Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

How much should Frank Miller's legacy inform Daredevil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: How much should Frank Miller's legacy inform Daredevil? Reply with quote

Most people would agree Frank Miller's run fundamentally changed the Daredevil title and added a lot of iconic elements.

But how much should Frank Miller's legacy inform Daredevil? A lot of people accuse writers after Miller of aping Miller's run (how times has DD suffered a Born Again style event) and not coming up with enough original ideas.

However some people have also disliked runs that they feel move too far the Miller tone, like the recent Waid run, with some fans thinking Waid actively disrespected Miller.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Waid disrespected Miller's run, but I also don't think Miller's run was as dark as people think it was. To me, it should be the baseline tone with the ability to go lighter or darker but not completely overhauling it.

Frank Miller's run was groundbreaking for a reason. But I think it was more a consolidation of what worked well before as opposed to throwing it all out and starting over. Given that, I do think it deserves its disproportionate impact. That being said, I dislike those who are afraid to expand the villains Miller used. I sometimes get the impression the only valid Daredevil villains are gangsters and ninjas and I disagree with that.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Crimson
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
I don't think Waid disrespected Miller's run, but I also don't think Miller's run was as dark as people think it was. To me, it should be the baseline tone with the ability to go lighter or darker but not completely overhauling it.

Frank Miller's run was groundbreaking for a reason. But I think it was more a consolidation of what worked well before as opposed to throwing it all out and starting over. Given that, I do think it deserves its disproportionate impact. That being said, I dislike those who are afraid to expand the villains Miller used. I sometimes get the impression the only valid Daredevil villains are gangsters and ninjas and I disagree with that.

I agree with this. It's exaggerating to suggest Waid "disrespected" Miller's run. The best runs on Daredevil post-Miller are the ones that have played to his history while doing something different, which I think Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid did masterfully.

In general, you don't want to see people run through the same conflicts, ideas, cast, etc. with any character. At some point certain things start to feel like tropes or tiresome. I think a lot of writers have tried to establish new stuff but because so many try, very few run with anything interesting that a prior writer not named Miller introduced, and when they do they usually screw it up, no matter how great. Typhoid Mary was amazing when Nocenti debuted her, but has been laughable by comparison in the hands of Bendis. Lady Bullseye came out with a bang initially but was basically a footnote when Waid used her. Matt leading the Hand was an interesting idea that Diggle and Marvel screwed up, Soule brought Echo back for seemingly no reason, etc. There's fresh people to explore, but writers either fail or ignore them. Haven't seen Mister Fear since Brubaker, and I'd bet the likes of Ikari, Coyote, even Blindspot (Hell, Leap Frog in a mech was cool!) who have been refreshing, we won't see much of in the future. The most constant characters we get tend to be Daredevil, Daredevil's soon-to-be out of the picture love interest, Kingpin, Bullseye, and maybe Elektra or Gladiator. All usually done in Miller fashion.

Daredevil has all the potential there for an even richer setting and cast around him but we haven't had the string of writers necessary to really make his world and rogue's gallery pop like it should. Do I think people shouldn't forget Miller's legendary redefining of DD? I do. But I think they shouldn't forget other ideas and characters introduced either, before and after.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:

I don't think Waid insulted Miller, but I noticed a lot of people on this message board were upset by Waid "Stilt-Man was the mastermind" joke. I think that is an over reaction.

I would agree on fans and writers seeming to insist that only the Miller era villains are the ones worth using, Bullseye an Kingpin return a million times, but other potentially interesting villains are left to the wayside. Though frankly a lot of comics are guilty of over using their A-list villains, Joker, Luthor, Dr. Doom and Magneto will appear over and over again and other potentially interesting villains will never get used in any sort of interesting ways. I think trying to expanding DD's rogues gallery, either revamping or simply using old DD villains (there some good Silver Age and Nocenti villains who could be used) or introducing new villains and keep on using them (we will see if any of the Waid or Soule villains will be used by future writers) rather using just Bullseye, the Hand and Kingpin over and over again. I like those villains, but a good rogues gallery needs a diverse field of villains.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm old enough to remember Ann Nocenti start on the book virtually straight after Millers 'Born Again' and (especially when she picked up speed and a regular art team) going on to produce an amazing run of issues.

She must have been on the book, what, about four to five years? Completely different from Miller. Disrespectful? Whatever. I call it 'doing your own thing', telling good stories with strong characterisation, and being original.

Too many people have come along since and played around in the sandbox that Miller built and just produced second rate Miller. I include the likes of Bendis in that, although I enjoyed most (not all) of that era. Some of this 'repetition' would have come from directives from on high at Marvel while some of it comes from the fact that the writers themselves either haven't got an original idea in their head or are too 'in awe' of the seminal work produced by Miller. Neither applied to Nocenti.

It's amazing how comic books as a whole are still in thrall to the work of Alan Moore and Frank Miller from the 1980's. It was so good it was said (at the time) it would usher in a new dawn for the graphic medium. Instead, probably to the dismay of both Miller and Moore, it just saw pale imitations of their own work. Daredevil (Nocenti and one or two other notable exceptions aside) is a prime example of this.

So, in answer to the original question. How much should Miller inform DD? Not one bit. Nocenti and Waid have that at least in common, even if one, in my opinion, was very successful while the other, more recently, ultimately left a lot to be desired.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
It's amazing how comic books as a whole are still in thrall to the work of Alan Moore and Frank Miller from the 1980's. It was so good it was said (at the time) it would usher in a new dawn for the graphic medium. Instead, probably to the dismay of both Miller and Moore, it just saw pale imitations of their own work.

I can understand why the world of comics is still in those two's thrall, to a point. It's like how the art world is still in thrall with Michealangelo and Picasso and the other greats. The theatre world is still in the thrall of Shakespeare and Tennessee Williams. That won't ever change. Students of such works will always be able to find new lessons to mine. Moore and Miller were (and are) such revolutionary figures in the medium, the same will forever be true about them, long after they're gone.

My problem, like others on this thread, is with creators who misunderstand the lessons from their work, or just ape it without adding anything new. The only thing new that Bendis brought to the world of Daredevil (in my opinion) is decompression. Otherwise, I felt he established a tone of neverending noir, and those who defend Bendis say that's a tone established by Miller, who used it as just one colour in his palette. Issues like "Paper Chase" and "Guts" have noir elements, but also slapstick and verbal comedy. Bendis stories like "Underboss" and "Lowlife" just have noir. (I'll always be angry at Bendis because one of the things he learned from Miller's run was that Matt is "an asshole." Bendis sucks. That's all my Bendis-bashing for today, as far as you know.)

At least Waid used a varied tonal palette like Miller did. I just wish Volume 4 was as strong as Volume 3 was, and I wish he had dealt with Matt's personal issues -- the ones he kept alluding to throughout his run -- before he took off.

So my position is this: If you wish Daredevil creators would move on from what Miller established, keep wishing. It ain't gonna happen. He is just too titanic a figure in this medium, and even more so in this character's history. To me it's beyond argument that while Stan Lee created Daredevil, Frank Miller defined him. But here's hoping that future creative teams can look at what Miller did and identify why it's great, and use those elements in their own way while adding new ones.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miller's legacy defines the character yet the character shouldn't be limited to just that legacy.

For a static comic character like DD, in order to remain vibrant and fresh, the character's boundaries need to be pushed and expanded periodically. New avenues and genres to explore, villains and supporting cast to introduce. Some of these may stick, some may not.

Miller's legacy, perhaps even better, his redefinition of DD can now be seen as the character's normal status quo. When the experimental changes, whatever form they may take, have run their course, the title and character can be reset nominally back to Miller's version of him.

New ideas and characters are necessary for aping what has come before in hopes of achieving the same level of success is a self-defeating goal and doesn't serve the readers at all let alone the character himself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: