Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Luke Cage S1E2-S1E6 Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Luke Cage S1E2-S1E6 Discussion Reply with quote

Please use this thread to discuss anything that happened in episodes 2-6, nothing after.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode Two:

I meant to say this last time, but it's more appropriate here. They're really not shying away from the N-Word and I'm glad for that. I think it's very appropriate for this story and it's used effectively in the bookending scenes.

Some of the cultural things are hard for me to understand. I understood Shaft, but what was the other one? Kenyatta? Likewise, Pop's swear - "Gave you some..." I couldn't quite make out.

The scene with Chico showing up was great. You could cut the tension with a knife. I loved Turk this episode ("I'm going back to Hell's Kitchen where it's safe"). He was great. Ironically, he had a bit of old school Luke Cage with "I just want my money," although without the moral compass.

I love the Reform story with Pops. The point is that people who are young can change. So far the most sympathetic story to offenders and the cycle of recidivism is Ant-Man, so I'm glad to see this story address that. Unforately, I didn't think Pops would make it out of the season alive. I didn't expect it to be this early though. I'm glad that Cottonmouth Stokes didn't actually want to cross that line. I also find Mariah to be pretty sympathetic.

Random notes: Misty Knight played Basketball at Temple. I mentioned I was a Basketball nerd. To add to that, I'm from Philly, so I hope they make it canon in the comics that she went there. I think this episode established that her partner is Scarfe, who I know pretty much only from Blood on the Streets. He seems fine here, but a bit uptight. I like that Cottonmouth has nothing to do with snakes. It's an interesting change of pace and helps with Diamondback. I also like Mariah. She seems pretty sympathetic even if she's also pretty shady. I'd love to see her explored some more.

Overall, I'm going Five Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to make this more vague for this. I'll say the show very much is in halves and the breaking point here is appropriate for the season. Four a Half Stars for the first half.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished watching episode 6 a couple of nights ago. I think it's well-made and beautifully acted. I'm just surprised that the plot seems to be a standard turf war. I'm not worried for Luke. I don't feel like there's anyone who can take him on. Sure, I'm worried for the people around him, but I think I would like the show more if he was up against someone who could match him in power. But I think it's good. 3.5 out of 5 after six episodes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: