Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #599 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #599?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 stars. I think Matt is doing the best he can under trying circumstances. Working for Kingpin would wear on anyone, and Muse is so unpredictable, it’s hard to know how to best counter him. I think it says a lot that Matt knows he needs help, and I’m curious to see how everything unfolds next issue. As for ranking where Soule is in terms of Daredevil writers, well, it seems sort of silly as isn’t that really debating who is the best of the rest? There’s Miller, and then there’s everyone else. I really like Soule, but as I’ve said multiple times, I also understand why not everyone is enjoying him the way I am.

IMHO Muse is a fantastic addition to Daredevil’s rogue’s gallery. I like how his devotion to his art mirrors Matt’s dedication to justice, and I laughed out loud at how he confronted Blindspot. As for Sam, I don't think he's going anywhere, which is fine, although he still needs to make up for everything he did to Matt. I agree Sam being standoffish with Matt is absurd, but since he partially opened up to Hannah, I also agree he’s demonstrating his immaturity. Remember, Sam is the one who’s stated that working with Matt is almost like having a father, and Sam’s treating Matt as the authority figure he has to be ungrateful to and rebel against even though Sam is the one who kidnapped, drugged, and tortured Matt.

Daredevil24 wrote:
DD should have a great universe like Batman, but not as a large.

He does. What Matt lacks in breath compared to Bruce, he has in depth. I’d much rather read this than stuff like “Night of the Monster Men” over in Batman.

Daredevil24 wrote:
I still don't understand why Elektra doesn't have more of a prominent role in the DD universe. Soule had an opportunity to fix that and did nothing but a tease. Sad.

I hope Elektra appears again too. Not only do I adore her and Matt together, it’s frustrating that if Elektra isn’t in Daredevil, she really has nowhere to go except limbo, unfortunately. Her time in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. didn’t hurt her, but it didn’t help her gain popularity either, and her solo series last year only made five issues, even if it did sell more than Kingpin.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunni wrote:
As for ranking where Soule is in terms of Daredevil writers, well, it seems sort of silly as isn’t that really debating who is the best of the rest? There’s Miller, and then there’s everyone else.

These are writers who I think have better Daredevil runs than Charles Soule, whose run I think is decent -- meaning not bad but not great.

Frank Miller
Denny O'Neil
Ed Brubaker
Mark Waid
Ann Nocenti

Nocenti has some issues that don't stand up, and she can overwrite, but she took a lot of chances and sometimes her work was astounding. I have to put her ahead of Soule.

I guess that means that Soule is my sixth favourite Daredevil writer.

I absolutely adore David Mack's work on the title, and I would like to think he wasn't that involved in the horrid End of Days, but I have to concede he didn't do enough work to place him above Soule.

I was also tempted to place J.M. DeMatteis above Soule, but he only wrote six issues, and while some may find the character of Sir an offensive portrayal of transsexuals, I think DeMatteis is so good at exploring a character's psychology. I also think he did an excellent job at cleaning up Chichester's mess. But if I couldn't put Mack ahead of Soule, I certainly can't do it for DeMatteis based on just six issues.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunni wrote:

As for ranking where Soule is in terms of Daredevil writers, well, it seems sort of silly as isn’t that really debating who is the best of the rest? There’s Miller, and then there’s everyone else.

I have heard some people claim that Bendis's run is better. Granted, I think those people are wrong, but I've definitely heard it said.

Quote:
I hope Elektra appears again too. Not only do I adore her and Matt together, it’s frustrating that if Elektra isn’t in Daredevil, she really has nowhere to go except limbo, unfortunately. Her time in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. didn’t hurt her, but it didn’t help her gain popularity either, and her solo series last year only made five issues, even if it did sell more than Kingpin.

This might be unpopular, but I think one of the difficulties Elektra is having is that her story ended. It was a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end and everything else feels like it's spinning in circles.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Sunni wrote:

I have heard some people claim that Bendis's run is better. Granted, I think those people are wrong, but I've definitely heard it said.

Count me as one of those people, even if it’s unpopular. While Born Again is the single greatest story arc for me in comics (which is also oddly one that gives Matt a happy ending, at least by his standards) from beginning to end I would take Bendis over Miller. A significant part of this would also be due to Maleev; however, I think that’s true of most great writers. Same reason I like Waid so much is due in part to Samnee. While the art was good on Miller’s original run it wasn’t on par with Maleev or Samnee. Now Mazzuchelli was amazing however he wasn’t with Miller that long.

Mike Murdock wrote:
Sunni wrote:

This might be unpopular, but I think one of the difficulties Elektra is having is that her story ended. It was a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end and everything else feels like it's spinning in circles.

I actually think you couldn’t be more right about this even if it is unpopular and I love Elektra as well. What has Elektra done of significance since her 1st solo series in the 90s?

Basically her sole function is to pop in from time to time to get Matt all worked up and then leave for a few dozen issues. At least when they do something similar with Natasha it’s handled better because writers have been able to develop a strong friendship between them that makes sense. I don’t see a scenario where they put Matt and Elektra back together for any length of time.

The only thing I think could be interesting was already teased by Soule and it’s if Elektra got pregnant and had Matt’s child. While obvious similarities to Batman, Talia and Damian would be made, I think it could’ve done even better in Daredevil.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I absolutely adore David Mack's work on the title, and I would like to think he wasn't that involved in the horrid End of Days, but I have to concede he didn't do enough work to place him above Soule.

End of Days is on my “Do Not Read” list, LOL.

macjr33 wrote:
A significant part of this would also be due to Maleev; however, I think that’s true of most great writers. Same reason I like Waid so much is due in part to Samnee. While the art was good on Miller’s original run it wasn’t on par with Maleev or Samnee. Now Mazzuchelli was amazing however he wasn’t with Miller that long.

That’s an interesting perspective, as I personally would rank art separately from writing. I prefer to have art that I like looking at, but I also think that’s why I’ve weathered the multiple artists in Soule’s run better than other people. I loathe Samnee’s art (no offense to him, but I think it looks like knockoff Archie), but that’s not why Waid’s run didn’t work for me outside of Foggy and Matt’s mom. For example, it wouldn’t have made those scenes on the boat with Kirsten and her dad any less boring if someone else had drawn it.

macjr33 wrote:
Mike Murdock wrote:

I actually think you couldn’t be more right about this even if it is unpopular and I love Elektra as well. What has Elektra done of significance since her 1st solo series in the 90s?

Other people have made that argument, and I do understand that position, but she’s had another 60 solo issues beyond that (her second volume almost doubled her first) plus her team memberships in Thunderbolts, etc. which says to me there’s more stories to tell with Elektra and with Elektra and Matt.

macjr33 wrote:
Basically her sole function is to pop in from time to time to get Matt all worked up and then leave for a few dozen issues. At least when they do something similar with Natasha it’s handled better because writers have been able to develop a strong friendship between them that makes sense. I don’t see a scenario where they put Matt and Elektra back together for any length of time.

I can and not just because I’m clearly biased. Lately she’s been a heroine who sometimes kills people, not an anti-heroine. It’s a little weird that in three different books with three different writers, she’s hurt (not killed) and arrested people she’d normally would have just killed previously. IMHO Marvel needs to better define what they want out of Elektra. But whether they want to try another solo series with her or have her support Matt instead, the best way to build her up for either of those roles is for her to appear in Daredevil, not be in limbo.

macjr33 wrote:
The only thing I think could be interesting was already teased by Soule and it’s if Elektra got pregnant and had Matt’s child. While obvious similarities to Batman, Talia and Damian would be made, I think it could’ve done even better in Daredevil.

IMHO Marvel largely keeps characters single and childless as to not limit storytelling for the writers; to do something like the Cage family with Luke, Jessica, and Danielle requires long-term editorial backing. It would have been great for Iona to have been real, but without that support, she just would have ended up killed or retconned or forgotten later, which would have been awful.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunni wrote:
Dimetre wrote:

End of Days is on my “Do Not Read” list, LOL.

I am not even going to try and defend End of Days as it has issues, lots of issues; however, I felt the premise was an interesting one and could have been great had it been executed better. The two things I did like were the opening fight with Bullseye as that is pretty much exactly how I envisioned Matt if he were to die. Second, I did like that he ended up with Natasha in some capacity as I am heavily biased towards them as a couple. Much like Sunni wants Matt and Elektra back together, I want the same only with Natasha even though I know it's never going to happen.

Sunni wrote:
That’s an interesting perspective, as I personally would rank art separately from writing. I prefer to have art that I like looking at, but I also think that’s why I’ve weathered the multiple artists in Soule’s run better than other people. I loathe Samnee’s art (no offense to him, but I think it looks like knockoff Archie), but that’s not why Waid’s run didn’t work for me outside of Foggy and Matt’s mom. For example, it wouldn’t have made those scenes on the boat with Kirsten and her dad any less boring if someone else had drawn it.

That makes sense, for me I guess I have a hard time separating the two. For me the art has to fit the story, Maleev and Samnee couldn't be more different; however, their art fits the story. I've said this before, if David Marquez was doing the art on Daredevil, I think I'd be enjoying Soule's run even more. Now that I think about it some of my issues with Nocenti might be that I loathe Romita Jr.'s art the same way you do Samnee. At times it almost made some of the issues unreadable, for me at least.

Sunni wrote:
Other people have made that argument, and I do understand that position, but she’s had another 60 solo issues beyond that (her second volume almost doubled her first) plus her team memberships in Thunderbolts, etc. which says to me there’s more stories to tell with Elektra and with Elektra and Matt.

I can and not just because I’m clearly biased. Lately she’s been a heroine who sometimes kills people, not an anti-heroine. It’s a little weird that in three different books with three different writers, she’s hurt (not killed) and arrested people she’d normally would have just killed previously. IMHO Marvel needs to better define what they want out of Elektra. But whether they want to try another solo series with her or have her support Matt instead, the best way to build her up for either of those roles is for her to appear in Daredevil, not be in limbo.

While she's had other runs and tie ins with other teams like you say, I haven't found much of it to be compelling. I recently picked up the TPB of her 90's series and it's ok. However, she is best when they bring Matt back into it (though I don't like how he was basically ready to cheat on Karen again...). I haven't read any of the Thunderbolts stuff; however, I heard she has a thing with Castle which would kill any interest for me.

To you your point, and I agree, she needs to be properly defined by some writer to move her forward. In my opinion, she needs something similar to what Brubaker and Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist did for Danny Rand.

Sunni wrote:
IMHO Marvel largely keeps characters single and childless as to not limit storytelling for the writers; to do something like the Cage family with Luke, Jessica, and Danielle requires long-term editorial backing. It would have been great for Iona to have been real, but without that support, she just would have ended up killed or retconned or forgotten later, which would have been awful.

You most certainly know more about this than I do. I've only recently got back into comics a few years ago and I've stuck primarily with DD and a few other street level characters like Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

With that said, one of the things that I enjoy about Daredevil is that he stays out of most of the broader Marvel events so I think him having a child could work with the right support and vision. Given Matt's own relationship with his father along with the Catholic guilt that is a part of his character, done well, it could be a deep and compelling narrative to explore. I really enjoyed the issue in Waid's run where it was in the future and Matt did have a child.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macjr33 wrote:
Sunni wrote:

While she's had other runs and tie ins with other teams like you say, I haven't found much of it to be compelling. I recently picked up the TPB of her 90's series and it's ok. However, she is best when they bring Matt back into it (though I don't like how he was basically ready to cheat on Karen again...). I haven't read any of the Thunderbolts stuff; however, I heard she has a thing with Castle which would kill any interest for me.

To you your point, and I agree, she needs to be properly defined by some writer to move her forward. In my opinion, she needs something similar to what Brubaker and Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist did for Danny Rand.

Greg Rucka had a run on the Marvel Knights Elektra series, with most of the art by Carlo Pagulayan. I thought it was very good, and it was collected in a trade a few years ago. It involved a survivor of one of her attacks getting revenge to spur her towards reform. After that she seeks out a new trainer. I would have been curious to see what would have happened if her character was allowed to continue in this new direction.

I really enjoyed the series by Haden Blackman with art by Mike Del Mundo at the time, but now I honestly don't remember what happened in it. It was very mystical.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macjr33 wrote:
I want the same only with Natasha even though I know it's never going to happen.

Never say never. Although it’s arguable Matt’s role in Natasha’s life has been replaced by Bucky (for example, Matt used to be featured in Black Widow’s issues, but now it’s Bucky), it could still happen if the Daredevil writer liked them together and got editorial to approve it.

macjr33 wrote:
I haven't read any of the Thunderbolts stuff; however, I heard she has a thing with Castle which would kill any interest for me.

Elektra does date Frank in Thunderbolts, and yes, I was not a fan, but it’s surprisingly not a bad read because what’s shown during the course of the relationship is Frank and Elektra really don’t have anything in common besides killing people. Elektra needs more than Frank’s black and white little world, so if anything, it reaffirmed why she always comes back to Matt.

macjr33 wrote:
You most certainly know more about this than I do. I've only recently got back into comics a few years ago and I've stuck primarily with DD and a few other street level characters like Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

With that said, one of the things that I enjoy about Daredevil is that he stays out of most of the broader Marvel events so I think him having a child could work with the right support and vision. Given Matt's own relationship with his father along with the Catholic guilt that is a part of his character, done well, it could be a deep and compelling narrative to explore. I really enjoyed the issue in Waid's run where it was in the future and Matt did have a child.

Thank you for the complement. I had a lot of problems with that story, which seems to be par for the course with Waid for me, but Jack wasn’t one of them. I agree that a child for Matt could be some really rich thematic material, but what I would be concerned with is a scenario like Writer A starts to explore that territory, next Writer B comes along and kills off the child, and then Writer C retcons the child so they never existed. Moreover, while I think it worked fine to show a panel of Jessica and Danielle playing blocks while Luke and Danny were out working the streets in Power Man and Iron Fist, I think we’d want more in Daredevil than just the happy, sweet scenes too. There’d have to be a serious ongoing commitment to the direction by writing and editorial for it to work in a way that would allow the complexity of storytelling we’d want to read.

Dimetre wrote:
macjr33 wrote:

Greg Rucka had a run on the Marvel Knights Elektra series, with most of the art by Carlo Pagulayan. I thought it was very good, and it was collected in a trade a few years ago. It involved a survivor of one of her attacks getting revenge to spur her towards reform. After that she seeks out a new trainer. I would have been curious to see what would have happened if her character was allowed to continue in this new direction.

Me too. I think Rucka could have been a defining run for Elektra except he made a few errors near the end that undermined the story he was telling. Those would have been less problematic if his run hadn't been one big story after the first short arc, but it was.

Dimetre wrote:
I really enjoyed the series by Haden Blackman with art by Mike Del Mundo at the time, but now I honestly don't remember what happened in it. It was very mystical.

Blackman’s run is notable for reviving Bullseye, and I liked all the mysticism, but I think it meandered too much, which Blackman basically admitted in the final author’s note. Had it been more compressed, I think it would have made it more than eleven issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: