Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Silver Age Elements that can work after Miller's run

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Silver Age Elements that can work after Miller's run Reply with quote

I have talked about silly elements from the Silver Age in the past, but what elements from the Silver Age can work in post Miller Daredevil title?

Most of the supporting cast from the Silver Age supporting cast like Karen and Foggy still work, obviously, sure they were used better after the Silver Age by other writers, but still I think they count, because I think a lot of Silver Age elements need to be revamped or expanded to work in a post Miller DD title.

I also think half of DD's Silver Age rogues gallery can easily fit in a noir DD title, with a little revamping. Sure guys like Stilt-Man, Matador and Leap-Frog are not the best fit, but there other Silver Age villains Bendis revamped Purple Man, not only making him a more sinister character, but also the basis for one of the best villains in the MCU. Owl is a character that gets a lot of use after the Silver Age and got a revamp after the Last Rites story, that more or less stuck, but I don't think he has really been used to his full potential since then.

Mr. Fear has been used to good effect in the late 90s and late 2000s, but I really think he should show up more often, DD really needs to settle things with him.

I'm not sure if Mr. Hyde is still considered a DD villain, he seems to appear everywhere they need some generic muscle bound villain for a hero to beat up. Hyde started off as a Thor villain and then seemed to divide his time between being a DD or Cap villain, occasionally bothering the likes of Spidey, Hulk and Ghost Rider. When you think about, Hyde is a villain who should be scary and is written like that sometimes and other times is written like a joke. DD and USAgent have defeated him with little effort in the past and I think that is not giving the character is due. Hyde once murdered a guy and branded the corpse with his name, he tried to blow up NYC to kill one guy, he kidnapped and experimented on a bunch of homeless people to recreate the accident that gave Spidey his powers and nearly beat Jarvis to death. If this guy becomes a DD villain, he should always be treated as a real threat, if you want some jokey muscle bound villain for DD to beat up, there is always Man-Bull.

I think you can even take a character that really didn't work, like the Masked Marauder, maybe put someone new under the mask. Maybe you can even have a mystery story, where Matt's senses don't tell him who the new MM is right away and Matt has to use intellect to work it out.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a lot of the attempted crime bosses (Masked Marauder, The Organizer) had a lot of potential that didn't really pan out. On the other hand, they were underwhelming and ultimately were concluded pretty solidly in a way I'm not sure I want them back.

I should go make a list of all the villains and post it for ease of comparison.

ETA: Here's the list best I can tell:

1 - Fixer
2 - Electro
3 - The Owl
4 - Purple Man
5 - Masked Marauder
6 - Mr. Fear
7 - Sub-Mariner
8 - Stiltman
9 - Klaus Kruger
10-11 - The Organizer/Ani-Men
12-14 - The Plunderer
15 - The Ox
16-17 - Masked Marauder
18 - Gladiator
19 - Gladiator & Masked Marauder
20-21 - The Owl
22-23 - Gladiator & Masked Marauder
24 - The Plunderer
25 - The Leap Frog
26 - Stiltman
27 - The Masked Marauder
28 - Queega
29 - Masked Marauder's Gang
30-32 - Mr. Hyde & Cobra
33-34 - Beetle
35-38 - Trapster/Dr. Doom
39-41 - Exterminator/Unholy Three
42-46 - The Jester
47 - Biggie Benson
48 - Stiltman
49-55 - Starr Saxon
56-57 - The Death's Head
58 - Stunt-Master
59-60 - Crime-Wave
61 - Mr. Hyde & Cobra
62 - Nighthawk
63 - Gladiator
64 - Stunt-Master (sorta/Mr. Ellis)
65-66 - Brother Brimstone
67 - Stiltman
68 - Phoenix/Kragg
69 - Thunderbolts
70-71 - Tribune
72 - Quothar
73 - Spymaster/Zodiac
74 - Committee
75-76 - El Condor
77 - Wacky Misunderstandings
78-79 - Man-Bull
80-84 - The Owl/Mr. Klein
85 - The Gladiator
86 - The Ox
87 - Electro
88-89 - Purple Man/Electro
90-91 - Mr. Fear
92 - Blue Talon
93-94 - Indestructible Man
95-96 - Man-Bull
97-98 - Dark Messiah/Disciples of Doom
99 - Hawkeye/Love

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add to my list above that I just read Daredevil 100. I actually though Angar the Screamer was an interesting villain. He became a generic everyone villain, but I think he could be used effectively as a threat. He just kind of needs a bit more motivation (although the hippy thing was something, I suppose).

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
I should add to my list above that I just read Daredevil 100. I actually though Angar the Screamer was an interesting villain. He became a generic everyone villain, but I think he could be used effectively as a threat. He just kind of needs a bit more motivation (although the hippy thing was something, I suppose).

I think he died back in the 90s. If he were still alive, he could have been modernized as a more modern left wing activist. I am not sure if Matt has ever had to deal with someone who can point out the legitimate flaws within the legal system (like African Americans over representing the prison population) and I do think dealing with a antagonist like that would be more interesting then another assassin with a gimmick.

But of that list, I think some of those villains

I think of the old Silver Age villains, some of those guys easily fit in with a modern DD comic.

The Tribune is kinda interesting, he could be a far right vigilante who thinks minorities are guilty of crimes, regardless of the evidence, just give him a more creepy costume and you are set. Some of these guys can be more topical now then in the 60s.

I even think a loser like Trapster could be menacing, if he become a street level villain, stopped trying to pick fights with a team that fights cosmic gods all the time and focused on traps rather then being an idiot with a glue gun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: