Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Infinity Countdown: Daredevil #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Infinity Countdown: Daredevil #1 Reply with quote

Did anybody else pick this up this week?

The introduction says the Infinity Stones were reborn and scattered throughout the universe. Turk gets possession of the soul stone. That allows Turk to read and control people's minds.

I think it's pretty good. Gerry Duggan wrote it, and I previously enjoyed his Hulk run with Doctor Green. There are three different artists credited with pencils for some reason, but their styles are indistinguishable.

Now, after Secret Empire, Marvel pledged no crossover events for 18 months. Does Infinity Countdown count as an event? I honestly haven't been following it. Apparently it's been going on since February.

What I liked about this issue is that it brings back some classic Daredevil characters and locations. Not only is Turk here, but also Grotto, and there is a scene in Josie's. What I didn't enjoy was a gratuitous reference to "Born Again." Why would suit-and-tie-wearing Matt think Turk would recognize him as the hobo he once stabbed when he was in the Santa suit?

Another problem I had was that all Matt has to do to beat Turk is get him to drop the stone, and then swing away with it to give it to the Avengers. Matt actually got Turk to drop it in one panel, but Matt stood there and listened to Turk drone on while he told the story of how he got it in the first place, and somehow Turk picked it up again. Matt swings away afterwards without even trying to get him to drop it again. That kind of sucks. I think Matt could have easily gotten it away from Turk. One billy club toss could shatter Turk's wrist. Done.

But we can't have that. It's all part of a larger tale apparently. I plan to pick up the Black Widow issue, but nothing else.

Did anyone else check this out?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it did a great job of capturing the spirit of Miller's Daredevil while obviously having a very different tone and content. The hat burning scene was great.

I was planning on buying this series in trade and only bought this because my LCS stuck it in my box, so I'm probably not reading the rest just yet, but I enjoyed it.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Infinity Countdown: Daredevil #1 Reply with quote

Cosmic Marvel isn’t my thing, so I only bought this because of Daredevil, but I also enjoyed it. I’ve never read anything by Duggan before, but Matt seemed on point. However, the art didn’t quite work for me, not because it was bad, but because it didn’t seem to convey the story well.

Dimetre wrote:
Why would suit-and-tie-wearing Matt think Turk would recognize him as the hobo he once stabbed when he was in the Santa suit?

Because Matt’s distinctive looking-he’s not a forgettable, random face in the crowd kind of guy.

Dimetre wrote:
Another problem I had was that all Matt has to do to beat Turk is get him to drop the stone, and then swing away with it to give it to the Avengers. Matt actually got Turk to drop it in one panel, but Matt stood there and listened to Turk drone on while he told the story of how he got it in the first place, and somehow Turk picked it up again. Matt swings away afterwards without even trying to get him to drop it again. That kind of sucks. I think Matt could have easily gotten it away from Turk. One billy club toss could shatter Turk's wrist. Done.

I totally agree with you! Since that wasn’t the intention, the art should have made it clearer. I wasn’t very impressed by Chris Sprouse here (Phil Noto and Lee Ferguson are clearly aping his work in order to have the all the pages match as Noto in particular has his own distinct style). I found the art hard to follow and lacking in movement in the action scenes and kinda boring too with the bland figure design. The coloring was also a bit weird-why was Matt blond as a kid and strawberry blond as an adult?

Dimetre wrote:
But we can't have that. It's all part of a larger tale apparently. I plan to pick up the Black Widow issue, but nothing else.

Bullseye’s appearance made up for Daredevil’s failure for me. Before I had no interest in any of the rest of this story; now I will read the rest of the event when it shows up on Marvel Unlimited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: