Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Some frank talk about the current Daredevil run
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add something to the discussion. I have checked, and there actually IS a "precedent for an entire run to be retconned" and it is in fact relatively recent in comic book time (about 15 years ago).

It was The Incredible Hulk vol. 2 #34–76 (2002–2004), by Bruce Jones. It was a decent storyarc, but it got entirely handwaved as a dream induced in the Hulk by Nightmare (even though it made little sense, given that multiple viewpoints of the story were shown, not just Hulk's), essentially giving Greg Pak a clean slate to start the whole Planet Hulk/World War Hulk arc.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also argue Waid's run didn't get retconned in the slightest. It got reset, but it still happened and has at least been referenced. It's like saying Bendis's run get retconned because people don't suspect Matt of being Daredevil right now and he's not married.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to insert a small comment here:

I absolutely abhor when a story, series, arc... whatever you want to insert here... is simply erased, because it didn't work. It is lazy and unimaginative.

While I wasn't a fan of everything that Waid did, it wasn't all bad. The Foggy cancer stuff was interesting. I thought the original concept, or reason, for Matt's happier demeanor was explained pretty well. I was wiling to give it a shot. Let us not forget that Waid wasn't really the writer that let the secret identity "out of the bag".

Mind you, I'm not some new fan of the character either. I've been reading the various ongoing titles of DD since the mid 80's, and have read nearly everything back before that.

We can't all agree on the way the character is written. I hated the celebrity stuff also, and the different direction the title was going. But I AM a Daredevil fan! I think that Soule is doing what he can, to undo some things to the character that never should have been aloud to happen.

Wow, that went on for a lot longer than I intended.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, he didn't erase what happened, what he did was change the status quo regarding his secret identity (which, as you pointed out, started with Bendis). All those stories still happened. One of the characters created in Volume 3 was mentioned. However, there are stories for Daredevil you can't tell with his identity known, simple as that.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Some frank talk about the current Daredevil run Reply with quote

jriddle wrote:

I've been with DD for decades, hoss--if you want to start playing "whip out the fan credentials," you're the one who's going to end up back in the Pee Wee League.

Please. You joined the board right around the time you started hating Daredevil comics. You just signed up to complain.

And your complaints aren't even that lucid. It is painfully clear that you haven't even bothered to read Waid's run before criticizing it. The idea that he completely "destroyed" the character and his world is ludicrous in the extreme. Anyone who thinks Waid made Daredevil a grinning jokester hasn't actually read the comics. There are a lot of great and very Daredevily moments through out the run.

Just ranting in overly flowery language isn't actually an argument. It's completely ridiculously and childish that you would, without even reading the issues, come on the board just to throw a tantrum.

You want to go toe to toe on who is the biggest Daredevil fan? Well, I read the comics. You don't. Let's start there. Of course, I expect that you'll bleat and insist that you have read the comics but it's painfully clear you haven't.

Go find a character you actually gel with and read that.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?

Last edited by james castle on Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Some frank talk about the current Daredevil run Reply with quote

jriddle wrote:
james castle wrote:
jriddle wrote:

james castle wrote:
Demanding that continuity be respected or made sense of or whatever is just a crutch people use when they just want to complain.

The problem here is with an insistence upon keeping in continuity things that should have simply been erased--things that should never have been allowed to happen in the first place.

Hahaha. According to who? You?

You know as well as anyone here that was a dead-end as a direction and never going to be allowed to stand, so we can put the appeal-to-incredulity "haha"s aside. Superman Red and Blue were never going to be accepted as the status quo.

james castle wrote:
Second, why would they wipe out an acclaimed run by an acclaimed creator?

Because--as covered more than a few times by now--that "acclaimed" run had entirely wiped out the character and his world. I really don't see any point in continuing to pretend as if there was any chance that what Waid did was going to be continued by anyone. It's taking Batman and making him a grinning jokester who relocates to Ottawa, tells the world who he is and lives as a celebrity--as alien to the book and its mythology as anything that has ever been done to it.

james castle wrote:
Sure, a lot of people (myself included) thought Waid's run lost a little steam in the end. A much smaller group don't like his run at all. It was still a super acclaimed run. The idea that Marvel would erase such an important run so soon is ludicrous.

"Acclaim"--basically, the uncritical praise of a relative handful of internet Waid fanboys who follow him from book to book and slobber all over anything he does--can't make it "important" (you didn't think anyone would notice you trying to pull that?). Waid didn't do a damn thing with the character that will be remembered, say, 6 or 7 years from now except as one of the all-time blunders Marvel has ever undertaken. Teen Tony redux. The punchline of a joke.

james castle wrote:
Third, you don't seem to think any Daredevil is good (aside from a very few specific runs (one of which (Bendis') is actually pretty crappy)). So what are you talking about? Guy who doesn't like the majority of modern Daredevil comics continues to dislike Daredevil comics. So what? They should nuke an important run because a non-fan says so?

I've been with DD for decades, hoss--if you want to start playing "whip out the fan credentials," you're the one who's going to end up back in the Pee Wee League.

Except its naive to expect Marvel to wipe this entire run, especially since it did have some fans, it was not universally hated as you suggested. Why does your opinion matter more then people who liked the Waid run? Now you want Soule get fired because you don't like his run, what about people who like his run or want to give him more of a chance and see what happens next with his run.

You can argue that Marvel has wiped writer runs like they did with Bruce Jones Hulk run, but that is the exception, not the rule. The Clone Saga was far worse then anything ever done to DD (yes it was even worse then Shadowland, Shadowland did not last nearly as long) and Marvel didn't wipe that story from Spider-Man's continuity, they just mitigated it with the return of Norman Osborn and that is what Marvel did with Waid's run, mitigated it, not erased it, that is what you were going to get, to expect otherwise was naive.

You also called using Elektra "the nuclear option" I call BS on that, we crossed that Rubicon a long time ago, Elektra was brought back 20 years ago. Yeah, maybe it would better if Elektra, but she has had several solo series at this point, she is an option on the writers table, she is not the "nuclear option".

Its hard to respect your opinion, when you insist that your opinion matters more then people whom you disagree with you and you never make your criticism constructive. Criticism that is not constructive, just comes off as complaining, it really doesn't add anything productive. If you gotten your way and Waid's run was erased, why couldn't people demand the next run or the run after be erased if they don't like it. Then you end up with Daredevil being the Marvel version of Hawkman, a character who is known for his messed up continuity.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone who thinks Waid made Daredevil a grinning jokester hasn't actually read the comics.

JC, you can't have missed the "Daredevil for the defense" panel with Matt Murdock turned into a Riddler-like idiot.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Quote:
Anyone who thinks Waid made Daredevil a grinning jokester hasn't actually read the comics.

JC, you can't have missed the "Daredevil for the defense" panel with Matt Murdock turned into a Riddler-like idiot.

There were moments but it wasn't that straight forward. Waid dealt a lot with Matt's depression and his outlook on the world, etc.. It's not like Waid just started the run and was like "okay, Matt's super happy now".

Why aren't you laughing?
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belfan wrote:
I'm just going to insert a small comment here:

I absolutely abhor when a story, series, arc... whatever you want to insert here... is simply erased, because it didn't work. It is lazy and unimaginative.

While I wasn't a fan of everything that Waid did, it wasn't all bad.

It was, however, nothing that was ever going to be allowed to stand, which is why it should have never been allowed to happen in the first place. Waid made it very plain when he was given the book that he doesn't write darker adult stories of the kind that had been DD's trademark for years. DD is the Guardian of New York, the Devil of Hell's Kitchen, the man who does the work of the angels in the garb of the devil, blind justice who sees more than the sighted in a world of moral ambiguity, the lawyer by day who is a vigilante by night, the hero who both serves the law and puts himself above it, the scourge of the underworld created by the underworld and on and on. He's a fascinating premise, a concept from which can be wrung an endless stream of stories and his accumulated mythology is both considerable and powerful.

That's the DD that turned DD from a poor man's Spider-Man to an A-lister, the DD everyone knows and loves, the DD creators salivate over the prospect of writing and drawing, the finest tradition of DD. As already noted, Waid did everything except return Matt's sight to undermine and destroy all of this in order to turn DD--a character in which he had no interest--into a character he wanted to write. The result was, of course, a character and book no one else would have wanted to write. It's completely ridiculous to persistently pretend, as others have in this thread, that what he did was something that wasn't going to have to be erased in some radical way by the next creative team--it was a creative abortion from conception. This ad hominem "oh, you don't like it so you think it should be erased; aren't YOU a poopy-head who thinks his opinion is more important than everyone else?" talk is intellectually empty nonsense. Since leaving it as the status quo was never even an option, the only real question was how to go about making the necessary alternations to return the book to some recognizable form. The path chosen by Soule (or his editor) wasn't the best way to go about this.

Belfan wrote:
We can't all agree on the way the character is written. I hated the celebrity stuff also, and the different direction the title was going. But I AM a Daredevil fan! I think that Soule is doing what he can, to undo some things to the character that never should have been aloud to happen.

I think there was a better way to handle it.

Last edited by jriddle on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Quote:

And that's hardly the only example. Waid's run is full of that kind of embarrassing crap.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jriddle wrote:
Francesco wrote:
Quote:

And that's hardly the only example. Waid's run is full of that kind of embarrassing crap.

Not that you'd actually know. But whatever.

Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, back to Soule's run and its quality.
The way I see it, so far he's doing okay. He got back the right atmosphere a DD comic should have. It hasn't been stellar, there hasn't been anything really special and some things have been definitely goofy.
For example, Tenfingers whipping out the gun with ten triggers and then going out like a wuss in that rushed ending to his storyarc
Also the whole "psychic fight" of the most recent issues, in which Matt, a non psychic, manages to knock out a psychic by just... I don't know what the heck he did but it makes little sense. Being able to resist psychic probing is one thing. Being able to knock out a psychic with your mind means you must also have psychic powers. DD doesn't have such powers.
The entire issue also was somewhat a retelling of the time where Matt went to Monaco in Brubakers' run, right down to when a girl goes to meet him to spy on him right after he has won a large sum of money.

About what Matt did to make everyone forget, I agree that it's about time it was revealed. The mistery has gone far enough and it's getting dangerously close to "Mapone Mystery" territory.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also the whole "psychic fight" of the most recent issues, in which Matt, a non psychic, manages to knock out a psychic by just... I don't know what the heck he did but it makes little sense. Being able to resist psychic probing is one thing. Being able to knock out a psychic with your mind means you must also have psychic powers. DD doesn't have such powers.

This is actually one of those Frank Miller things that most writers have ignored. Miller had Stick communicating with Matt telepathically during his original run, and then took it further in Elektra Lives Again with a similar scene to Soule's where a member of the Hand tried to get into Matt's head. There it also states that Stick taught Matt to defend against psychic intrusion and it didn't end well for the Hand member. Soule took it much further still by visualizing the "battle" in Matt's head.

Now whether of not this is something Daredevil should be doing is up to debate, but Soule didn't just pull this out of thin air. I've actually always liked this little trick he pulled in Elektra Lives Again and wished it was used more often, so this issue by Soule just tickled me. I thought thats how the Daredevil vs Psylocke fight should've went down in the pointless AVX tie-in. Obviously Betsy is a top class psychic, but Matt being able to hold her off a little so she then resorts to physical combat would've worked better to me than what they came up with in that story. If I remember she invaded his head and was overwhelmed by his senses? Which made me go WTF, how does one have anything to do with the other?
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spider-Man is, among other things, a fun character and a Daredevil team-up with the webhead should usually be fun as well. With Daredevil #9, Soule brings the pair together for the first time since DD performed his whatever-it-was mind-wipe on the world. There' s a lot of playful banter. Maybe a bit too much. It isn't really clear why DD needs Spider-Man along. It's always good to have some extra muscle, of course, but DD has ably handled these situations in the past. Spidey's presence seems an extravagance. That isn't really a criticism; I'll take a DD/Spidey team-up any day. There are some problems with this one, though, to which I'll return in a moment.

Soule continues to write the book as an adventure-of-the-month title--the issue is pretty much just two long chase-scenes punctuated by the occasional action sequence, absent any real depth. Like Spidey, the reader doesn't even know what the two heroes are pursuing until the end--it's just something in a briefcase that's supposed to be important--and Matt's explanation in the closing moments just sort of comes out of the blue, something on which he's allegedly been working for a long time but of which we've never heard until that moment. When, 13 pages in, they recover the case, Soule seems to realize he still has the rest of the comic to fill and finishes up by another long chase-scene, with Spider-Man fleeing with the case and demanding to know why his memory of their past association is so fuzzy before he's willing to turn it over.

Spidey and DD have an association that extends back through 50 years of comic stories. Peter and Matt have known one another's respective identities for about 30 of those years and that's an essential ingredient in their friendship, the point at which they became more than just a pair of guys in long underwear who occasionally flipped off the same roof together. In a sense, Soule is trying to have a particular point both ways with this story. Peter would certainly drop everything and go to the other side of the world for Matt without even needing to know why, which is what happens here, but it seems pretty unlikely that Spider-Man, his knowledge of that wiped, would do the same. Spidey only questions why he trusts DD so much while they're standing on a roof in Hong Kong, their adventure over. Quite a bit late in the game to be particularly credible. And it doesn't really make sense that Spider-Man would think DD could explain his fuzzy memory either, particularly to the extent of making such an issue over it.

DD tells Spidey that erasing everyone's memory was part of the project involving the material in the briefcase. This could explain why Matt went to work as a city prosecutor but it seems to contradict everything else we've seen in Soule's run so far. If this was why he mindwiped everyone--and to be fair, it doesn't say it's the ONLY reason why; it just suggests it was the spur for the action--what in hell has he been doing through the course of the rest of this entire run? Certainly not working on this.
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the new Daredevil Annual #1 and the lead story on this one is a real low-point in Soule's association with this character. The return of Echo should be a pretty significant event--I'm not even sure how Echo is still around--but this reads like bad fan-fiction. Soule's habit of--class, repeat after me--treating DD like an adventure-of-the-month title without any real depth is taken to its most extreme here and this is also the sloppiest work he's done since taking over DD. This reads, no exaggeration, like a child stringing together a fast-paced story and everything is right where it needs to be merely because the writer wants it to be there and doesn't want to take the time--or doesn't have the sophistication--to get events from A to B in any sort of reasoned manner (or, alternately, like something that was dashed out on a lunch-break by someone who would rather be doing something else and just doesn't care).

Echo is at a concert, the music turns those around her into near-formless mutants, she suddenly realizes she's in Hell's Kitchen--no, I didn't make that up--then grabs an ipod and some headphones she conveniently finds (solely because she needs them) and runs across the rooftops shouting for Daredevil and hoping he's around. He is, just sitting on a chimney. He doesn't seem at all surprised to see her or have any reaction at all--just sits there like he sees her every day. She immediately tackles him (how does she manage that, exactly?), slaps the phones on his head and plays really loud music in order to drown out the sound of the song that turns people into mutants.

That's how every turn of the story plays out. At one point, DD just somehow knows how a particular piece of equipment works, one needed to reverse the effects of the pernicious sound. There's no substantive interaction with Echo. She could have just been any random deaf character (her deafness allows her to avoid being mutant-ized). And with those headphones on his head, drowning out the other sounds around him, DD would be entirely "blind." He certainly wouldn't be able to fight his way through sound-mutant hordes. It's a bad story. In its favor, I liked the artwork by Venesa Del Rey but I'll note it's utterly stylized and expressionistic and so probably something that will divide fans.

The second tale is somewhat momentous in that it features the return of Roger McKenzie to DD after an absence of about 38 years. He pens a short piece set in the past about mad Melvin Potter and the voices in his head. It's too short to have much room to breath but McKenzie approaches it with a lot of enthusiasm. Ben Torres, drawing the feature, does his best Johnny-Romita-Jr.-inked-by-Klaus-Janson look. After reading the book, I'll confess I'd have rather seen McKenzie given the longer lead feature. Not necessarily for a longer version of the Potter story but for whatever story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: