Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Daredevil S2E04 Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Daredevil S2E04 Discussion Reply with quote

Please use this thread to discuss this episode and any relevant plot points that occurred prior to this one.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God damn Jon Bernthal did a hell of a job. The scene at the graveyard was great. Really well-acted. Overall, they did a great job of establishing his character, teasing his backstory, and finally explaining it. I was choked up throughout. The way it ended was great too. It established something more with Daredevil having faith in the system (and wanting the police to get the arrest to restore the public's faith) unlike the Punisher who has no faith in the system and just wants to take them down. As an aside, I thought the Irish an odd choice to focus on as a mob family, but it's been awhile since a good old-fashioned tooling, so it worked out very well. The show is very much a crime show and it's good to throw Boondock Saints into the mix.

Once again with the density of each episode, I looked at my notes and saw the first thing I commented on was the sermon. I completely forgot it was in this episode. I love the priest's sermon and the conversation after. It tied everything together. It reenforces why Daredevil is different than the Punisher - how he sees that each person is a world and it's not right to end that. On the other hand, it's contrasted with the Irish mobsters who were going to kill a dog, so you see both sides.

I have to comment on the Matt and Karen scene. It was very hot. They definitely did a great job of building that and the chemistry there was palpable. Of course, they follow it up with Elektra appearing. Damn it. It's the perfect ending point, but how can I stop with that?

Five Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the Irish was definitely a reference to Ennis' Punisher MAX series.

What better Daredevil-ism is there than Matt having a beautiful moment with someone we know he will probably fall in love with after having done a great job with Frank only to have Elektra show up and have everything fall apart?

I'm going to have to watch all this stuff again straight away. It's blowing me away to the point an episode starts, I'm sat in amazement and then the credits roll.

I feel like this season can flourish in the way it has so far because season one was so complete and thorough with the characters.
Sciurid
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I love Fr. Lantom. He's so well-written, and as with most of the MCU, so well-cast, too.

That said, Punisher. The monologue in the graveyard made me cry, and I don't get teary over TV or movies. I also had to go and check on my kids and watch them sleep for awhile.

So many of the fights between/with DD and Frank felt like dances (I mean that in the best possible way). I loved DD busting Frank out of the catacombs or whatever they were supposed to be in, and casually disarming him as he went. Bonus points for Frank calling DD "altar boy." I joked going into the season that that or "choir boy" was my one request for the show.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Punisher's monologue in the cemetery was excellent, and the stuff of which actor's dream.

The action in the Irish hideout was great, and I loved how Daredevil kept knocking weapons out of Frank's hands.

This episode was very light on Daredevil, and much of the time it felt like he was a side character in his own show.

As much as I don't really think the Karen/Matt relationship was interesting at all in the comics, perhaps this show can do something worthwhile in it.

This episode had the best cliffhanger so far. I had to go to the next one.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can only concur with all of that. Frank's closing monologue was great (and I loved the action scene that preceded it - even more than the big fight in episode three), and the appearance of Elektra was perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: