Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #25 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #25?
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #25 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #25 by Soule, Morgan and Milla ships August 23rd and here's a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-025

Please use this thread for all discussion when it ships!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reviewing Elektra for so long, it feels good to see Daredevil.

Foggy is so off model it's frustrating.

It seems that the Supreme Court did grant cert. Matt claims he lost his last case in order to get here, which does, as off-model Foggy put it, make him an idiot. Foggy also says Matt's going against ten of the most brilliant legal minds. I'm assuming he's counting the attorney for the Appellee since that would be an odd mistake to make otherwise.

The other lawyer has an interesting viewpoint. To me, it works well with the ambiguities of Daredevil. Matt Murdock believes in the law as a rigid structure that keeps everyone in line. He doesn't view is as something maleable that can be bent to the will of a good lawyer. However, people like Fisk believe precisely that and this lawyer in the legitimate side of that debate. The idea that a good lawyer can win rather than the law dictating the outcome.

I would like to see the script because the Chief Justice here is clearly not John Roberts. I'd like to see if that was Soule's suggestion or something Alec Morgan did. There's a debate in this country whether the Supreme Court's oral arguments should be televised. There's a sense that it gives a misleading representation of what happens - that the oral argument is crucial when it is not. That being said, I do think Matt's thoughts in his head during oral argument absolutely should be televised.

Ultimately, this will be an interesting change. As a practical matter, it probably won't be a huge one, but I suspect it could get referenced on occasion. I like the speech as well about Matt giving reflection on his duality. Plus, red costume!

Four and a Half Stars. Damn that art hurts it, though.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if this isn't some groundwork being laid for an upcoming 'Event'. Given that the decision made affects every costumed hero in the Marvel USA, I think the reverberations may be felt in other titles sooner, rather than later.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, most superheroes don't really want to be testifying in court all the time and this issue only says they can testify under "some circumstances." I doubt it'll have a huge impact on the day to day comics because most people have more interesting things to say.

After all, it's not like we've seen all those non-anonymous superheroes testifying in court prior to this.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... And why was he in black, again?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:

Excellent question.

This was a frustrating issue for a number of reasons.

1) As Mike Murdock mentioned, Morgan's artwork is often painful. I don't know how this guy got picked to draw a comics arc when he can't draw characters to model.

2) I didn't very far into Charles Soule's She-Hulk arc, so I don't feel I understand the character Legal. I finished reading this story, and I still don't feel I understand Legal. I was under the impression that he's a super-powered lawyer. In what way? I don't understand much of the legalese he spouts in this issue, but Matt seems to. Is he just super-intimidating in the way that Mr. Burns' lawyers are, making their opposing lawyers feel like Lionel Hutz? Spoiler alert -- Matt wins this case with his legal talents. How is Legal a super-being?

3) The inclusion of Tombstone in this issue is pathetic. Fisk has hired him to attack the supreme court, and we're led to believe that is going to happen, even though we've seen his attacks in the previous to issues foiled by a) She-Hulk and b) weiner smoke. In this issue he decides to disregard Fisk's orders and sit on his keister drinking beer. Way to heighten the drama. What do we, the readers, get out of that? Why couldn't Fisk be like his old self -- brutally punish Tombstone for his incompetence and retain the services of a new threat? This just makes the Kingpin, Daredevil's most formidable foe, look inept, and he should never look that way.

4) "Now who's the magician?" Matt cockily poses this question to Legal after he reads his heartbeat. I suppose it's possible that Legal wouldn't understand the meaning behind that sentence, but I would think someone who has gone through everything Matt Murdock has gone through would be a little more tight-lipped.

5) The fake fisticuffs with the supreme court justices. It's obvious to me that it was included just to fulfill some sort of action quota, since, without that scene, this issue would just be talking heads (even though we got plenty of issue like that during the Bendis era, but I guess Mark Paniccia and Axel Alonso are enforcing an action quota). This double page spread is simply being imagined by Matt, because the justices aren't very accepting of his comments. He's feeling figuratively attacked, not physically. It's a cheap way to include action in a comic.

6) To repeat an excellent question, "... And why was he in black, again?" I have posed some theories during Soule's run on why he was wearing black before, but nothing has been suggested in the pages of the comic. In the old days, the desire to sell a new toy would have motivated the costume change. I have a hard time thinking that is behind the switch to black. I never liked it -- it hearkened to closely to the disastrous Shadowland for my tastes. I'm glad to see the return to red, but given the meaninglessness of the black costume from the previous 24 issues, it seems like there was no reason to subject us to this.

I enjoy legal drama, so I could appreciate "Supreme" for that, but this issue was very weak and unsatisfying. I gave it a two out of five.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About your 3rd point, Dimetre, I believe that what Tombstone did was to drive home a specific point.
Kingpin is the supreme uncontested leader of organized crime. At his best he is an untouchable figure, feared and respected by everyone.
Tombstone unwillingness to obey him shows a simple and important thing at the end of this arc: Matt delivered a terrible blow to Kingpin.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
About your 3rd point, Dimetre, I believe that what Tombstone did was to drive home a specific point.
Kingpin is the supreme uncontested leader of organized crime. At his best he is an untouchable figure, feared and respected by everyone.
Tombstone unwillingness to obey him shows a simple and important thing at the end of this arc: Matt delivered a terrible blow to Kingpin.

I got that Matt delivered a blow to the Kingpin, but I knew that without Tombstone sitting on his keister.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:

Dimetre wrote:
6) To repeat an excellent question, "... And why was he in black, again?" I have posed some theories during Soule's run on why he was wearing black before, but nothing has been suggested in the pages of the comic. In the old days, the desire to sell a new toy would have motivated the costume change. I have a hard time thinking that is behind the switch to black. I never liked it -- it hearkened to closely to the disastrous Shadowland for my tastes. I'm glad to see the return to red, but given the meaninglessness of the black costume from the previous 24 issues, it seems like there was no reason to subject us to this.

There are toys with the black suit now (I’ve seen a Minimate and a Kotobukiya statue), so I think you’re actually correct. Within the narrative itself, I think it’s supposed to be a reflection of Matt’s mental state. With his penance from the priest completed by winning the court case, he feels better enough to switch back to the red one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: