Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Which DD run focuses the most on detective/investigation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatout111
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Which DD run focuses the most on detective/investigation? Reply with quote

Longtime fan of the Daredevil character...love the Cox version, as well as the Director's Cut of the film...but still rather new to the comics actually. I've always been a fan of the guy with the cowl but honestly I'm tired of the bat, somewhat. The whole costumed family thing just wears on me. Daredevil has always intrigued me more. I've read sporadic issues but never got serious about Daredevil runs like I am now.

I like realism and almost procedurals with investigation and detective work. I also like dark stories rather than the more light hearted. So with that being said can you guys recommend some stuff? Obviously, Miller's is essential but what runs do you guys think focus most on Daredevil's investigation/detective aspect?

For reference of past works I have read, I picked up Guardian Devil as a superb audio book by Graphic Audio and really enjoyed it. Also, got The Man Without Fear as an audio drama. Enjoying both and they are on the list to get in TPB as well as Yellow. Lastly, since I enjoy audio drama stuff and there is a Daredevil video comic series on Youtube starting with Brubaker's Cruel and Unusual story line. I enjoyed that a lot. I don't like fantastical stuff so like it more of a crime drama I would say.

Thanks for your help, guys.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, Daredevil isn't Batman, so I don't think of him as a detective. Now he certainly investigates things - either as a crime fighter or as a lawyer (or both), but it's hard to point to explicit detective stories.

The stories that immediately come to mind are Ed Brubaker's run - particularly the second arc (the one in Europe). I usually recommend you read Bendis's run before Brubaker's, though, and then start with The Devil in Cell Block D. That being said, I think that fits what you're looking for pretty well.

As always, start with Frank Miller's original run to get a good grounding for the character before you expand to other runs that might shake things up (this includes Born Again).

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
flatout111
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the reply. Yeah I realize Daredevil isn't Batman and not a detective per se but I think you get what I am looking for. More of a crime drama like the Netflix show. I loved Guardian Devil and also the Cruel and Unusual story line. So I'll start with Miller then Bendis then Brubaker .

Thanks.
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Redemption TPB comes to mind as well, for me. I thought that was pretty darn good. a lot more of a drama story and noir, than a super hero story
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: