Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club: End of Days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
Holy crap.

This whole exercise has been worth it just for that.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one. I'm actually curious about this. While it didn't seem like the story had much direction for awhile, it started with at least some sense that had a plan and maybe it was just in the execution to make it eight parts. Let's see...

And ... no. This issue feels far more like an epilogue than a conclusion issue, which would be fine if the last seven parts did anything. With Ben's death, I would have liked a bit more reflection on him, but I don't think they did enough to address Matt. I smirked a bit when Nick Fury called Ben Urich Tim's Uncle Ben, though.

Stick being reincarnated as Mapone Romanova is, eh, fine. I'm beyond caring at this point. I don't really think it makes much sense. On the other hand, I don't care enough to think about it. I like that Matt seemingly had a happy moment with Natasha and they had a son together, but I don't think it really fits in with everything else (particularly where they ended up). If the revelation was that he went off the grid and was actually happy, that'd be great, but I'd expect to see some build up to that. I honestly expected the revelation to be that he disappeared and was a hermit in a state of depression. Maybe that's too obvious, but the story at least earned it. This ending was random. Moreover, I'm not even sure if that's what the ending was. It is a good coda for all of Bendis's work. I'll accept it as that even if it's nowhere near as well-written as his best.

Three Stars. I'll be generous. It goes out far more with a whimper than a bang.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

Fun Facts!

Illegitimate Kids Shown This Issue: 1.

I suppose, in fairness, we don't know this one is an illegitimate child. I also suspect the others were intended to be red herrings. Otherwise, the ending would have no meaning (which is saying something considering the little meaning it has).

Quote:
Now THAT is Decompression!

The Entire Series. Honestly, this thing is pure, pure, pure trash. Sets up a bunch of mysteries that never get solved and then just completely craps the bed on the two mysteries it does deliver on (Timmy being Daredevil and Mapone being Matt’s daughter). Such. Such. Such trash.

Now that I agree with. I think that sums it up completely.

DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take part in this book club, so I feel rude chiming in just to be negative, but I couldn't resist.

I read End of Days once. I will never read it again. Thankfully I managed not to ever spend any money on it, however my friend was not so lucky.

Horrible story on every level. Mostly horrible artwork. It reads like what I imagine bad fan-fiction by talentless 13 yr old would.

I'd call End of Days no better than toilet paper, but at least toilet paper has dignity in its purpose.

I pimp Daredevil out to my friends and people I know who enjoy reading and superheroes, especially since the Netflix series dropped, and I specifically tell people to avoid this story like leprosy.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Stick being reincarnated as Mapone Romanova is, eh, fine. I'm beyond caring at this point.

But that's a minimal requirement for any art form -- to make an audience care. If it fails in that, doesn't that make it a failure?
Mike Murdock wrote:
It is a good coda for all of Bendis's work. I'll accept it as that even if it's nowhere near as well-written as his best.

I find it a good coda for all of Bendis' Daredevil work in that End of Days sucks. Everyone knows that I don't like Bendis' writing, but you do, so I don't know why you would see something so awful as a fitting coda.
Mike Murdock wrote:

I don't know what this series has done to earn any generosity.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good coda for all of Bendis' work the same way a rectum is a good coda for a digestive apparatus
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

Mike Murdock wrote:
It is a good coda for all of Bendis's work. I'll accept it as that even if it's nowhere near as well-written as his best.

I find it a good coda for all of Bendis' Daredevil work in that End of Days sucks. Everyone knows that I don't like Bendis' writing, but you do, so I don't know why you would see something so awful as a fitting coda.

I think it's that I at least see where he was going with it. And it had enough callbacks to his run to justify going there. The story itself doesn't work as a story, but as a callback it's OK.

Quote:
Mike Murdock wrote:

I don't know what this series has done to earn any generosity.

I don't know. It's hard to get below three stars from me and this story was consistently getting two and a half. I think part of it may have been that I was too generous to Daredevil: Father. That story got mostly in the two and a half range. Every story after that I go "well, it wasn't nearly as bad as that story, which caused hatred on a physical level." That makes it hard to score it lower. I was probably also influenced by TOMP's scores back when she used to give a score. Even mediocre stories got decent numbers, but you could tell it was a dramatic drop in quality because they were so much lower. I think, at this point, it feels better to be consistent than anything else.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
I think part of it may have been that I was too generous to Daredevil: Father. That story got mostly in the two and a half range. Every story after that I go "well, it wasn't nearly as bad as that story, which caused hatred on a physical level."

Oooh, I can't decide which was worse: End of Days or Father.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite issue of that series was issue three because it wasn't on Marvel Unlimited so I didn't have to read it. I read other people's reviews and went "Samurai suit, that sounds cool." When I started to read issue four I went "What the %$#@ was that?!" (BTW, I feel I should know the answer, but can we curse on this forum?). The only saving grace of that story was I couldn't read the text whispered to Daredevil. But someone else here could and it sunk the story to new lows.

Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was what (or who) Mapone was????

Un-believable. I couldn't finish this, it was that bad and boring to me. Yes, some interesting ideas here and there but Bendis completely fails to capitalize nor build upon any of them for the poor reader.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
In anticipation of the final issue let's set the stage/anticipation with a look at what the critics had to say:

IGN

“Like the issues that came before it, this one was fantastic. Superb storytelling, art, and characterization. Daredevil: End of Days is an incredible series that showed us something we rarely get to see in the world of superhero comic books: the end.” 8.8/10

Comic Book Resources

“Despite that challenge, there is no doubting that this is perhaps one of the consummate Daredevil stories, as the presence of all those crucial to ol' Hornhead spills throughout the pages of "Daredevil: End of Days" #8. There are a lot of talking heads, but there's also plenty of plot advancement, critical reveals and even a few fights as Punisher, Peter Parker and Nick Fury make appearances. The writing duo brings everything home nicely, adding a wrinkle and bit more mystery before buttoning it all up for readers. I even find myself wanting more -- the mark of good storytelling.” 5/5

Exciting!

Wow! Do either of these sites give negative reviews to anything? One More Day? Holy Terror?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: