Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Mark Millar. Idiot?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Could Mark Millar be an idiot?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
No
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Too early to tell (need to read entire issue).
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Mark Millar. Idiot? Reply with quote

In reading Millar's script in the Wolverine issue that guests stars DD, Millar says a couple of things that I just don't get.

1) Matt's been blind for 20 years? That would make him what, 38 years old. I'm pretty sure that it's understood that Matt is in his early 30's (roughly, 31-33 years of age). I think Millar should stop watching the crappy DD film when writing about Daredevil. Get it straight Millar.

2) The idea that Matt is some sort of "Mimbo" bedding women left and right. That's just bull. We've gone over this on this message board, and I think that we are all in agreement that Matt is pretty much 1) monogamous and 2) decent in treating women.

So, is Mark Millar just ignoarant. Or is he just an idiot. What do you think?

rgj
Blind Alley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thougt Matt lost sight as a young boy when he saved a blind man. So he might have been blind for 20 years (let's suppose it happened when he was between 10 and 13).
Regarding the other point, in the previews it seems that it's Wolverine who's expressing his POV, not Millar...
No, the biggest flaw I see in the preview is that Wolverine is talking instead of popping out his claws IN Matt's head thus his actions are quite contradictory to his talk.
Bendis once wrote "when someone really wants to kill you... they just show up and do it"...
Greg
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mark Millar. Idiot? Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
In reading Millar's script in the Wolverine issue that guests stars DD, Millar says a couple of things that I just don't get.

1) Matt's been blind for 20 years? That would make him what, 38 years old. I'm pretty sure that it's understood that Matt is in his early 30's (roughly, 31-33 years of age). I think Millar should stop watching the crappy DD film when writing about Daredevil. Get it straight Millar.

I think the official "age" of Matt's blindness is 12... which puts him at 32.

rgj wrote:
2) The idea that Matt is some sort of "Mimbo" bedding women left and right. That's just bull. We've gone over this on this message board, and I think that we are all in agreement that Matt is pretty much 1) monogamous and 2) decent in treating women.

Matt is probably perceived by most in the MU as being a mimbo... I mean, c'mon - the guy has bedded Karen, Natasha, Heather, Mary, Milla, Elektra; he's fooled around with Moondragon, the lawyer chick, the client-gal in Miller's Elektra Lives (?), Echo, Sue Storm, Tigress (well, okay, I made up those last two)... but it would at least be easy to see how the general MU would consider him a mimbo.

Yes, we've debated this one before... I think we all agree that he's NOT a mimbo, but he sure doesn't do himself any favors with the constant flavors-of-the-month rotation he's been under for awhile.

rgj wrote:
So, is Mark Millar just ignoarant. Or is he just an idiot. What do you think?

I actually find Millar's work to be top-notch... enjoyed his Swampthing run; thoroughly enjoying his Wolverine saga. Mark up the above to just general perception... Smile
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
I think the official "age" of Matt's blindness is 12... which puts him at 32.

WRONG. Stan Lee and Frank Miller say Matt was 17-18 years old. Only MSJ (a much bigger idiot than Millar) says 12. So, yeah, Millar is an idiot when it comes to this.

As for Matt's reputation. Are you kidding me? Wolverine is a supposedly more prolific womanizer. Matt has been monogomous in all his relationships. Period. Considering it's been 40 years of writing, the list of gals doesn't seem that long. Heck, some guys go through that number in six months. So, yeah, that's idiotic too. As for it coming from Wolverine (and not Millar). Again, are you kidding me? Wolverine is up to date on Matt's relationships? Whatever. Unless, of course, Logan has a subscription to the Daredevil comic.

Karen: Long relationship, thoughts of marraige.
Natasha: Long partnership and WHO HASN'T slept with her.
Elektra: First love. One year relationship.
Mary: Yeah, ONE time. And, it was to "defeat" her. Afterwards he felt remorse, not exactly the act of a cad.
Moondragon: Don't know much about this. But, c'mon, wasn't Matt going to outerspace during these times.
Lawyer Chic: Don't know who you mean here. If you mean Kate, nothing happened here.
Echo: Never "bedded" her.
Elektra Lives is not in continuity.
Milla: MARRIED the girl.

Yeah, what a mimbo. Matt is quite the bastard. Whatever.

Happy Holidays,
rgj
Greg
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
WRONG. Stan Lee and Frank Miller say Matt was 17-18 years old. Only MSJ (a much bigger idiot than Millar) says 12. So, yeah, Millar is an idiot when it comes to this.

Did you not get your Red Ryder bb gun with a compass in the stock for Christmas, RGJ?

I was actually pretty careful with my terminology... I DO believe that Matt is PERCEIVED in the MU as being a bit of a horn-dog. He just comes off that way. His high-profile fling with Natasha; his high-profile fling with Heather; his profile as a fairly aloof mysterious loner (speaking of Matt, not necessarily DD). I don't think it's a far reach to come to the 'conclusion' that Matt is a horn-dog. It's off-mark, but it's still a conclusion many would come to (and have... even on this Board!).

Plus, as has been previously debated here on the Board for eons, it's pretty well know that he sucks in one-on-one relationships; every single one of his ex's has brought this up at some point or another.

I agree that Matt is a very complex, very passionate, very loving - even monogamous man; I'm not saying he's NOT. What I AM saying is that the way he carries himself; the way he even portrays himself... well, he comes off as being a bit of a ladies man.

As for Millar... I enjoy his work. He's bringing a fresh perspective to a (to me at least) one-dimensional character (Wolvie); I'm enjoying his use of Elektra (and, like you, I do disdain the idea that she's even still being used by writers other than Miller); and I'm interested to see how DD fits into this storyline.

Buck up, RGJ! Maybe Santa will bring you that Red Ryder rifle next year! Smile

Happy holidays to you and yours, mi amigo...

-G
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that maybe that word is "HIMBO", which is a male bimbo. Also known as a "BENBO" if you are talking about a certain person. Laughing

I think you are right, Greg, that even though he's not really a horn-dog in the way he treats women, a lot of others in the MU perceive him as such. Personally, I think Wolvie is just jealous.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Top_Quality
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of ladies men DD is a pimp he has had loads of girls (most of them dead)lol so is spidey he's a pimp too... but there is always a wierd one in the marvel pool and that Capt. America
i never seen him with a chick.... only his man slave bucky
ourchair
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mark Millar. Idiot? Reply with quote

rgj wrote:

rgj

Between Stan Lee, Frank Miller and everyone else who's touched the Daredevil mythology, I think the age at which Matt was blinded is canonically insistent so it's pretty much nitpicking.

But the "20 years" thing gaggle over at Millar's Wolverine aside, I've always been inclined to believe that Matt is pushing forty rather than having "just turned" 30, simply because it should have taken him a damn lot of time from 18 to get a law degree, pass the bar and move his way from working under Sharpe, to running his own firm with Foggy.

And in some ways, Bendis' current stuff in Golden Age makes this fit better. While I'm still a little confused about the chronology in that arc, I'm inclined to believe that we'd need more than a decade in Matt's law career to watch Alexander Bont to go from middle-aged kingpin to crusty old parolee.

http://gigo.jawbreaker.ph/

I Troll the Livejournals and Weblogs at Night. Searching for Justice. Blog Justice.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/experimentego
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Justin K
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Millar Time Reply with quote

Considering he will be having Ultimate DD cameo in the Ultimates, rgj could have alot to be disappointed about. But then they are just cameos, he is not writing the DD series. And this installment is true to the rest of his Wolverine run. The character has been insulting heroes left and right, and considering he has been fraggled with (got to love that Fraggle brain-washing). I would assume his "facts" to be less about staying true to continuity and more about just distracting himself from his goal. On the whole, I think this will turn out much better than some of the other offerings we have been given in the way of DD guest spots. I for one am putting my vote in for Millar as Bendis replacement. Heh.

JK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top_Quality wrote:
speaking of ladies men DD is a pimp he has had loads of girls (most of them dead)lol so is spidey he's a pimp too... but there is always a wierd one in the marvel pool and that Capt. America
i never seen him with a chick.... only his man slave bucky

LOL!!!!!!

Now, THAT is frickin' hilarious!!
ourchair
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Millar Time Reply with quote

Justin K wrote:
On the whole, I think this will turn out much better than some of the other offerings we have been given in the way of DD guest spots. I for one am putting my vote in for Millar as Bendis replacement. Heh.

JK

Hm. As of late, I've been quite enamored of Mark Millar and I'm sure my taste might seem questionable to some for saying so, so I guess for no other reason than that, Millar is also my choice for taking over Daredevil.

My biggest concern really is Millar's tendency towards unabashedly expository dialogue, but between his remarkably efficient pacing on MK Spider-Man and Ultimates, I'm not one to complain. I think Bendis' pacing on DD is something I don't want to be replaced by someone as glacial as say Ellis, whose run on Ultimate Fantastic Four is torturing me.

I Troll the Livejournals and Weblogs at Night. Searching for Justice. Blog Justice.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Justin K
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Millar Reply with quote

Yeah, Millar taking over is one of my many choices. I think he is effective as a writer, and cares about continuity, MK Spider-Man is a fine example of that. I honestly think that he was just itching to do some stuff with DD, MK Spider-Man also hinted at that. I find his stories to be of a Blockbuster nature, his Wolverine run is one of the finest ways to veil what is essentially a Wolverine Vs. the MU story. Oh, and OT I totally agree on the Ultimate FF... a whole issue just to talk about going to fight Doom.... and the pacing is still going that way.

JK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ourchair
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Millar Reply with quote

Justin K wrote:
Yeah, Millar taking over is one of my many choices. I think he is effective as a writer, and cares about continuity, MK Spider-Man is a fine example of that. I honestly think that he was just itching to do some stuff with DD, MK Spider-Man also hinted at that.

JK

True. For all of Millar's sensationalism and shock value, the guy has a real respect for characterization and plotting.

It's easy to suggest that Wanted and Ultimates are over the top for the sake of being over the top, but almost all of the craziness is for functional purposes. It's interesting how he manages to go "mature readers" yet avoid reducing Ultimate Wasp or Fox into nothing but campy Hollywood sex objects.

It's also interesting to note that Millar admitted to having little personal knowledge of the X-Men when he started Ultimate X-Men, but he justifies this by saying that working on Ultimate was license to really reinvent the characters anyway. I'm not the biggest fan of his early Ultimate X-Men work, but it's an interesting aside.

Getting back to Daredevil, I wouldn't mind seeing the Bendis' potential replacement try to create a high adventure oeuvre instead of trying to duplicate his realistic take. Granted, it won't make the runs reconcile with each other very well, but it'll still be great variety's sake.

Realistically though, I imagine that there'll be a few shifting writers doing short runs for awhile before they get another long-term writer. Let's just hope none of them are Bob Gale.

Alan Amos
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fellow Scot, who lives not far from Millar's home town, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The stuff he did for 2000AD exonerates him at least partially, in my opinion.
ourchair
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Amos wrote:
As a fellow Scot, who lives not far from Millar's home town, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The stuff he did for 2000AD exonerates him at least partially, in my opinion.

Hehehe. Very Happy But I don't think he needs to be "exonerated" seeing as there're enough of us here who love him. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: