Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #7 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #7?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #7 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #7 by Soule, Buffagni and Milla ships May 25th and here's the cover by Bill Sienkiewicz and the preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-007

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue comes out next week![/img]
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, my review for this issue will have to wait for this weekend because I have a jury trial tomorrow. Do you know who doesn't have a jury trial? Matt Murdock. Because he screwed up and got demoted to ECAB.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Sadly, my review for this issue will have to wait for this weekend because I have a jury trial tomorrow. Do you know who doesn't have a jury trial? Matt Murdock. Because he screwed up and got demoted to ECAB.

I LOL'd. Laughing
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good issue. The problems with putting an identity back in the can have the potential to be interesting but at this point they always feel more than done before.

'I didn't do this but I created the situation that allowed it' isn't really any different than him ever putting on a costume.

I enjoyed Garney's work but I really like this artist, I wish they could stay on the book.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff so far.
So... who's behind DD's current problems and what did he make Elektra see in that video that had her attacking DD for answers?
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this was another really great issue overall. It was great to see Foggy again even if briefly. The way Matt reacted to everything was great. Its nice to see a hero refuse to fight and talk things out reasonably. I kinda wish Elektra was more than just a plot device to get at Matt, but it is his book. Love the art. I kinda wish he was the regular artist. I gave this a 4/5.

The reason this didn't get a perfect score was one little plot point that I'm not sure how I feel about yet. "She is eleven years old" and then followed by Matt confirming that the timing is possible. Maybe I'm over thinking it or missing something, but as Jerry Seinfeld would say, "that's a pretty big matzoh ball hanging out there."

Established, or at least previously established, facts of Matt's history:
Matt and Elektra dated their first year of college (age 18-19)
Matt became Daredevil after graduating law school and becoming a lawyer (approx. age 25)

So this means Matt and Elektra are around 30-31 years old? And Matt has only been Daredevil around 5 years? I don't think I have to explain why that doesn't work at all unless this history is completely and totally new in ANAD Marvel, and we are now reading essentially an all new character.

Last edited by DesignDevil on Thu May 26, 2016 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't crazy about this issue.

On the plus side, I like how Elektra continues to conflict Matt more than any other character does. Their dynamic is something special. I continue to enjoy Buffagni's art.

But there are big problems. First of all, the video on the phone. If there was a video on the phone, and but Matt can't see it, surely that would be a giveaway to Elektra that Daredevil is blind. On the other hand, if there was no video on the phone, and Matt acted like there was a video on the phone, but indeed there was no video on the phone, then surely that would be a giveaway to Elektra that Daredevil is blind. Or that Elektra for some reason thought there was a video on the phone when there was no video on the phone. I found the whole video on the phone thing frustrating. And of course it ended up being some mind control thing, which I already saw happen to Elektra during Greg Rucka's run.

Secondly, this who magical reset thing has gotten beyond annoying. This is the end (?) of this Elektra two-parter, and we have learned exactly nothing new as to why nobody except Foggy knows (nice to see him for the second time this series btw), and why he's wearing a black costume. This is unacceptable, and disrespectful. Soule and Amanat are demanding to much of my patience. I gave this a two.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this issue up until the revelation that the kid wasn't real.I thought it could have really shook things up a lot, and the mind control crap was a complete cop out. This two parter seemed like a waste of time and I see no payoff for the wait of why things are the way they are. I find it frustrating that Elektra doesn't know who he is. I still blame Waid and Marvel for putting a writer in this situation but I wish Soule would have just said Secret wars fixed it, restored it back before the outing, and moved on.One thing is for sure, Soule seems very dedicated to Blindspot, I expected more from Elektra. The Hand raising Matt and Elektra's kid could hae been cool. Oh well.This is still way better than the crap Waid spewed for four years but I am disappointed that Soule would make such an interesting backstory and then back out of it. Elektra deserved better than to be some plot point.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
So this was another really great issue overall. It was great to see Foggy again even if briefly. The way Matt reacted to everything was great. Its nice to see a hero refuse to fight and talk things out reasonably. I kinda wish Elektra was more than just a plot device to get at Matt, but it is his book. Love the art. I kinda wish he was the regular artist. I gave this a 4/5.

The reason this didn't get a perfect score was one little plot point that I'm not sure how I feel about yet. "She is eleven years old" and then followed by Matt confirming that the timing is possible. Maybe I'm over thinking it or missing something, but as Jerry Seinfeld would say, "that's a pretty big matzoh ball hanging out there."

Established, or at least previously established, facts of Matt's history:
Matt and Elektra dated their first year of college (age 18-19)
Matt became Daredevil after graduating law school and becoming a lawyer (approx. age 25)

So this means Matt and Elektra are around 30-31 years old? And Matt has only been Daredevil around 5 years? I don't think I have to explain why that doesn't work at all unless this history is completely and totally new in ANAD Marvel, and we are now reading essentially an all new character.

This is where the rolling timeline get's tricky. They say that the start of the Marvel universe is always 12 years in the past but that essentially means the start of the heroes careers. If Matt became Daredevil at 25 then now he has to be mid 30's so really a kid from college should now be around 16-17 right? It's one of those things that is best left alone and just taken for what it is otherwise nothing would make sense. They should of said when Elektra was pregnant and not given an age for the child.

I'm guessing whoever hid Matt's identity had a part in this plot to screw with him?
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is where the rolling timeline get's tricky. They say that the start of the Marvel universe is always 12 years in the past but that essentially means the start of the heroes careers. If Matt became Daredevil at 25 then now he has to be mid 30's so really a kid from college should now be around 16-17 right? It's one of those things that is best left alone and just taken for what it is otherwise nothing would make sense. They should of said when Elektra was pregnant and not given an age for the child.

Yeah, I get all that and its usually easy to ignore. This just really stuck with me because it came right after Soule had another questionable "take" on Matt's history last issue. Matt and Elektra never had a romantic relationship outside of college, but there it was.

I don't get why writers don't have a standing rule that they can't use specific years and dates. A good or creative writer should be able to get around that easily. Especially in this particular story where the child turned out to not exist and was simply a plot device for these two issues, there was no need to give the child a specific age. It could have been left simply with "She was born 8 months after I left college" and now Matt is worried that he's had a child all these many years.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is very intriguing. It starts with a bit of tension with what Elektra's doing, a certain wonder if she's gone crazy (since she's asking about a daughter we never knew about). What follows is an interesting addition. I have no problem with Elektra having a kid - although, jeez, don't trust Stick with smaller people (sorry, lost the word there), he can't be responsible!

I like the direct callback to Daredevil 168. IMO, this is the true Elektra backstory. This is Elektra who lost faith when her father was murdered, not Elektra who was crazy from the beginning. They teased whether the kid was Matt's. I have no problem with that, but I'm not sure if Soule has earned it yet. The name Iona is certainly much better than Mapone.

Second time Soule played up Matt's blindness, not being able to see a video. Is it overkill? I don't think so yet. It's making up for all the years where this totally should have happened. Plus, we can finally see Foggy again. And then the story switches entirely. I won't spoil the twist, but I'm sure it has something to do with Matt's choice. I do like how it reflects on Elektra. She ends up relieved more than angry (although I'm sure there will be hell to pay).

I was going to go with four. But I honestly like that ending a lot. It's intriguing. This issue also felt less dark. Maybe having Matt interact with Elektra and Foggy were the welcome breath of fresh air I needed. I'm going Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the notion of Elektra having a child and possibly being Matt's as an extension of the themes Soule explored last issue. However Matt was able to alter the memories of seemingly everyone in order to restore his secret identity, a dichotomy now exists in the memories of the women he's loved.

Now comes the possibility that one of them became pregnant and the child may be his. His or Daredevil's? Because of that dichotomy, Elektra may believe the father to be one OR the other, not both. Thus, a complicated solution, which Matt was already feeling guilty about, becomes worse. I can understand his fear and wanting to learn the truth for a number of reasons.

I liked Elektra here, her reactions were great and atypical. At the end, she was relieved but not for the reasons you would expect. She was angered but not for the reasons you would expect. Soule handled the dynamic between Matt and Elektra very well.

As for the video phone, I would think that the mind control Elektra was under conditioned her to 'see' that video. As for her questioning why Matt couldn't see it, I would imagine by now, Matt has plenty of practice and experience in bluffing his way through such scenarios in order to keep secret that he is really blind. So this part really didn't bother me.

As for who was behind this, Soule teases some interesting possibilities. Could it be the person(s) who helped Matt regain his secret identity? If so, why the change? Did Matt renege on his side of their bargain in some fashion? Or could it be someone who, through unknown means, is aware of the memory change in some manner? Thus knowing Daredevil is involved, sought to attack him?

My only real nitpick is since the success of the Netflix show, DD has become part of the stable of books that Marvel is trying desperately to 'mold' more into line with their movies and TV shows. For I swear that was Charlie Cox sitting there talking with Foggy (who was great to see again and that he is still practicing law).

Otherwise, some interesting puzzles, great characterization, terrific art, overall a strong issue. 4 stars.
ManWithoutBeer
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I wasn't crazy about this issue.

On the plus side, I like how Elektra continues to conflict Matt more than any other character does. Their dynamic is something special. I continue to enjoy Buffagni's art.

But there are big problems. First of all, the video on the phone. If there was a video on the phone, and but Matt can't see it, surely that would be a giveaway to Elektra that Daredevil is blind. On the other hand, if there was no video on the phone, and Matt acted like there was a video on the phone, but indeed there was no video on the phone, then surely that would be a giveaway to Elektra that Daredevil is blind. Or that Elektra for some reason thought there was a video on the phone when there was no video on the phone. I found the whole video on the phone thing frustrating. And of course it ended up being some mind control thing, which I already saw happen to Elektra during Greg Rucka's run.

Secondly, this who magical reset thing has gotten beyond annoying. This is the end (?) of this Elektra two-parter, and we have learned exactly nothing new as to why nobody except Foggy knows (nice to see him for the second time this series btw), and why he's wearing a black costume. This is unacceptable, and disrespectful. Soule and Amanat are demanding to much of my patience. I gave this a two.

This pretty much sums up my opinions as well. Two, tops.

At best, I think it's lazy to use mind control as a convenient answer to those legitimate questions that the plot raises.

I didn't love the idea of a baby being retconned into Elektra's story, but the idea was done away with so quickly. Any intrigue from last issue's cliffhanger was now squashed in less than a full issue.

That leaves the big ongoing questions which we've been hanging on for an arc and a half now. SOME answers to these ongoing questions should at least be offered. Give the reader a reason to care.

This run has been very poor so far overall. I'll save my hyperbole on how poor for now.. On the plus side, we may only have another 9 months to a year until the next volume launches with a new team.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: