Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #9 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #9?
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #9 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #9 by Soule, Sudzuka and Milla ships July 13th, and here's a preview

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-009

Please use this thread for all discussion on the issue!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously spoilers:

This issue has a lot of fun in it. The change in status quo has affected the DD/Spider-Man relationship in a weird way. They know each other as trusted allies, but Spidey seems to have a sneaking suspicion based on the fact that he doesn't know DD's identity - almost like he knows he should know. Then again, maybe people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Mr. Parker.

The middle part is filled with fun action sequences. The two do play off each other well in spite the similarities in style. I think Soule was deliberately playing up Daredevil's senses to trump Spider-Man but, hey, it's his book, he can do that.

But it's the ending that sells the issue. Obviously, pairing the two characters and not playing off the similarity to One More Day would be a mistake. Matt being honest at the end was refreshing and it helps at least show why he is doing what he's doing even if we don't know how. Definitely boosted a fun romp to a very solid story. Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with everything you said. Only Spider-man could hear that explanation and not immediately judge or ask questions because he has done the exact same thing before and dealt with the fall out.

I like seeing Daredevil let loose a little bit. I've never seen him as purposely morose or overly serious. I've always felt he has to be so focused to do what he does that a lot of the time he gets overly caught up and obsessed. Obviously, when things get bad he does sometimes begin to spiral downward until he pushes through.

The biggest thing in the issue was that we finally got something regarding the identity and what Matt is up to. We didn't get any actual useful information but at least we know there is something going on and it's obviously going to be a larger story.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone here is going to have long memories of this issue's heist. It's generic action as comics go. No one seems to be a threat for Daredevil or Spider-Man. It makes you wonder why Daredevil needed Spider-Man at all. They try to justify it with the tracer, but I think it would have made for a better character moment if Daredevil had to find the briefcase without the tracer's help.

No, the real reason Daredevil needed Spider-Man was for the final scene, and it justifies this issue's existence. Spider-Man is enough of a stand-up guy that he didn't peek inside the briefcase, but he doesn't like the way things are going down with Daredevil, to the point where he doesn't quite trust his long-time friend. I had to admit I wasn't enjoying the way Matt was bossing Spider-Man around this entire issue, largely because whatever he did to make everyone forget his secret identity was obviously invasive. He should feel worse for what he's done. So it was good to see Matt take some ownership of what he did here, even if we received no details, but it makes me feel like some are on the way. I am starting to clue, though, that I say that after reading every issue.

Does anyone know if this Spider-Man was Peter or Miles? I heard Peter is dead again. Is that true?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter's not dead and that's Peter. His costume is the red and blue one (now with a hint of a glowing spider).

He let Matt go with his explanation probably not so much because he's a standup guy but because he did the exact same thing to everyone previously.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
GrinchieDog
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Charles Soule at Wondercon this year and asked him about how Daredevil pulled off the secret identity re-do. Surprisingly, he wouldn't tell me. Very Happy

I had this thought last night. What if they never really tell us how they hid the secret identity and as the months and years go by, no one cares anymore?

I was pretty irked at Brand New Day but years later, I'm over it and am enjoying Amazing Spiderman (well, except for Spider Island) as if it never happened.

I'm being light here with this post but the thought crossed my mind. I guess since DD and Spiderman actually discussed the topic means Soule is going to embrace the thread.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall an interview where Soule was asked when we'd find out how DD's identity became secret again and he said 'sometime around #10,' which means we should be finding out soon...
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some have felt mounting frustration over this memory fix reveal but so far, I like how Soule has at least shown the consequences of it. First with Elektra and now with Spider-Man.

Spidey is one of DD's oldest and strongest allies yet now, due to this memory fix, Peter questions his trust in DD even though he can't point specifically as to why. To his credit, even though he considers lying for a moment, Matt decides to uphold that trust by telling Peter the truth (or at least part of it).

It's the closest yet that Soule has come to revealing the nature of this magic fix. Given his own history, Spidey is a great foil for reflecting the morality of this type of action/choice. To his credit, Peter isn't judgemental over this explanation, instead he offers his long-term ally some needed advice.

As for the rest, the heist became trivial, the art was very good and Soule had some great banter between our heroes. Overall, four stars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: