Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #600 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #600?
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #600 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

The milestone issue of DAREDEVIL #600 ships this Wednesday, by Soule, Garney, Milla, Gage, Perkins. Cover by Mora. Lots and lots of variant covers as well.

Here's a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-600

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships this week!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol at this issue. Daredevil gets his ass handed to him by Fisk while Blindspot defeats Muse, punks the Beast and succeeds at what Matt failed to do in Shadowland (actually controlling the power). Matt is locked away in the back of police vehicle like a helpless bystander while Blindspot stands victorious. I'll admit the status quo change is interesting but this issue was a let down. Carry on.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt's confidence in this issue feels over the top. He's convinced his plan is great and he can bring down the Kingpin. I'm almost certain this will backfire. At a minimum, Matt should tape record anything he hears rather than just rely on his testimony.

On the Muse/Blindspot story, there's a few interesting things here. There's a bit of unhinged fourth wall breaking that allows for meta commentary. It reminds me a bit of Purple Man in Alias. I liked when he referenced my thoughts with "I really thought you were dead just there." I also liked the push/pull of the Beast and hope that doesn't go away. He was able to use powers of the Hand to win over Muse, which will certainly have consequences. My only real complaint is the resolution was too little for how permanent it seems.

I have to say, I didn't expect the end. It's still a little hard to believe. I think Soule's moving too fast here. I wanted the Kingpin story to last a little longer. Still, they were promising something big and that's definitely big. I just know it won't last and it's hard to imagine it lasting very long at all.

Side note, there's always some uneasy continuity with Bendis continuity. This story almost certainly would have to occur before Defenders #10 to fit together. But then the ending makes the reveal seem a bit weird.

Four Stars.

That backup story was sweet. Nice little trip down memory lane, but emphasis on little.

Overall, I enjoyed issue #600 a lot, but it doesn't feel as big as issue #500.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part of this whole issue was the Foggy story at the end.

The main story was okay, I was hoping for a little more from the Matt / Fisk confrontation. At first, I thought maybe Matt had something to do with the appearance of the hand, but he seemed just as surprised as we are. As far as Sam and Muse... I didn't like it. Sam only denied the powers after he used them to defeat Muse...kinda hypocritical in my opinion (and I've been a Sam supporter). I like the heroes locked up thing they got going on, though I saw that coming, Matt should have too.

I gave the issue 4 stars, but without the "Trip through memory lane", it would've been lower. Like I said, I enjoyed that more than the main story for this issue.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belfan wrote:

As far as Sam and Muse... I didn't like it. Sam only denied the powers after he used them to defeat Muse...kinda hypocritical in my opinion (and I've been a Sam supporter).

It is hypocritical and I suspect there will be consequences for his actions.

Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A milestone issue and barely no comments. ..WTF. Come on DD fans! Get in here!
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.5 stars for me, so I rounded up to 5 for my vote. I thought this issue was awesome! But I had to deduct 0.5 stars for a bit of a suspension of disbelief issue as I just don’t buy that the heroes and villains are quite so stupid that Matt would be the only one who acted calmly and rationally during the sting operation. A distraction like a fire alarm going off or a third party like Deadpool or The Punisher showing up would been better to light the powderkeg than the villains turning on each other and the heroes responding IMHO. That said, everything else was great, and I especially liked the confrontation between Kingpin and Daredevil at Belvedere Castle. Garney and Milla did their usual brilliant work, and I’m going to miss Garney on the title, but I’m looking forward to Mike Hawthorne’s art based on what he’s shared on Twitter so far.

Daredevil24 wrote:
Blindspot defeats Muse, punks the Beast and succeeds at what Matt failed to do in Shadowland (actually controlling the power).

Eh, I don’t think it’s the same level of difficulty. Sam wasn’t possessed; The Beast was just talking to him through his eyeballs. And I hope The Hand revives Muse if he's really dead; he’s too entertaining to lose permanently.

Mike Murdock wrote:
Belfan wrote:

As far as Sam and Muse... I didn't like it. Sam only denied the powers after he used them to defeat Muse...kinda hypocritical in my opinion (and I've been a Sam supporter).

It is hypocritical and I suspect there will be consequences for his actions.

I agree with both of you, but I’d say that’s actually pretty consistent from Sam that he chooses the easy fix instead of the harder route, unlike Matt. Sam seems to think he can somehow avoid fallout even though it killed his mom. Hopefully he doesn’t have to lose Hannah too.

Mike Murdock wrote:
Matt's confidence in this issue feels over the top. He's convinced his plan is great and he can bring down the Kingpin. I'm almost certain this will backfire. At a minimum, Matt should tape record anything he hears rather than just rely on his testimony.

Belfan wrote:
I like the heroes locked up thing they got going on, though I saw that coming, Matt should have too.

Matt has faith in the law. Sometimes it’s a strength, sometimes it’s a weakness as it would have been here if The Hand hadn't attacked Fisk.

Mike Murdock wrote:
I have to say, I didn't expect the end. It's still a little hard to believe. I think Soule's moving too fast here. I wanted the Kingpin story to last a little longer. Still, they were promising something big and that's definitely big. I just know it won't last and it's hard to imagine it lasting very long at all.

Well, it wouldn’t have gone on much longer with Kingpin firing Matt the next day anyway. Soule said on his website he’s been building to this since the first issue of his run, so Mayor Murdock versus The Hand for NYC is the story he wants to tell. I’m excited to see where this goes! I understand your concern about the duration, but actual time doesn’t have to correspond to comic time at all, especially when we only get one or two issues a month.

Mike Murdock wrote:
Side note, there's always some uneasy continuity with Bendis continuity. This story almost certainly would have to occur before Defenders #10 to fit together. But then the ending makes the reveal seem a bit weird.

I have no problem with Soule ignoring everything Bendis did in Defenders. Bendis never respected anyone’s continuity except his own, so it's not surprising that someone else decided to not follow his.

Mike Murdock wrote:
That backup story was sweet. Nice little trip down memory lane, but emphasis on little.

On his Twitter Gage said he pitched this Foggy-centric tale when he wrote for the Netflix show, it was turned down, and he turned it into his backup. Reading the story, I see why. There just wasn’t enough meat on the bone here, which was too bad as Foggy could easily handle a more substantial narrative. That said, Mike Perkins’ art was wonderful, with the heavy lines and shadow and classical figures. Given his work on Carnage and Iron Fist, I’m glad we got to see him draw Daredevil before he went over to DC.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunni wrote:

Mike Murdock wrote:

I have no problem with Soule ignoring everything Bendis did in Defenders. Bendis never respected anyone’s continuity except his own, so it's not surprising that someone else decided to not follow his.

Except he's not ignoring it, he's actively using it with the appearance of Diamondback. There's just a delay on both ends with one being aware what the other is doing. This is more something editorial needed to have coordinated. All they really needed to do was not draw Diamondback and Black Cat.

macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I gave this issue a 3. And that's not to say that I felt that this was a bad issue, or even average, I just had higher expectations for it and I felt that it could have delivered more.

What I liked was Matt being with all the other heroes, I think it's a nice dynamic for him from time to time. I also really liked the Foggy piece at the end. It really shows what a unique character Foggy is in the overall Marvel Universe.

What I didn't like was all the time spent on Sam/Muse. I have been trying really hard to like Sam; however, the more and more he is in the book the more I am disliking it. What I have also realized is that, in part thanks to the Foggy piece, was that Sam is very much substituting for Matt's relationship with Foggy and a love interest. Personally, I would find it more interesting if Matt were to rebuild his friendship with Foggy. I would also like to see Matt in a relationship as that often adds layers of complexity for him as a character. Is this the longest Matt's ever been without being in a relationship? Lastly, I am not sure what Matt's plan was when confronting Fisk, again if there was a bigger plan at play then this could work, but that remains to be seen.

As for the Matt is now mayor twist, while is was a little surprising and could lead to some fun in the subsequent issues, I was not completely blown away by it. And if memory serves, I believe this was an idea Kesel had during his run that was ultimately shut down.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Sunni wrote:

Mike Murdock wrote:

Except he's not ignoring it, he's actively using it with the appearance of Diamondback. There's just a delay on both ends with one being aware what the other is doing. This is more something editorial needed to have coordinated. All they really needed to do was not draw Diamondback and Black Cat.

While I agree that Soule doesn't necessarily need to follow Bendis' lead, I do hope that they have Matt reveal his identity to the other street level heroes within his own book, specifically with Luke, Danny, Jessica, Peter and Maya. I understand they needed to put the "genie back in the bottle" with regards to his identify and I actually felt they did a good job with it; however, Matt has such a rich history with these characters specifically that I feel there is a little bit lost by them not knowing his true identity.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they'll have him reveal his identity twice to Danny, Luke, and Jessica. Marvel is one continuity and, at some point, an editor will catch it.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't expect to be so underwhelmed by the landmark 600th issue.

Ron Garney's artwork seems more rushed and scratchy than ever. I'm at a loss why so many heroes are in this issue when so few of them do anything. Muse didn't interact with Daredevil at all in this book, and I'm disappointed that Charles Soule is putting so much effort into building up this rivalry between Muse and Blindspot. Muse is the best Daredevil villain to come along in years, but we're already trying to take him away from Daredevil.

I don't know why Blindspot wasn't using his invisibility powers. I didn't like the way Garney was portraying Matt's radar sense. I couldn't tell exactly what Sam did when he used the power of the Beast.

The cliffhanger was the best thing about the issue, but this was a big let-down for me. I think I've had my fill of Soule, and I'm hoping Fresh Start brings a new creative team to this book. I think it's time for Blindspot to take his leave from the pages of Daredevil as well.

As for the back-up feature, it was a good look at Foggy, but I'm surprised that they show Matt in a hospital bed instead of Foggy, since he's the one who fought cancer. That was a huge time in their relationship as far as I'm concerned.

I gave this a two.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
I don't think they'll have him reveal his identity twice to Danny, Luke, and Jessica. Marvel is one continuity and, at some point, an editor will catch it.
He already did that in the Defenders comics. They know who he is again.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would like Sam to disappear for a bit. I still feel he stole a lot of Matt's thunder in this milestone issue which is just wrong. The character had potential but he hasn't reached it and I'm tired of waiting for him to do it. He's a genius that could be useful but as of now he adds nothing to the Daredevil mythos. Why did Matt decide to train him? What did he see in him that was so special that it made him bypass the violent dangers of his world and take him under his wing?

And while I don't mind Matt not dating yet another new woman the relationship absence is clearly noticeable. Me personally would like a new take on Daredevil/Elektra but that's just me. This issue just wasn't what it should have been.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
And while I don't mind Matt not dating yet another new woman the relationship absence is clearly noticeable. Me personally would like a new take on Daredevil/Elektra but that's just me. This issue just wasn't what it should have been.

I completely agree with this and, in my opinion, is even more magnified with him not having a relationship for Foggy either. To me what separates Matt from say Batman, is that Matt very much wants to try and live the dual life of both Matt Murdock the lawyer and Daredevil. To that end, he very much values the relationships that he has with those that are important to him. When you think of the most impactful story arcs for Matt they are often built around the relationships he has with those around him like his relationship with his father, the death of Elektra and Karen, how he and Karen reconciled in Born Again, Daredevil: Yellow, his life falling apart during the Bendis/Brubaker run and it leading to his failed marriage, Foggy getting cancer, learning the truth of why his Mom left. These were so powerful because of the connection Matt has with others that are important to him and is rather unique to Matt in the comic world. I feel that aspect is missing from Soule's run as I certainly do not feel that connection with Sam.

Another aspect of it is that while I certainly detest people like Kevin Smith's false interpretation of Matt as a womanizer, as he is NOT Tony Stark. I do, however, think that Matt is a very suave and charismatic particularly with women, almost an antithesis of Spider-Man in that regard. I think Waid did a good job of showcasing that in a much more positive light then Smith did and that is something fun that I like seeing in the comics that further differentiates Matt.

As for who he should be dating, I am pretty open in the regard. A fresh look at Matt/Elektra could be nice though with all the history between them it may be a bit hard to pull off. Similarly, my dream would be for him to be with Natasha, which is also not going to happen.

Other existing characters I wouldn't mind seeing would be bringing back Echo as to me I am not sure I have ever seen Matt more genuinely happy with someone (outside of the last panel in Born Again with Karen) then he was when he was on the date with Maya. I think Jen Walters is an option; however, I am not familiar with She-Hulk comics so I am not sure if that makes sense stylistically.

Aside from those ideas you may have to go a new route as I am not sure where else they could pull a character from that would make sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: