Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #21 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #21?
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #21 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #21 by Soule, Sudzuka and Milla ships June 7th and here is a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-021

Please use this thread for all discussion next week!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is clearly leading up to something.

Matt keeps emphasizing that everything... "keeping my secret identity, coming to the D.A.'s office, losing Kirsten, losing Foggy... all of it.. was about this moment."

Similarly, Charles Soule has been laying the groundwork for this story for a while. You can trace this story's roots back to when Daredevil and Spider-Man did that raid in Macau twelve issues ago.

In any event, that immediately gives me high hopes for this story. We don't have the particulars of Matt's plan. It's kind of odd that this story is coming out at the same time as Secret Empire, which sees Captain America heading a military junta across the United States. But even if I'm enjoying Secret Empire (which I am), I like it when Daredevil is allowed to ignore company-wide crossover events. However, somewhat ironically, I don't see how you can completely end crime in New York without imposing martial law.

I'm glad to see Goran Sudzuka on art. I think he's my favourite artist to come out of Volume 5.

I also think the story is smart. Because of Soule's legal background, he's aware of complications of which other writers wouldn't be aware. So it's smart how Echo was utilized.

However, as thrilling as it is to see Matt and Luke working together for those of us anticipating Defenders, Luke's presence here lowers the sense of danger we feel for Matt and Maya.

Also, I have to reiterate a criticism from last issue. Soule didn't show us Foggy getting angry at Matt. Seriously, is Foggy freezing Matt out because Matt told him who he was, and Foggy feels endangered? Foggy and Matt have been best friends for decades. We're supposed to believe Foggy won't listen? I guess so, since, as stated above, we're told Matt has lost Foggy. I don't buy it.

The last page sees Matt dressed in his classic red costume, and that's great to see. However, we weren't really told why he's been dressed in black all this time. I have my theories, but is Soule going to tell us why?

If Matt has to blow his secret identity again, that is going to be awful. He just got the genie back in the bottle after so many years. I wish the secret identity being threatened wasn't a device that was being used for this story.

I would like to see Matt and Maya have a chance at a romance. I've liked her ever since her first appearance. However, it's my understanding she was killed in Secret Invasion. Is that true? Do we know how she came back to life?

Anyway, it's definitely got me excited for the next issue. I'll give it a four out of five.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ My memory is she was actually killed in Bendis's Moon Knight and she came back to life due to the power of "I want to use her in an Annual." I can't recall it being explained in that Annual. Frankly, while I suppose it's useful to know these things, it was a mistake to kill her off (particularly in a non-Daredevil book nobody read) and I'd rather Soule not waste time (in his already not overly dense stories) to have to explain that if it requires detail. She got better.

Spoiler alert:

This issue definitely feels like the playoff for a very long game Soule has been playing.The fact that it references stuff going back to the Hong Kong story arc is key. Little things are building up to a big moment. It starts off pretty simple, though, with a fight against Ammo and his crew. I enjoy it for the most part, but I didn't love DD motion capturing Echo's moves. I feel Echo is a competent fighter who could have done it on her own.

I like the twist that they were just a distraction. I like how Matt followed his nose to solve the problem. Most of all, I like that Soule is starting to slip in the actual law. In this case, the use of covert informants and defense motions to reveal their identity (something I need to do a better job looking at when it's actually required and when it isn't). Of course, that's all leading up to the ending with Daredevil testifying in his old outfit!

Stray Thoughts:
The Radar Sense is different than how it was in the first few issues of this book. It's much more traditional, with the concentric circles and all. That's probably for the best.

Ammo now has thematically appropriate friends? He also looks older. IIRC, he was a skinny dude. Now he's kind of buff.

Glad to see someone remembered that Echo can't hear you if she can't read your lips. Frankly, I think I added a half point based on that alone.

Good start to this story. I'm going Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed this action-packed start to the arc. Soule’s been setting this up from the beginning of his run with Matt’s job as a prosecutor, so I really like that Soule’s build is dovetailing with Matt kicking off his plan. It’s also nice to see him spend some time with his boss.

Dimetre wrote:
We don't have the particulars of Matt's plan. It's kind of odd that this story is coming out at the same time as Secret Empire, which sees Captain America heading a military junta across the United States. But even if I'm enjoying Secret Empire (which I am), I like it when Daredevil is allowed to ignore company-wide crossover events. However, somewhat ironically, I don't see how you can completely end crime in New York without imposing martial law.

It seems to be an unrealistic goal, so I thought it was extremely funny that Matt tells Ammo later, “I’m all for ambition, but at a certain point it crosses the line into delusion.” What exactly is this plan of yours, Matt?

Dimetre wrote:
I'm glad to see Goran Sudzuka on art. I think he's my favourite artist to come out of Volume 5.

He’s very talented, and Milla’s amazing color work has also been extremely consistent; the page with the garbage truck explosion really pops between the different yellows and blues. I think everyone on this volume so far has done a fantastic job individually with their own work while collectively maintaining a neon neo-noir atmosphere for the run. It’s not jarring when we swap from artist to artist, which I really appreciate since it helps me with immersion.

Dimetre wrote:
However, as thrilling as it is to see Matt and Luke working together for those of us anticipating Defenders, Luke's presence here lowers the sense of danger we feel for Matt and Maya.

I agree that Luke wasn’t necessary for this story, but at least he fit well within it with how he interacted with both Matt and Maya and had an amusing line about Steeljacket.

Dimetre wrote:
Also, I have to reiterate a criticism from last issue. Soule didn't show us Foggy getting angry at Matt. Seriously, is Foggy freezing Matt out because Matt told him who he was, and Foggy feels endangered? Foggy and Matt have been best friends for decades. We're supposed to believe Foggy won't listen? I guess so, since, as stated above, we're told Matt has lost Foggy. I don't buy it.

I don’t either because Foggy’s still helped Matt with that cell phone and meets up with him for coffee. I don’t mind waiting a bit more for it, but we do need more clarification on exactly why Foggy is mad at this point. I understand that rediscovering your best friend is a superhero after you have recovered from cancer might be slightly frustrating, but is that what he’s angry about? Or did he think that once he got better he’d be back working with Matt only to have Matt taking another job ruin that idea? Both? Is there something else we don’t know?

Dimetre wrote:
If Matt has to blow his secret identity again, that is going to be awful. He just got the genie back in the bottle after so many years.

Well, I hope not for exactly the reason you mention.

Dimetre wrote:
I would like to see Matt and Maya have a chance at a romance. I've liked her ever since her first appearance. However, it's my understanding she was killed in Secret Invasion. Is that true? Do we know how she came back to life?

Mike Murdock wrote:
^ My memory is she was actually killed in Bendis's Moon Knight and she came back to life due to the power of "I want to use her in an Annual." I can't recall it being explained in that Annual. Frankly, while I suppose it's useful to know these things, it was a mistake to kill her off (particularly in a non-Daredevil book nobody read) and I'd rather Soule not waste time (in his already not overly dense stories) to have to explain that if it requires detail. She got better.

I would think the mysterious circumstances of her resurrection mentioned in the annual summary would mean Secret Wars. There’s quite a few characters who are back from the dead and/or swapped universes. I’m glad she’s back as I think she’s a great character with a unique ability.

Mike Murdock wrote:
I enjoy it for the most part, but I didn't love DD motion capturing Echo's moves. I feel Echo is a competent fighter who could have done it on her own.

I agree, but that doesn’t really show off Echo’s superpower well. Perhaps more enemies or one only Daredevil could fight effectively could have worked better.

Mike Murdock wrote:
The Radar Sense is different than how it was in the first few issues of this book. It's much more traditional, with the concentric circles and all. That's probably for the best.

There’s a stylistic difference between Sudzuka and Garney. Sudzuka does the concentric circles while Garney does the infrared images.
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a horrible mistake to have Matt reveal his identity again. My guess is that this is some kind gambit by Matt. There is somebody else in the suit or something. I am curious to see where this build up is going.

Other than the hints about Matt's overarching plan, the rest is just standard action stuff. Not bad but nothing that we haven't seen a thousand times before. It's cool to see Echo again. I'm not sure about her combat skills used here though. Having her mime Matt's actions is pretty unnecessary. She has fought several skilled fighters, including Matt himself, to a standstill, and was even on the Avengers once. I'm pretty sure she could have beaten the piss out of those thugs without Matt having to guide her like a puppet. So it was a clever use of her skills but the only real purpose it served was a token demonstration of her powers, probably to fill in new readers.

Also, Ammo is a very bizarre choice of villain for this story. He was just a one off character from Nocenti's run that only made a couple minor appearances and hasn't been seen since.

Overall this issue was decent. It had some oddities but nothing bad. Pretty standard action stuff leading to a bigger storyline.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not worried that his identity will become public again. Let's face it. While they might be able to come up with an in-story reason for why Matt wants his secret identity to be secret again, the real world reason is they want it to be secret again.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone asked Charles Soule on Twitter about Luke Cage and Echo not knowing each other, since they have met in the past in NEW AVENGERS... his answer was "Secret Wars".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: