Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #14 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #14?
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #14 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #14 by Soule, Garney and Milla ships December 14th and here is a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-014

Please use thread for all discussion on the issue when it ships next week!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Muse.

At least I think I might. It's hard for me to tell. What I know for sure is that this is a villain with enormous potential. He is so creepy, and he has such a unique angle. His dialogue is priceless. He's talking about his first kill -- pardon me -- work of art.
Quote:
It was a woman,, just someone I picked up. I made her into something... abstract. Told myself I shouldn't. That it was wrong. But it didn't feel wrong. The truth is, kid, when I'm creating, when I'm making, I'm strong. I am right. But people don't really understand what I do. They object to my preferred medium, if you get my meaning. I only have so much time to work before someone manages to stop me. I need to use every moment. So yes, Blindspot, I have to do this. If I don't, who will?

The crazy thing is, I kind of understand him. I understand the artistic process. When I'm taking on a big writing project, I kind of get into my own bubble. When I come up with something great, I feel amazing! When people don't understand what I'm trying to say, I get somewhat defensive. So, as creepy and twisted as he is, I feel a connection to Muse. He is a truly inspired villain. He's certainly the best one to come along in the pages of Daredevil for a long, long time.

I would say that the first three quarters of this issue are very strong. Daredevil's tracking down of Muse is expertly played out against the villain's scenes with Blindspot. His garret is very disturbing. I was truly shocked by what Muse did to Sam. This is going to have a lasting impact. The two dialogue-free pages of Daredevil and Muse in the hallway were beautifully done by Ron Garney and Matt Milla, along with the double-page spread of what Daredevil finds.

I have some questions about this battle between Daredevil and Muse.

1. I know Muse reads like a vortex to Daredevil. Does that mean he can't read his heartrate? Is that why he was caught by surprise by what Muse did to Blindspot while he stood just feet away?

2. Those people were hanging upside-down, yet they were still alive. Muse cut the rope that kept them suspended, and a few hit the ground. Instead of running after Muse, Daredevil used his billy club cable to keep those still suspended... suspended. Would that be better than hitting the ground? Why was he concerned with doing that? It didn't seem like the fall would have been any more fatal than their slow drain of blood.

The ending sucks. This was an incredible let down. Soule has a bad track record for ending his Daredevil stories. None of them have been satisfying.

You kind of expect that the hero -- Daredevil -- is going to catch the villain. Nope. How could Soule have thought this would have been a satisfactory resolution? This issue was going at a great clip, and then it just whimpers to a stop.

This was a real shame, because I was really enjoying this issue until we got to the rooftop. That crappy ending is forcing me to knock down the grade. I give this issue a 3.

Muse will no doubt be back. I don't know if it will be in the pages of Daredevil or not. It seems he could be an interesting adversary to many Marvel heroes, but I'm looking forward to his return.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I'm fine with the issue. It's deliberately bittersweet. Yes, it would be nice for Daredevil to be heroic, but Muse has beaten him at every step. Daredevil got to save lives (at a cost) and is the reason that Muse was stopped, but he didn't get to win a triumphant victory either. To me, that's very fitting for Daredevil.

I loved this issue. The synthesis of art and writing was wonderful. In particular, there's a two page spread of little panels that just stands out. Muse was absolutely creepy and his actions genuinely shocking and terrifying. I love how he uses the language of art to describe his actions as a serial killer. He's unhinged, but felt shockingly authentic. He's a character I would love to see again.

I wish Christine from The Other Murdock Papers still reviewed issues. She would hate Matt's uses of his senses here at the beginning of the issue. As it stands, it's an interesting idea, but it takes the broadest possible interpretation of his hearing powers (to the point the laws of physics may not agree with). It also doesn't exactly make sense. After all, Muse can talk and can be heard, so he's not a complete sensory blackhole.

I'm happy with Blindspot's arc here. If this is the end, it's a sad end, but a worthwhile one. I know people don't like the character, but I thought he had a good story and, even from a Daredevil perspective, I thought it worked well. It's a rare time that Daredevil has been a mentor to someone. And, when he is, he does a terrible job. In the non-superheroic contexts, there was the blind kid from Ann Nocenti's run that stands out. It's sad to realize that, maybe, he's not even as good a mentor as Stick and Stick is a terrible human being.

This issue is getting Five Stars for me. It's a highlight of Soule's run.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil #14 is the last issue in the "Dark Art" storyline and it goes out on an appropriately black note, with DD's young protege Blindspot paying a terrible price for the lives he's saved. One suspects--indeed, hopes--the story of Muse, the homicidal artist and villain of the piece, is just beginning. His last moment offers a good twist, played well.

This has been writer Charles Soule's best work on this title since assuming command of it over a year ago. As in, by FAR his best. This is still basically DD being written as an adventure-of-the-month title, which has been one of my standing criticisms of Soule's run, but this is a really, really good adventure. I hate to see it end and I'm actually doubtful about this run's future now that it has.

I've speculated that this run may have been originally scheduled to take place after the Tenfingers storyline that launched this particular DD volume. Having read this one, I'm now entirely convinced that's the case and that the unfocused, somewhat half-assed issues that fell between those storylines were originally meant to run after "Dark Art." Ron Garney was the artist on Tenfingers and "Dark Art," while those issue in between had different artists. Those in-between issues also dealt, peripherally, with matters related to how DD managed to bottle up his secret identity; the Elektra story had an unknown villain striking at Matt by manipulating Elektra's memory loss, while the Spider-Man team-up issues seemed to be ready to reveal what happened. Then that thread was just abandoned. Marvel has already announced the next DD story will pick up that thread and address that question--how and why Matt made everyone forget. This last issue of "Dark Art" also revealed what became of Tenfingers. This is definitely a direct sequel to that first storyline, those disappointing in-between issues plotted after it. So they're probably an indication of where the title is going, which ain't in the direction of "Dark Art."

This next storyline is pretty much guaranteed to disappoint, even if not preceded by those others. No matter how Soule reveals Matt restored his secret identity, it's going to be a dramatic fail. No matter how adroitly one manages it, it's still just going to be some big Reset button. I only hope he doesn't belabor it.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't make sense to go with complete and total assumptions and then draw negative conclusions from those assumptions.

For example, it's obvious, regardless of when this story was intended to take place (I would argue its place in time is perfectly logical since they wanted to space out things from Tenfingers and give us more time to know Blindspot), those stories were written before this story was written. Obviously, Blindspot wouldn't have been involved if they just switched the order. I'd also argue the quality has been steadily improving. I really enjoyed the ending to Blind Man's Bluff, for example.

I have no idea what the quality of the next story will be, but I don't think anyone who hasn't read it does either.

Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Really? Nobody is seeing the awful possibility of this so called good writer creating a Daredevil of his own, after this "dramatic" issue?
thomam
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Dexter Reply with quote

Anyone seen Dexter season 6 with the doomsday killers? Did this storyline kind of remind you of that?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the ending unsatisfactory. Muse turned out to be yet another villain-Sue. 3 stars.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
I found the ending unsatisfactory. Muse turned out to be yet another villain-Sue. 3 stars.

I agree that the ending is unsatisfactory, however I think Muse is the furthest thing from "yet another villain." I hope Muse strikes again soon, even if it isn't Daredevil.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he's saying he's yet another villain, he was definitely making a Mary-Sue reference (which is a problematic term in itself).

Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. The villain takes more spotlight than the hero, even as the story needed a resolution. We get it, Soule. Muse is a super cool artsy-fartsy type. But as the story ends, Daredevil is the hero and he has to take him out in a way that is satisfactory to the reader. Hearing him prattling about art as he gets taken away by an army of inhuman cops is not that.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not remotely a Mary Sue nor really a charitable description of what happened, which is he was captured fairly easily but is so unhinged that it didn't seem to matter to him.

I'm not sure he took more of a spotlight than Daredevil, just a different one. This was a personal story for Daredevil as a mentor (and, more importantly, as a failed mentor). The ending was about this failure and how he was unable to get any closure from it.

Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it sucked.

Also not interested in arguing what is or isn't a villain sue.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then maybe it's best not to use such a problematic term in the first place.

Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, send me a list of "the terms Mike Murdock the forumgoer finds problematic", and I'll see if I can give a sh*t about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: