Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Defenders #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Defenders #1 Reply with quote

I thought this was a good start to the series. Admittedly, I bought this primarily for the art as David Marquez’s work is beautiful. Clean, detailed, and some great crosshatching. One can see by the difference between how Matt looks in Civil War II and the FCBD Defenders backup that everyone on the team is clearly styled after their Netflix counterpart, but that makes sense for such a blatantly synergistic comic. The movie poster style introduction of each of the four team members was a particular highlight, and Justin Ponsor’s coloring is a nice match. I’m not a big fan of Cory Petit’s lettering as the words look too big, but that’s a trivial issue.

As for the writing, it continues from the FCBD story. This issue centers on Luke and Jessica’s relationship with Diamondback and Black Cat also getting some focus. There’s also a prose interview backup with Luke by Ben Ulrich. I expected this emphasis given Bendis’ and Marquez’s preferences, but as long as Matt gets to actually contribute to the team like he got to in this issue (changing the name on Jessica’s hospital room and using his supersenses) and not just stand around in the background, I’ll continue reading. He’s chattier than I’d prefer, but I suppose it wouldn’t be a Bendis comic without constant dialogue even in the action sequences. Yet I didn’t have a problem with Matt suggesting that they come together. He’s a smart guy, and with Diamondback coming after the four of them, it’d make sense he’d want to form an ad hoc team to get to the bottom of it. I assume more to come on that front.

The two complaints I do have with this issue are extremely minor. First, as great of a visual as it was having Daredevil drop down from the ceiling, am I really supposed to believe he fit up in the small space between the tile and the actual ceiling? Second, Diamondback looks ridiculous even by supervillain standards in the Hawaiian shirt, orange trench coat, and bolero hat. I don’t expect him to wear a snake outfit or something, but it’s undermining him as the serious threat to the team Bendis is presenting him as because he just doesn’t seem scary enough.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for this to hit Unlimited so I can hate read it.

That said, from what I've read there's no useless Bendis mystery (i.e. who is Ronin? Who is the guy in the helmet (X-Men)? what is a Mapone?). Is that possible? Surely he'll introduce one.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mystery is "how is Diamondback not dead."

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
The mystery is "how is Diamondback not dead."

Is that actually a plot out? I.e. is it just ignoring continuity or are we promised an answer?

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're making a big deal about it. It's very much Bendis saying "this is weird even by comic book standards." Particularly since he has abilities he didn't have the first time around.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: