Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

My Daredevil story ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: My Daredevil story ideas Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I was bored a few months ago and wrote this for myself without ever intending to share it (since it's a bit self-indulgent). However, given that we have a lot of people commenting on Soule's run with many who are underwhelmed, I especially would be curious to see what they think. Just as importantly, I know Soule will write something that makes this whole idea obsolete and then there would be no point in this.

First off, if any Marvel writer sees this, I give you full permission to use whatever you want without credit or compensation. Seriously, I don't expect it, but it would be cool.

As a way of background before I begin, I will say I had two broad ideas and the rest kind of flowed from there. The first was the specific villain and how that status quo would change. The second was that I wanted to return Daredevil to a defense attorney as quickly as possible. I found, as I was writing, that there were some interesting opportunities to explore with Matt the prosecutor so Soule's status quo continues longer than I expected. I should clarify this is an extremely rough outline, sometimes written in stream of consciousness. A lot of the ideas are vague ideas to determine later. Anyway, let me know what you think (if you want):

Arc One:

Issue One: The issue begins with riots in the street protesting something. My idea so far is the building of a new mosque because I draw my ideas fresh off the headlines of five years ago. Matt is an ADA working with the police to stop the tide of violence. He's working closely with a Muslim police officer Nakia (who the intent is to set up as a potential love interest). She's worried about her family. At one point, looking at the crowd, she tells Matt that she knows some of the people out there and didn't think they would act like this.

There is a possible bomb in the crowd, so Matt disappears and Daredevil begins to work on crowd control and to stop the bomb. He finds the bomb and the person who planted it (tentative name is Russell).

Issue Two: Matt goes to the prison to talk to Russell (who waves counsel and is representing himself). The bomber is babbling incoherently, talking about a savior. He's not giving any motive for what he did besides hatred and fear. Suddenly, the prison breaks out in a riot and Melvin Potter* takes some guards hostage.

Matt and Potter get into a fight. Melvin is so delusional, he doesn't recognize who he is fighting or that he is supposed to be blind. During the fight, Matt is putting the pieces together. He realizes the elements (Gladiator, prison riot) seem familiar. During the fight, he's narrating those clues. When the voice over reads "suddenly, it hits me," the panel shows Melvin knocking Matt clean out. Matt awakes to the news the Lawrence Cranston/Mr. Fear has escaped.

* Full disclosure, I haven't read the annual to know what the deal with Gladiator is in that story.

Issue Three: Matt is the ADA liaison for the police manhunt for Mr. Fear. Nakia is on the team, so they're working closely together. She tells him some things that are happening, but Matt can't quite put the pieces together. Not coming up with any ideas, he goes to visit Foggy. They eventually realize that Cranston is trying to recreate the same effect that caused everyone to forget Matt's secret identity.

Daredevil fights and almost succeeds in getting Mr. Fear. As Cranston escapes, Matt shouts "I'll get you, Mr. Fear." It turns out that Cranston was already successful and Matt has forgotten his secret identity. A few weeks later, Cranston is introduced as the newest ADA. They point out to Matt that he is an old law school buddy who also had some recent license issues but is getting a second chance, just like Matt.

---

I'll stop here for now because I know people tend see to long posts and not read them. There is a second arc involving Mr. Fear that will come soon. I've got about ten issues roughly mapped out with the beginnings of another arc and an "Epic Marvel Crossover Event (TM)" coming after that.

If you've read through my post, I thank you. If you liked it, great. If it sucks, let me know that too. I'd appreciate any suggestions or feedback. Tonight, I'm going to try and post Arc Two.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow-up with Arc Two. If no one cares, I promise I'll stop. Wink

Issue Four: The issue starts with some inconsequential action scenes involving Daredevil vs. some thugs. These guys are brought in to be prosecuted, where Larry Cranston is having success in the DA’s Office. He does a great job convincing witnesses to testify against these gang members, who are part of a new gang known as “the Fear Gang.” Foggy Nelson is defending a client, Bobby, accused of being member. He believes his client is innocent. However, he doesn’t do well in court as he loses his nerve going against Mr. Cranston.

Issue Five: Foggy tries to get someone to speak on Bobby’s behalf, but everyone is afraid to testify. The issue explores Bobby’s background a bit. He has a few minor crimes, but he isn’t a gang member. Foggy asks Matt to help as Daredevil, but Matt refuses believing that these people are guilty. Matt says he’s afraid they’ll find out he’s Daredevil or that he’ll get fired and that they need to roll over and give him Mr. Fear. Foggy calls him a coward. Ultimately, Bobby decides not to testify because of his criminal record. He is found guilty. In prison, Bobby is met by members of Mr. Fear’s gang, including Russell, who try to convince him to join the Fear Gang.

Issue Six: Foggy is determined to crack the Fear Gang. He gets his chance when another individual is accused of being part of the gang (Jaylen). This time, Foggy hires Jessica Jones to investigate. Meanwhile, Matt is made second chair in the prosecution of Jaylen. Cranston convinces Matt that Foggy will do anything to win this case and that he has hired someone to intimidate a witness. Matt is afraid of losing this lead on the Fear Gang. Jessica Jones meanwhile tracks down a witness. While talking with this witness, Daredevil jumps in and the two start fighting.

Issue Seven: Daredevil and Jessica Jones fight. Eventually, they realize they’re on the same side. They catch up with that witness, who had just been watching the whole time. He admits that he doesn’t know anything about the case and that Mr. Fear has convinced him his life would be in danger if he didn’t testify. He also reveals Mr. Fear’s location. Before they go to meet him, they track down some Marvel character (Iron Fist?), who give them a special plant that helps counteract Mr. Fear’s gas (yeah, I'm very vague on this, but, at this point, some kind of cure is necessary. Iron Fist was the first character who popped into my head).

Issue Eight: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist (?) go fight Mr. Fear. Mr. Fear is badly beaten, but escapes, while most of his gang is captured. However, they’re afraid to say anything. The next day, Cranston calls out sick (because of the injuries) and Matt takes over the case. Foggy decides to call Jaylen to testify. When he testifies, Matt hears his heartbeat and realizes that he is telling the truth. He announces that he is dropping the charges, freeing Jaylen. Back in the office, his boss suspends him for doing that.

After that is a two-part story that's more light and fluffy and inspired by Mark Waid's run. The plan is to have a guest appearance of Kirsten McDuffie who has moved on (leading to Matt being jealous). At the end of the story, he moves on too so I can start building the relationship between him and Nakia.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: