. That seems to be the point of the story. (I guess Marvel forgot about the helicopter pilot in "Born Again," but maybe they're focusing on innocent life.)

Anyway, I find this to be a rather annoying comic, with Deadpool's unending chatter and the hamfisted inclusion of the scene from Man Without Fear. I give this a 2.5 out of 5.

To be fair, I think Deadpool is a character people either loves or hates and that can depend on how funny you find him, I think the movie made him more funny then this comic did.

The weasel Foggy interaction was funny.

The big thing I wonder about this comic is, which origin for DD is supposed to be canon at this point, because this story seem to reinforce the Man Without Fear Origin, while Daredevil Yellow and Season 1 reinforce the Silver Age origin. It seems hard to square this circle.

I also find Matt's moral judgments of Typhoid pretty hollow, Typhoid is one of the few Marvel super villains I would classify as criminally insane and I still think Matt's actions to her in Last Rites are both immoral and unjustifiable. Those actions led to Typhoid getting abused and becoming more insane, not less, so Matt is responsible for her worsened state.

I actually understand this retcon, it absolves Matt of murder and deepens the ties between him and one of his most iconic enemies. But it was a bit sloppy and I don't thin it has ever really been brought up again.

I will give issue 3 stars. Sorry for the late review, I have been busy this week.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have been hectic of late at work this week so that's why this review is coming in under the wire, as it were.

First off, I don't like Deadpool. Many moons ago, I bought New Mutants #98 by Liefeld, his first appearance and that's really been the extent of my association with the character. Yes, he may be used for comedy, for parody, for pastiche, for whatever, but I think he's become overused (he must be the King of Variant Covers) and overhyped, especially with his new movie out now.

So my first problem here is reading the sheer amount of his dialogue, which for some reason is colored yellow (although now I 'hear' Reynolds' voice for him). Some of the jokes were okay (the LA Law jokes about Foggy were funny) but it's an effort to read through it for something he may say with meaning, such as his last speech to Matt about absolution, which was pretty good. The whole comparison between himself and Mary, being monsters who thrive in the darkness but may yet attain the light, it was a good metaphor, a good pairing and as such, was the highlight for me about Deadpool here.

I'm totally unfamiliar with his sidekicks associates but Weasel was fun, especially after he meets Foggy. That was fun.

As for Matthew, as a coda to Last Rites, this was interesting. The guilt he stills feels over what he did to her, how she is still able to affect him, learning that she's escaped and perhaps worse off than when she began, it made for some interesting drama. Typhoid's arguments against his treatment of her were equally so. Chapter 2 of this book was the real highlight of this issue. But in the end, Matt gets absolution, saved that he isn't a killer (at least here) and that there may be some sliver of hope for Mary after all. So, if anyone comes out a winner, it's Matt for once.

As for the retcon to her origin...I don't know. As Mike mentioned, in the context of this issue, it seemingly works. Typhoid's rage and mistrust is justified here, Matt's refusal to accept any further responsibility for her actions and behaviour is justified too. But to connect it to MWOF seems a stretch to me, mainly because there's been no hints nor clues prior to this about this connection with her. Sure, it creates a deeper bond between Matt and Mary but almost with a *wink wink* to it.

Plus, how did she actually survive the fall?

Chang's art is serviceable, sometimes Deadpool looks too pumped up and there's far too few images of DD in action here. My favorite shot occurs after the Chapter 1 page, with DD falling (with grace) with the cityscape and Typhoid's face in the background.

If this was more a straightforward DD annual, I would rate this higher. The inclusion of Deadpool brought it down a notch but the drama between Matt and Typhoid (forced or not) made it more palatable. I'd rate this with 3-and-half stars.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not technically on topic, but I wanted to post this, it's an interview between Duggan, Soule, and Walker about an upcoming Deadpool story that's four stories in one, crossing over with Heroes for Hire and Daredevil. Given the Deadpool/Daredevil connection (plus, apparently, Typhoid Mary) it's sort of a spiritual successor to this story.

Anyway, I figured I'd post the link for those who are interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: