Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's The Defenders S1E1-E8 Discussion *SPOILERS*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Marvel's The Defenders S1E1-E8 Discussion *SPOILERS* Reply with quote

Marvel's The Defenders arrives on Netflix as 12AM PT on August 18th. Please use this thread for all discussion.

I won't break it up into separate episode threads like for other shows since it's only 8 episodes.

Any and all episodes can be discussed here, so be warned for SPOILERS if you've only watched a few and are in here reading.

Last edited by Kuljit Mithra on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was quite good. It builds slow, but in a good way. It peaks at about episode four so there's a bit of a dip after that, but it ends strong. All four characters are fun. Good comic book Daredevil references as well.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked it a lot! I didn't see a "slow" pace at the begging, it was building up just right! I LOVED the colour variations for every Defender, i think it was one of the best parts of the show. The ending was unexpected, it was pretty emotional for me (***SPOILER ALERT** OK we all knew that DD was going to make it alive) but it was nicely done. Also that LAST scene with Matt... AWESOME!

I give it 8/10.
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked it . I thought the four Defenders were great, and the supporting cast was fantastic, as always! I didn't really care for the Jessica Jones series, but I enjoyed her a lot in this one.

The only thing that would've made it cooler is if Stark himself had shown up in Misty's hospital room at the end!
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed it too. I liked the color tints that they did in the beginning as well... pretty clever. The interaction between Luke and Danny (a budding bro-mance is coming on), and the completely polar views of Matt & Jessica (one caring too much... the other not at all). Seeing Matt in the bed at the end (that should be his mother at his bed) is bringing up nostalgia, and fear (I'm afraid they may try doing Born Again... too early... In my opinion).

Probably my 2nd favorite in the Netflix series.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished watching it yesterday, and I had a number of problems with it.

The characters don't get together in the first episode, and they don't all meet until the third.

Danny is insufferable. He is a petulant child. I actually disliked him more in The Defenders than I did in his own show.

Why was Alexandra in this show? What point did her character serve? Couldn't Madame Gao have led the fingers of the Hand, since we already knew her character? We never even saw what Alexandra could do in a fight. Why was she the leader? I don't think she served the story at all.

Why were the other fingers of the Hand all doubting The Black Sky when we saw them put so much effort into capturing Elektra during Season 2 of Daredevil?

Why did Elektra want Danny to knock down that door in the bottom of the hole, behind which was "the true power of the Hand" when just a couple of lines later she states that she isn't the Hand?

On the plus side, I thought Charlie Cox and Mike Colter were great. I never liked the Netflix Jessica Jones, because she's pissed off all the time. She shows zero emotional range. Clearly other people like her, and that's fine. I hate Wolverine for the same reasons, and that's another beloved character.

But it just seems to me that this show as hastily thrown together, and it deserved more care. That's a shame, considering how well the Marvel Netflix shows started off. I hope more care is taken with Daredevil Season 3.

Before I forget, I imagine a bunch of people are super stoked about the final image in the last episode. You all realize it's impossible to do "Born Again", don't you?
MaceQuantex
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked it. The fact that the four characters don't "team up" until the fourth episode is a strong point for the show. Without a Nick Fury (or Batman, if you're into the Justice League) tracking every member of the team and setting out with a plan to put them together as a team, there is no way to convincingly team them up much sooner than that. Trying to do it in the first episode would be impossible. There's no groundwork upon which to build that idea. The only ones who could do it are Claire (and she has no larger objective to warrant putting a team together) and apparently Stick (who is unknown to everyone except Murdock).

Danny is a little better by the end of The Defenders, but seems to be in a place where he will come across better in season two of Iron Fist.

The ending does seem to be referencing Born Again, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. The shows have never done a direct page-to-screen adaptation (thankfully), but a story line where Fisk figures out that Murdock is Daredevil and tries to beat Daredevil by going after Murdock would have to be implemented differently, but could work in the show. However, Daredevil season three looks like it will start with everyone thinking Murdock is dead, so it seems strange to try to use that story line there.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

Before I forget, I imagine a bunch of people are super stoked about the final image in the last episode. You all realize it's impossible to do "Born Again", don't you?

Yes. A million, billion times yes. Even if Born Again could be translated into TV (it likely couldn't) can you imagine how unbelievably terrible it would be if shoe horned into the universe/tone of the Netflix shows? I shutter to think.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
mhs_111
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Marvel's The Defenders S1E1-E8 Discussion *SPOILERS* Reply with quote

Kuljit Mithra wrote:
Marvel's The Defenders arrives on Netflix as 12AM PT on August 18th. Please use this thread for all discussion.

August, huh? I know I'm SUPER late, I was just waiting the right moment to watch it in one sitting Embarassed

Inbetween ep.7 and 8, I'd like to say something here...

I like the story, not much for the characters tho.
Danny is super cheesy and Jessica has only one emotion.

Okay, back to ep.8 now... Cool

"...I don't have sixth sense
I just don't have the fifth."~Virge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: