Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil Epic Collections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Daredevil Epic Collections Reply with quote

I'm itching for some Daredevil that I haven't read and have plenty of other Epic's. I'm torn between which one's are worth having so thought I'd ask here. For reference, Bendis' run is in my top 3 of all comic runs and I re-read all the Miller stuff regularly. (Pretty obvious for a DD fan I suppose.)

A Touch Of Typhoid seems like the obvious choice because I love JRJR's art. Are these particular stories actually good? There's a lot of conflicting reviews out there.

I almost ordered Widow's Kiss because I was told it had Gene Colan art but stopped when I found out he only does two issues in this collection.

Fall From Grace is the hardest one to judge because people say it's the biggest load of crap they've ever laid eyes on or seem to absolutely love it. McDaniel's art isn't a problem, I enjoy his work on Batman and especially Green Arrow.

What are peoples thought's on whether any of these are worth getting and which contains the best stuff?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fall from Grace is the biggest load of crap I've ever laid eyes on, but you should absolutely get it. It's symbolic of an entire era of Daredevil and is the introduction to a new suit that lasted for quite some time. The epic collection also has Tree of Knowledge, which I think is better because it is at least a coherent story (although it's not a great story). The art is certainly not the problem, I'll give you that.

Here's the problem with Touch of Typhoid (and trying to collect Nocenti's run in general). Her story arcs overlapped. If you want to start with Typhoid Mary, you're starting in the middle of a story where Matt is going against Foggy in a lawsuit against a chemical company and you're ending in the middle of the Inferno crossover event. This one is a bit better because it starts earlier. Unfortunately, it now ends in the middle of the next arc. If you have Lone Stranger, that's not too bad, except now you'll double dip on a few issues. Even Lone Stranger ends before that story arc ends. But if you're just asking about the quality of the stories - yes, the stories are good. You have to get used to Nocenti's writing style, but it's still a lot of fun.

With Widow's Kiss, I like Joe Kelly's run. It's a run that built off Karl Kesel's run, though, which is absent. The previous issue ended with a big reveal of who the bad guy is. This starts after that mystery has ended. That being said, it has one of the best Mr. Fear stories ever (imo, it rivals Brubaker's arc). I probably would have preferred they drop Daredevil/Deadpool Annual for Kesel's stories, but I like it overall. It's probably third in priority if you're looking to save money, though.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers man. I'm just going to go for the Nocenti one for now. At the very least I love JRJR so at least I'm guaranteed to like something about it.

I used to hate Romita Jr and at some point I started loving it and have no reason why I changed my mind. Only time I've ever completely changed my mind about an artist.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more good news, Marvel's June solicits have listed the next DD Epic collection, which collects the first 21 issues of the title.
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:
Some more good news, Marvel's June solicits have listed the next DD Epic collection, which collects the first 21 issues of the title.

yay, Epic Collections! Those are my new hotness!
russell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar tastes to you. I consider the Bendis run to be in my top three comic runs of all time.
I have all three epics but have only read Fall from Grace and Typhoids Kiss. I thought I'd save the other for later as it is the end of DD vol 1.

I found Fall from Grace a chore TBH, but Typhoids Kiss was very good. It kind of starts mid way through the writers run but you can catch up quick. The Inferno stuff was boring, but before and after that was vey good. Id start with that trade, it'll be the easiest to find too
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to add Fall from Grace to the Book Club list so I can rip it to shreds one day. It means so well, but I really think that just makes it worse.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: