Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

This comic arrived in the mail today!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of, although there are two different collections of Miller's work.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: This comic arrived in the mail today! Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
This is Daredevil #341. What's special about it? Absolutely nothing. I don't even have a clue what the plot is or who wrote it. However, it happens to be the last issue to collect every issue in Volume One of Daredevil!

Congratulations, Mike! Well done.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, quite a collection there.

I've got all the single issues of Vol 1 and am happily collecting any relevant Omnibus and Masterworks collections of 'Ye Olde DD' stuff. Lovely reproduction in these editions, and for one brief moment I was actually toying with the idea of selling off my individual issues.

Right now...just can't bring myself to do it. Yes, they're printed on cheap paper and one or two look a bit worse for wear. Yes they're full of advertisements for cheap products I'd never want. But...as someone said earlier, as part of a generation of readers brought up on single issues ( I well remember the time having to wait two months between DD issues and even then here in the UK distribution was poor and it wasn't a cast iron certainty I'd find any new issue!) ...there's just something about them. Probably a lot to do with nostalgia, the times they're from, the places I bought each issue, etc. They're artefacts from another world almost.

I'll probably end up passing them onto my kids who, who although big fans of some of the Marvel movies, have no real affinity with the character and will probably decide to cash in. That's fine, as the complete collection sold together ought to be worth a few pennies by now.
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the collection! I have been trying to do this for years, have all the single issues back to #171, and a few before that (including #168). Thinking that I will have to do the really expensive ones by collections, but who knows. There is a coin / sports card show in my town, and one of the coin guys always brings a few boxes of comics, and I usually pick one up each month rather cheaply.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic but I said earlier that Daredevil #146 was the first individual issue I bought. I can now say that it's the first issue that I read previously that I know have read while reading all of Daredevil in order. I also read it as part of the Book Club. So this is the third time I've read this story.

Two thoughts come to mind with the benefit of context:

1. Jim Shooter kind of sucks as a writer. In particular, I noticed that he went back to the trope of "I can't be with someone who would just pity me." It's been years since Karen Page and I thought we put that behind us, so it was painful to see it here.

2. I can see why Jim Shooter would be valued as an editor. Marv Wolfman introduced some interesting story ideas (the kidnapping of Debbie, Heather Glenn's father being corrupt, etc.) and then promptly forgot to address them in any way. With Jim Shooter on board, there's a sense of him going "enough of this crap, I'm cleaning this up." This is the first time I felt intentional forward momentum on a plot since maybe Gerry Conway was on the book.

Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to disagree about Shooter. Whilst not having much time for him as a writer per se, his efforts on this particular title, few though they were, remain a real highlight of the issues pre-Miller.

The issues themselves, especially the handful with art by Kane and Janson, almost read like pre-Miller Miller. The title has a gritty 'street-level' feel to it in parts, and his depiction of the likes of Bullseye and Killgrave were easily the best up to that point.

I know that Miller gives Shooter a lot of credit for helping him find his feet with the characters and the book as a whole, not just from the relatively new lofty Editor In Chief role but deeper discussions about his own time on the book and Daredevil / Matt's personality and methods.

I always found #146 to be a fairly solid issue, even if #147 and #148 are much superior.

Wolfman's run on the title was great, but even by his own admission he begins to lose its way quickly following the Jester trilogy. Shooters arrival was much welcome and too short-lived (even if I wouldn't change a single thing about what followed from MacKenzie or Miller.)
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two updates. One, I went ahead and ordered Playing to the Camera to complete my collection (with possible exceptions of Annuals). Second, my readthrough of Daredevil in publication order has reached a milestone. I've re-read issue #158, meaning I've officially reached the Frank Miller era of Daredevil. Also, I read #156, which marks the last pre-Miller issue that I've read for the first time (before I knew where else to get comics, I ordered them off of eBay and one of the 140 issues I bought came with 157 for free). And I have to say, what a terrible issue it is. The best part is it's cover. But it starts a long history of Daredevil fighting other versions of himself - particularly with the yellow uniform.

Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
And I have to say, what a terrible issue it is. The best part is it's cover.

I agree the cover is quite striking and it's unfortunate that #156 itself is a below par issue. it is, however, a move in the right direction from what came immediately before. Colan makes a quick return after the severe jolt of seeing Frank Robbins work on the title in #155.

Robbins himself was a respected comic book artist, and not a particularly bad one at that in my opinion. I remember being familiar with his work through reading UK reprints of Roy Thomas' 'The Invaders' where I thought his style kind of suited the retro-gun-ho WWII heroics of that particular title.

I wasn't prepared for the shock to the system that presented itself with opening #155 which to this day remains, for me, one of the worst issues put out under the banner of the title. His style just did not suit this book and the whole thing just looked a mess, memorable if only for the introduction of Becky Blake. #156 certainly wasn't anything to shout about itself, but at least it saw Colan back on the art.

The real frustrating thing about reading the book then was the bi-monthly schedule. A bad issue or two meant months between anything of real quality or substance.

Still, I've always had a soft spot for #157, and with #158 and beyond...well, the rest is history.

Last edited by Pete on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing against 157. Death Stalker is a very cool villain. I have to imagine it was really cool seeing the transition at the time. I kind of want to buy the original Frank Miller issues for the letters page alone (I want them anyway, but price is a factor). I saw at the bottom of the title page that this book was bi-monthly. I knew it from reports about the book, but it's stark seeing it on the page.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: