Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil Spinoff Books Coming
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Daredevil Spinoff Books Coming Reply with quote

This is being posted all over the internet, although it doesn't appear to have been officially announced.

It looks like Daredevil will be continuing (rather than relaunched, yay!). In addition, there will be two new spinoff books. No, Blindspot is not getting his own solo series. Instead, it looks like we're getting:

Bullseye by Ed Brisson and Guillermo Sanna and
Kingpin by Matthew Rosenberg and Ben Torres.

Thoughts on these books? Do you think you will get these regularly or wait and see how they do? Frankly, I think Kingpin is a no-brainer, but Bullseye is a bit on the unexpected side. That unexpectedness is a plus, although I'm not sure how it'll work out.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero interest in either of these.

Bullseye should have been retired for at least a few years after Waid gave us that perfect sendoff for the character. But nope, Marvel could let him lay and suffer very long and now his own series? Lester is like salt. A pinch here or there adds flavor, but even slightly too much ruins the meal. I hope the Netflix people understand that whenever they get to him also. I don't want or need the whole eventual season to be Bullseye: Year One the way they did Kingpin and Punisher.

A Kingpin book could be interesting, but honestly (and this goes for Bullseye too) I have no interest in the character outside of how he relates to Daredevil.

If they're good and others enjoy them though, go Marvel and happy reading.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
Zero interest in either of these.

Bullseye should have been retired for at least a few years after Waid gave us that perfect sendoff for the character. But nope, Marvel could let him lay and suffer very long and now his own series? Lester is like salt. A pinch here or there adds flavor, but even slightly too much ruins the meal. I hope the Netflix people understand that whenever they get to him also. I don't want or need the whole eventual season to be Bullseye: Year One the way they did Kingpin and Punisher.

A Kingpin book could be interesting, but honestly (and this goes for Bullseye too) I have no interest in the character outside of how he relates to Daredevil.

If they're good and others enjoy them though, go Marvel and happy reading.

Yeah, Kingpin I could see, but Bullseye is a pure evil psychopath with no redeeming characteristics, you really can't have many arcs where he is the protagonist, there is no reason to root for him or care whether he succeeds and if he fails all the time, what kind of protagonist is that? DC gave Joker his own series back in the 70s and that was cancelled quickly, because its hard to care about Joker as a protagonist.

I think maybe one story focused around Bullseye could be interesting, they did do a mini series about Red Skull (who like Bullseye is pure evil, with no redeeming values) and I thought it was interesting, but heck even Red Skull has more to him then Bullseye as a character, its easy to give Red Skull a character arc where he becomes the monster he know today, due to growing up in post WW1 Germany, but with Bullseye there is no character arc with him, unless they give him a back story or something. Evil monster villains like Red Skull and Bullseye are fun to read about, because its exciting to see the heroes defeat these vile characters, but they don't work as ongoing protagonists, they don't have enough dimensions.

Kingpin actually fought Red Skull in a Captain America story back in the 90s and after a long, drawn out game of wits, Kingpin beat him a physical fight. But the ending was a forgone conclusion, Kingpin was going to win, because no one wants Red Skull to win, that is Bullseye problem, you can't really write him as a protagonist because he is so unsmypathetic.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Kingpin Civil War tie-in that came out last week. I don't know if I'd want to read an ongoing, but a mini? Sure.
thennings
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know if these are ongoing or mini series?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't been announced as a mini-series, which means they're ongoing until they're not. I wouldn't expect a lengthy run regardless unless they sell a surprising amount.

Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't spoiler code here, can we?

SPOILERS FOR CIVIL WAR II

I'll keep this vague, but it appears there will be a tie-in that heavily features Daredevil. Is anyone reading Civil War II (I'm guessing no)? Are you going to get this one (I'm guessing no)?

Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am and yes, he's got a big part in today's issue. The thing is, it's less "This is a job for Matt Murdock" and more "An Avenger is on trial and who in the Marvel Universe can handle the prosecution's case?" (Disregards Matt's being stuck working ECAB in his own book, though. And, while I'm not a lawyer, I'm not 100% sold on the trial being in NY.)

Last edited by Dragonbat on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legal aspects make absolutely no sense.

It's in Federal Court (Matt is a state prosecutor). He even refers to his side as "the state" as opposed to "the government" like the Feds do. This is even more wrong since prosecutors in New York refer to themselves as "the People."

The events took place in Utah. Article III of the Constitution says a trial has to take place in the state in which it occurs and the 6th Amendment says the district the jury draws from is to be established by Congress in advance (in practice, this means you get a local jury from the same location as where the crime took place). There are exceptions for things like piracy and terrorism that occurs somewhere besides US soil, though. Maybe there's a special Superhero jurisdiction, I don't know.

I won't spoil who is on trial, but that person should not be wearing a prison jumpsuit in front of a jury. That's grounds for a mistrial.

I still think this will be an interesting role for Matt, though, so I kind of want to check it out. Maybe I'll wait for the previews.

Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. When the non-lawyer who just bothers her lawyer friends when she needs to get her facts straight for writing fanfic notices something in a courtroom scene that strikes her as off, odds are that she's only spotting the tip of the iceberg and there's a lot more wrong she missed!

Thanks for straightening the record!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIVIL WAR II STUFF (vague spoilers)

I like that there appears to be a gap between the events and the trial so they didn't make the mistake of the Netflix show of having a murder trial occur a week after arrest. So that's something, at least.

BACK TO MARVEL NOW

I thought it was interesting the three tags for Daredevil, Kingpin, and Bullseye:
Man Without Faith
Man Without Flaw
Man Without Hope

The last one is interesting because it makes me wonder what the take on Bullseye will be.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know how you would write ongoing series about Bullseye when he is just an evil psychopathic murderer with no redeeming qualities, not many

Kingpin I can see maintaining an ongoing series over time, he has some redeeming qualities and as long as he isn't doing something too evil (like what he did in Man Without Fear) he can be a likable, but still menacing villain and there have been several entertaining movies and TV shows that feature gangsters as protagonists.

The only thing I can think that could be interesting with a Bullseye series is having him interact with characters he normally wouldn't.

It could fun to see him interact with other villains on a social level, taking jobs from someone like Owl, who seems almost as psycho as Bullseye these days or competing with other assassins like Bushwacker.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingpin is an obvious choice for Marvel considering his Netflix popularity.

I expect Daredevil season three will be announced soon and a certain bit of casting soon after that just might explain the other book... Laughing
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually funny to hear about the legal inconsistencies. I remember reading about how much research Bendis did to write his "Trial of the White Tiger" arc. I guess he hasn't maintained that knowledge.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one was actually quite good, which makes this all the more frustrating.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: