Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club: End of Days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of Days Part 2: ONCE HE LOVED HER. NOW SHE IS THE MOST DEADLY SOCCER MOM!

Plot!
1. Daredevil named himself the new Kingpin of Hell’s Kitchen.

2. Kingpin comes back to New York and Daredevil beats him to death in public.

3. Daredevil and Matt Murdock disappear and no one knows where he went!

4. Years later. Daredevil and Bullseye fight.

5. Bullseye gains the upperhand and right before he kills Daredevil, Daredevil says “Mapone”. Bullseye appears shocked by this word.

6. Ben Urich, after being pressed by J. Jonah Jamison, decides to do some investigating.

7. Ben finally finds one dude who tells him that Matt said “Mapone” right before he died.

8. Ben has dinner with his 16 year old son (?) Timmy.

9. Ben decides to write a story and a Daredevily person appears on the roof tops!

10. Ben goes looking for Black Widow. First in a decommissioned Stark Tower and then Josie(?)’s.

11. The bartender gets a call and Ben receives a message to go around back. In the alley he meets a super old (?) Nick Fury. Fury tells Ben that Black Widow died four years ago and that he has no idea what “Mapone” means. It's worth noting that within minutes Fury a) gets an alert that Ben is asking about the Black Widow b) decides that this is actually worth going to talk to Ben about c) calls the bartender to tell him to tell Ben to go into the alley and d) gets from wherever he was in the world to the alley. Depending on what he was doing he also got dressed in that time. At the very least he put on his jacket. Probably.

12. Ben then goes to visit Milla and sees that she has yogurt loving, redheaded kid named Franklin who looks like he could be anywhere from 5-10 years old. Ben asks if she knows what “Mapone” means. She doesn’t. It sort of looks like she can see now though? At least enough to be able to slap Ben. So that's nice for her.

13. Ben goes to Matt’s funeral. No one else comes but he sees Elektra and tails her to a kids soccer game. At the soccer game Ben sees a redheaded kid who looks to be in his very early teens playing soccer.

14. Elektra comes up behind Ben and threatens him. It appears that Elektra has been hiding for years (in New York for some reason?). And then Ben says...guesses? Any guesses? Comon, guess. That’s right! “Mapone”!

Ben(dis)’s Mysteries!
Why did Matt kill the Kingpin? Nothing yet.
Why did Matt leave New York? Because he killed the Kingpin (?).
Where did he go? No idea.
How did Bullseye find him? No idea.
And what did Matt say with his dying breath? Mapone.
What did it mean? Nick Fury and Milla don’t know and neither do we.
Who’s the guy in the Daredevil suit? Didn’t even see him this issue.

Fun Facts!
Illegitimate Kids Shown This Issue: 2 (Milla’s pre-teen kid and Elektra’s tweenish kid).
Running Illegitimate Kid Count: 2
Did What Happens on the Cover Happen: Sort of. It happened last issue.
Cliff Hanger: Elektra might kill Ben because….MAPONE!

Whose Time is it Anyways?
Sam Wilson (The Falcon) is President.
S.H.I.E.L.D. has been shut down.
Ben comments that Nick Fury has to be a hundred years old.

So timeline is unclear at this point but we’re talking at least a decade?

Now THAT is Decompression!
Number of Panels in THIS ISSUE of Ben’s Face With No Action and No Dialogue: 10

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just read the second issue for the very first time. My initial thoughts are that it wasn't bad. It's pretty much Citizen Kane, except that "rosebud" is an actual word. What is Mapone? Is it two syllables, rhyming with "alone"? Or is it a three syllable Italian thing?

This issue reminds me of "Wake Up," Bendis' previous collaboration with Mack. The main reason for that is that "Wake Up" was more of a Ben Urich story than Daredevil, just like this.

The New York of this timeline doesn't look that different from the present day, with Marvel Superheroes everywhere you look.

Is that bar supposed to be Josie's? When did Black Widow ever help Daredevil knock around lowlifes in a bar? Also, if you read Bendis' run, for some reason he and Maleev had Daredevil visiting bars other than Josie's. The one he visits in "Underboss" is called Flemings, for instance.

But not much happens in this issue. Fury denies knowing what Mapone means. Milla (re-married and the mother of what looks like Matt's son) denies knowing what Mapone means. Urich asks Elektra what Mapone means, and we run out of paper.

This issue doesn't offend me the way the first one did. If you always wanted a version of Citizen Kane with Marvel superheroes, your wish has come true. It's fine. I give this one 3 out of 5.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Fun Facts!
Illegitimate Kids Shown This Issue: 2 (Milla’s pre-teen kid and Elektra’s tweenish kid).

When I read the next issue, I'll be watching to see if it's obvious that the red-haired soccer kid is a) Elektra's, and b) Matt's. As of now, I'm not sure, because the kid wasn't with her at the funeral, and never in the same panel as her.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
james castle wrote:
Fun Facts!

When I read the next issue, I'll be watching to see if it's obvious that the red-haired soccer kid is a) Elektra's, and b) Matt's. As of now, I'm not sure, because the kid wasn't with her at the funeral, and never in the same panel as her.

Well, it may not be obvious but it's strongly implied.

First, if it's not her kid what is she doing at the soccer game? Watching other people's kids play soccer? I hope not.

Plus, she says "You remember when I had nothing to lose...imagine what I'm like now". Given that at that point they're both watching the kid(s) on the field I'm not sure what she could be referring to as the thing she now has to lose other than her child.

Finally, there are multiple shots of the kid playing soccer. Whereas I wouldn't put it past Bendis to have a bunch of shots of a completely unrelated kid to fill out pages I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here and say that we're seeing the kid for a reason.

Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of crappy combination of artist and editor is this? Milla slaps Ben with enough force to make him reel away and send his glasses flying??? What is she, the incredible Hulk?
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought all the kids was a little inside joke that Matt had slept with all these women and never came close to having a kid. Made me laugh regardless.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a first. An issue where I really have nothing to say. Things happened, I guess? Not really? Ben's continuing to talk to people and we meet Milla and then Elektra at the end.

I thought the exploration of whether Matt had a death wish was interesting, except I don't think it was really explored. It was just stated matter of factly. If I were to weigh in on the subject, I would say he generally did not. Daredevil was escapism and he was reckless, but I don't think he wished to die. In fact, I'd argue it was quite the opposite. I think, generally, he was sure enough of himself that he thought he was invulnerable. That doesn't mean Milla wouldn't have seen it that way, but I'm also not sure if it matters how Milla would have viewed it unless they want to explore this more.

Obviously, the implication is Milla's kid, Franklin, is Matt's kid. I wonder if that's just a little backstory for the time in between or truly plot relevant. I assume that was him at the end with Elektra, so I'm guessing he'll come up again.

Three Stars. It really should be two and a half. There's just nothing I actively disliked, so it was hard to go lower. But I feel I could have skipped the issue and not minded it in the slightest.

ETA: Reading other comments - I suppose they're probably different kids (and everyone has a little Matt). Second, I didn't catch that Sam Wilson was President. I like that. Third, I did notice that Milla seemed awfully precise with hitting Ben for a blind woman. Maybe Matt just taught her to hone her skills, who knows?

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grudgingly I admit that this second issue was better than the first. With the problems of how Matt is killed out of the way, we can focus on why he was killed as Ben searches for the meaning of the word 'Mapone'.

He searches for Natasha only to learn that she has died. He talks to Milla only to be slapped and he stumbles across Elektra after Matt's funeral only to be threatened by her.

And we still have no clues whatsoever as to what 'Mapone' may mean or imply.

While the dialogue was decent and wonderfully free of Bendis' repetitiveness, the decompression was horrible. Did we really need that many panels of Ben simply walking to the alley behind the bar?

The timeline of this story is still wonky. Avengers are everywhere, the Bugle is still folding, Fury 'looks over 100 years old' yet again Ben, JJJ, Elektra, and I would guess even Milla look remarkably the same.

If SHIELD is shut down,then who is operating all those Helicarriers flying over Manhattan?

As for the kids, I thought one rumor was that Bendis believed Matt to be something of a horn dog and player with women. I've never subscribed to that ideal. Sure, Matt has had numerous relationships with various women over the years but they've all been deep emotional relationships rather than mere flings which is what Bendis' opinion seems to imply. So maybe all these illegitimate kids was Bendis' *wink wink* to that ideal. (For yes, I too thought the kid playing soccer was Elektra's son).

I can't think of any real reason for why Foggy would never attend Matt's funeral.

Did Bendis just reference something outside of his own DD run? From Miller no less? What?!

Overall an okay issue. Even though we don't know anymore about the main mystery of this story at this issue's end than we did at the beginning (decompression at it's best) I'll give it Three stars. Ben's narration and thoughts continue to salvage this story.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Bendis will reference Frank Miller. He also referenced Guardian Devil when it came to the death of Karen. He doesn't reference anything outside of that when it comes to DD continuity, though.

Daredevil End of Days #3

Due 4/24

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is more of the same. Ben finishes talking to Elektra, and he can't seem to tell the difference between how a pointy sai and a woman's finger feels. And yes, there is no doubt that the soccer boy is her son, and his name is Matthew.

Then Ben goes to a film studio where Mary Walker is acting. Given her mental and criminal history, it's amazing she's able to sustain a career. And she looks nothing like Mary Walker. Her hair is red. I suppose hair dye is a thing, but still. She denies knowing what Mapone means, and she has two red-haired sons. They were born to Typhoid apparently, not Mary.

Then Ben goes to a university campus where Maya Lopez is teaching a class. She hasn't seen Matt in five years and has given up her Echo identity. This is my favourite part of the issue, because either Mack takes over on art for the flashback, or Sienkiewicz does an amazing Mack impression. I have fond memories of Parts of a Hole, and this took me right back there. But she doesn't seem to know what Mapone means either.

The issue ends with an image of Daredevil running over a rooftop, but is that just to make sure we have the requisite number of Daredevil drawings per issue? Is it to draw a parallel between Ben and Daredevil? I, for sure, don't know.

Issue three seems to be a repeat of issue two. Is this how the series is going to be for five more issues -- Ben visiting Daredevil's supporting cast, who have produced red-haired offspring and no one knowing what Mapone means? Can no editor turn down a story pitch from Bendis?

Anyway, it's pathetic that this so closely resembled #2, but I love the Echo art. Three out of five.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shout out to the cover since I know that's the creative team as cops. Regardless of what I'll think about the rest of the story, I do like the inside joke. Plus, I like the look on David Mack's face. There's also a reference to a Mr. Brubaker.

The story opens with Elektra being defiantly cryptic and telling Ben to stay away. It's obviously a callback to their first encounter. If there's anyone that can put Ben Urich off a story, it's Elektra (or maybe that giant nurse, but I think she's dead). Presumably Matt was with her at some point during the gap if that's Matt's kid, but who knows? Apparently, Matt was also with Mary Walker, which bothers me. It's not that he wouldn't have genuine feelings for her, but he was so harmful to so many people (including her) during his affair with her. I feel this sort of is glossed over. The suggestion that Matt had kids with the Typhoid Mary half is even more disturbing but, to be fair, it's left ambiguous (and Mary's hair is pretty red here too).

I have to say Maya Lopez is a welcome surprise (is this before or after Bendis killed her off? I'm guessing after since it talks about her being killed and resurrected by the Hand). Of course, there's a very quick art error with Ben looking away and talking to her (it happens literally right after they point out that she's deaf and can't hear him). I like David Mack drawing here.

I think the big takeaway is the idea of the superhero life destroying Matt. The scene with Maya sent that home. Frankly, it was the best scene in the issue. I'm not sure if any of the others contributed anything (but I'll leave open the possibility that I am wrong). It offers something to chew on, but it came so late after so little. Better than last time, but Three Stars.

james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of Days Part 3: Is This English?

Plot!
1. Daredevil named himself the new Kingpin of Hell’s Kitchen.

2. Kingpin came back to New York and Daredevil beat him to death in public.

3. Daredevil and Matt Murdock disappear and no one knows where he went!

4. Years later. Daredevil and Bullseye fight. Bullseye gains the upperhand and right before he kills Daredevil, Daredevil says “Mapone”. Bullseye appears shocked by this word.

5. Ben Urich, after being pressed by J. Jonah Jamison, decides to do some investigating and finds one dude who tells him that Matt said “Mapone” right before he died.

6. Ben has dinner with his 16 year old son (?) Timmy.

8. Ben decides to write a story and a Daredevily person appears on the roof tops!

9. Ben goes looking for Black Widow but finds an old Nick Fury instead. Fury tells Ben that Black Widow died four years ago and that he has no idea what “Mapone” means.

10. Ben then goes to visit Milla and asks if she knows what “Mapone” means. She doesn’t.

11. Ben goes to Matt’s funeral and Elektra and tails her to her son’s soccer game. He asks her if she knows what “Mapone” means to which she replies “Is that English?”. Good question.

12. Ben goes to see Typhoid Mary who is just Mary Walker now. Guess what? She has two redheaded kids. Two. Even better they’re Typhoid Mary’s kids apparently. So Matt fathered some illegitimate kids with a mentally ill woman. That’s nice.

13. Ben goes to see Echo. She says she saw Matt last five years ago when he was beat up by The Hood and had lost an eye. He was still Daredevil but it inspired her to stop being Echo (after another year). Ben asks her if she knows what “Mapone” means and her incredibly reasonable answer is “Is that a word?”. At least she doesn’t have any Matt babies. OH WAIT! Check out the picture on her desk! It’s a redhead kid and it’s addressed to “mom”. So there you go. A fifth. FIFTH redheaded son. FIFTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Ben gets a call and learns that they’ve found Bullseye.

15. The guy dressed as Daredevil makes another appearance and is running along the roof of University. I assume he was following Ben (?).

Ben(dis)’s Mysteries!
Why did Matt kill the Kingpin? Nothing.
Why did Matt leave New York? Because he killed the Kingpin (?).
Where did he go? Nothing.
How did Bullseye find him? Nothing.
And what did Matt say with his dying breath? Mapone.
What did it mean? Nick Fury, Milla, Elektra, Mary and Echo don’t know and neither do we.
Who’s the guy in the Daredevil suit? Who knows.

Fun Facts!
Illegitimate Kids Shown This Issue: 4 (Elektra’s tweenish kid, Mary’s twins and Echo’s son).
Running Illegitimate Kid Count: 5.
Did What Happens on the Cover Happen: No. But we’re all agreed that that’s supposed to be Bendis on the left right? The dead Kingpin looked kinda like Bendis on #2’s cover but this is almost 100% for sure some wanky inside joke.
Cliff Hanger: Someone in a Daredevil suit is running on a rooftop (which is kinda different than someone in a Daredevil suit standing on a rooftop like in issue #1).

Whose Time is it Anyways?
Note: Okay, this is getting us nowhere. Let’s just start to nail down things that we’ve actually been given definitive years for.

So Matt was still Daredevil and lost an eye five years ago. Which is before he disappeared after killing the Kingpin.
Natasha died four years ago.
Echo stopped being Echo four years ago.

So at most we’re only 5 years since Matt disappeared. Which is less than the decade I sort of thought before. But whatever.

Now THAT is Decompression!
An issue in which Ben visits three women and asks them the same question and gets the same “I dunno” answer from each of them speaks for itself.

Why aren't you laughing?
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever enjoyed anything in your life? Wink
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayle88 wrote:
Have you ever enjoyed anything in your life? Wink

How do you mean? Sure, I'm making a few editorial comments but I'm mostly just reporting the facts.

Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure Daredevil declaring himself King of Hell's Kitchen should count as a plot point any more than Elektra shoves a Sai in Ben Urich's back counts. It was just a reference to a previous story.

I don't think I'm over the possible children between Typhoid Mary and Matt Murdock. I was uncomfortable enough in Last Rites, but this implies it happened again - it's sex with a woman who isn't in control of her body. It's just troubling all around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: