Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Daredevil S2E07 Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Daredevil S2E07 Discussion Reply with quote

Please use this thread to discuss this episode and any relevant plot points that occurred prior to this one.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the jury voir dire. On the one hand, it sets out all the sides of the debate (without sugar coating it either). On the other hand, it shows how hard it is to get a juror who hasn't made up his mind already. If they can't get a jury that can't be excused for cause, it would be a mistrial (and it shows that, yes, New York City may have made up its mind, but that's why they need to move for a change of venue and go somewhere else). Also,Frank Castle shouldn't go in front of the jury wearing orange and handcuffs. Maybe he wanted it to be that way because it shows how much the state is trying to punish him for "helping the city", but a defendant has a right to wear court-appropriate clothing in front of a jury and it's clearly reversible error otherwise. The music in that scene is badass, though.

New York has a defense called "Extreme Emotional Disturbance." It's an affirmative defense, but it's broader than you were provoked into acting. If you can show this, you can turn murder into voluntary manslaughter. With all the stuff about PTSD, etc., it seems that's their best bet. I don't know if Frank would agree. I like the debate between Matt and Karen. Matt strongly believes that Frank deserves a fair trial (which he isn't getting), but he doesn't think Frank is right in what he did. Karen doesn't seem to agree. I like that the debate between the two positions continue. Daredevil isn't any more right than he was in episode three in this.

Much of my thought of this episode is "damn it Matt." Elektra comes off as fairly unlikeable because she's causing Matt to make stupid decisions. The trial is more important than everything else, but Elektra is ruining that. I hope he manages to come around because things are falling apart (and they didn't even get the mistrial for more time).

Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Sciurid
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does NY not have money to replace flags, or do they just not acknowledge Alaska and Hawaii? The flag in the courtroom has 48 stars.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciurid wrote:
Does NY not have money to replace flags, or do they just not acknowledge Alaska and Hawaii? The flag in the courtroom has 48 stars.

On your second viewing? Laughing
Sciurid
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayle88 wrote:
Sciurid wrote:

On your second viewing? Laughing

Yes, though I caught it on the first time around. I had time to mainline it, but the husband didn't, so we're watching it bit by bit together.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see that the tv show is keeping with the proud tradition of completely ignoring how the law works.

When Matt gets up to cross examine the medical examiner the D.A. immediately objects to say that Matt is "leading the witness". Of course you're allowed to lead a witness during cross. In fact, some would say that that's the entire point of cross examination and that you should never, ever ask an open, non-leading question during cross.

Still enjoying the season but basically every time it turns to the law plot my head blows up.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that made me wince too. I was OK with it since the Judge overruled the objection so I decided it was just Reyes being an idiot.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen continues to be a stronger character than I have ever seen her be before in any medium. Her scenes with Frank prove her worth like never before.

Foggy's opening statement was impressive, but he has been fantastic this entire season so far.

It's hard to sympathize with Matt. The Castle case is obviously hugely important to the firm, but he is allowing Elektra to be a distraction. He's in a position to refuse her. He didn't have to be late for court for the opening statement. It's called an alarm clock. Obviously he's torn between his role as a vigilante and an attorney. It seems, right now, that the vigilante is winning out.

I liked the legal conflict between Matt and Karen in this episode. It goes to show who Matt is, and how strongly he clings to his principles. Odd then that Elektra has so much sway over him. There is obvious sexual tension remaining between them, but there is also no trust. Matt seems to be a rational man, and a strong man. He should be able to walk away. It's puzzling that he doesn't.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
It's hard to sympathize with Matt. The Castle case is obviously hugely important to the firm, but he is allowing Elektra to be a distraction. He's in a position to refuse her. He didn't have to be late for court for the opening statement. It's called an alarm clock. Obviously he's torn between his role as a vigilante and an attorney. It seems, right now, that the vigilante is winning out.

I liked the legal conflict between Matt and Karen in this episode. It goes to show who Matt is, and how strongly he clings to his principles. Odd then that Elektra has so much sway over him. There is obvious sexual tension remaining between them, but there is also no trust. Matt seems to be a rational man, and a strong man. He should be able to walk away. It's puzzling that he doesn't.

I don't know, I think it's always been part of Matt's character that he sometimes lets his heart overwhelm his head, and he's often very close to abandoning reason and doing what his impulses tell him to, especially where Elektra is involved. That's part of the appeal of the character, for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: