Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Man Without Fear Weekly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Man Without Fear Weekly Reply with quote

At NYC comic con, Marvel announced Man Without Fear, which is a new weekly series starting in January 2019 from writer Jed MacKay and artist Danilo Beyruth. Newsarama says it will visit different corners of Daredevil’s world, and CBR says it will focus on the aftermath of Daredevil’s death. I’ve never read anything by MacKay before, but I have seen Beyruth’s art in Deadpool vs. Gambit, and he can draw Daredevil based on Daredevil’s appearance in the first issue of that mini.

However, and I can only speak for myself, I am not paying twenty dollars a month (or more, if that first issue is $4.99, for instance, ouch) for Daredevil without Daredevil. No Matt, no purchase. I really don’t care about Sam/Mike Murdock/Frank McGee/whoever taking over, Bullseye eating his morning cereal, or whatever else Marvel deems interesting enough to put in this series. Yes, I’d like to see how Elektra deals with Matt gone, but if I buy it for that, it sends the message to Marvel that I approve of these kinds of stunts, which I don’t. Honestly, I’m very curious to see what kind of content Marvel thinks is worth publishing this weekly for as most of the people who would miss Matt have their own lives going on and aren’t going to do much besides get a new lawyer; how long is this series supposed to run? It will already be up to issue #5 after one month.

Now if this does end up being about Matt, I'll buy it, and I suppose it's a good thing that Marvel thinks the brand is worth getting a weekly for however long considering that's a level of push that's been reserved for the likes of the Avengers and X-Men, but I still don't like all the drama just to drive up interest. Stunts have diminishing returns compared to solid storytelling.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timing is a bit odd too. The regaining of a secret identity isolated Daredevil from much of the superhero community. It seems a weird time for them to all mourn his death.

That being said, if you want to read about the last time Daredevil faked his own death, feel free to join in on our Fall From Grace discussion going on over in the Daredevil book club thread. Unless the last time was Shadowland, in which case don't read Shadowland.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dumbfounded by this...
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.... what did everyone think about the first issue of the Man Without Fear mini?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't what I expected. It reminded me a lot of the Inferno/Purgatorio/Paradiso issues of Daredevil where he had a mental breakdown/identity crisis and returned with renewed vigor. I'll keep getting this (particularly because I'm pretty sure my LCS is ordering this book specifically for me and I'd hate to not buy it under those circumstances), but I'll need to at least read issue two before I can form any opinion on it.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
It wasn't what I expected. It reminded me a lot of the Inferno/Purgatorio/Paradiso issues of Daredevil where he had a mental breakdown/identity crisis and returned with renewed vigor.

That's how I feel about the first issue too. I guess it kind of makes sense for Foggy to want Matt to return without being Daredevil. That's been his character's stance for many years now. I don't think that's going to happen, but I'll keep reading.

I didn't think this was great. There are much better stories about Matt's internal struggles. Danilo S. Beyruth's art looks rushed, but he seems to have had fun drawing all the different costumes. I wish they had overlooked the red three-piece suit. I suppose they're saving the classic red costume for the end.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought issue two was better than issue one. I found the narration confusing at first, but it's that way for a reason and it was quite intriguing.

macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, sorry for being MIA for a bit. Things were crazy busy for awhile things have since calmed down so I hope to posting regularly again. Looking forward to the new writing team!

Mike Murdock wrote:
I thought issue two was better than issue one. I found the narration confusing at first, but it's that way for a reason and it was quite intriguing.

I liked issue #1; however, I thought issue #2 was even better.

Agreed that the narration was a bit confusing as I thought it was perhaps Kristen at first; however, I thought how it played out was quite clever and the narration itself quite good. Given what has happened here along with something similar in Marvel Knights makes me feel that there may perhaps be something bigger at play. Seems like it's too convenient to be a coincidence.

One last thing I will say about the first two issues is that they are certainly cleaning out Matt's entire "fridge" and putting that on display. It seems like most writers would just bring up Elektra and Karen; however, they are covering all of it.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the second issue much more than the first. When the source of the narration captions is revealed, I found it to be a very powerful moment, especially on the following page when Matt falls out of his hospital bed. From that point on to the issue's end, the narration and the images run counter to each other in a very compelling way.

Obviously this mini-series is centred on a very internal conflict, but I found last issue to be perhaps too internal. At least in this issue Matt has some waking moments, so that balances the moments with the embodiment of fear along with the spirits of the dead.

We all know that Matt has had some very low moments, but I don't think I've seen Matt's spirit be this broken since Ann Nocenti wrote "A Beer With the Devil," and that's roughly thirty years ago. If the writers and artists of the next two issues can match what Jed MacKay and Stefano Landini pulled off here, this mini-series could be an enduring look into Matt's depths.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third issue didn't hit me as hard as the second. I suppose part of that is due to my lack of enthusiasm towards the DD/Jessica Jones/Luke Cage/Iron Fist line-up of the Defenders. I never read the recent Bendis comic with that line-up, and I didn't really care for the Netflix show. Also, I know very little about the Foolkiller.

Matt is at an even lower point here than he was in the previous issue, and now it's kind of depressing to read.

The choice to intersperse Matt's recovery scenes with those of an old Defenders story was odd. The Foolkiller may have been a threat to Ben Urich, but he certainly wasn't a threat to Daredevil. If the point of the old story was to show how without fear Matt used to be, I think it would have been better to use someone scarier.

Still, this could end up going somewhere good. If Matt doesn't find a reason to get better by the end of this series, I'm not going to see the point of all this.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
The third issue didn't hit me as hard as the second. I suppose part of that is due to my lack of enthusiasm towards the DD/Jessica Jones/Luke Cage/Iron Fist line-up of the Defenders. I never read the recent Bendis comic with that line-up, and I didn't really care for the Netflix show. Also, I know very little about the Foolkiller.

Matt is at an even lower point here than he was in the previous issue, and now it's kind of depressing to read.

The choice to intersperse Matt's recovery scenes with those of an old Defenders story was odd. The Foolkiller may have been a threat to Ben Urich, but he certainly wasn't a threat to Daredevil. If the point of the old story was to show how without fear Matt used to be, I think it would have been better to use someone scarier.

Still, this could end up going somewhere good. If Matt doesn't find a reason to get better by the end of this series, I'm not going to see the point of all this.

For me, I loved this issue and have felt that each issue has been better than the previous one.

Also, I love when Matt is interacting with Jessica, Luke and Danny. I enjoyed it during Bendis initial run and I really did like the brief Defenders series. I find their dynamic to be wonderful and I love Matt's place among them. He is clearly the least "powerful" of the group; however, I would say he is the most respected of that group and serves as the defacto leader.

I thought the scene with Foolkiller was excellent and I was glad to see Ben Urich brought back in. When you really step back and look at it Matt does have a rich history that many authors can draw from.

I found it a bit depressing to read as well; however, I have often felt that way before and I do think that it is building up to him getting better and finding himself, something that is hardly new in Daredevil.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the psychological aspects with Matt were great in this issue. The flashbacks weren't so great because it was hard to buy the sense of stakes in a flashback of a relatively tangential comic. I liked that Jessica Jones figured out the truth because she's the one person with the mind to figure it out and the bluntness to say it.

All that being said, they screwed up the name of the gym - it should have been Fogwell's Gym. They also screwed up the whole Civil War thing with Danny Rand being Daredevil but I have to confess I forgot the details of that too until it was pointed out to me.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
All that being said, they screwed up the name of the gym - it should have been Fogwell's Gym. They also screwed up the whole Civil War thing with Danny Rand being Daredevil but I have to confess I forgot the details of that too until it was pointed out to me.

I noticed that about the gym too. That was kind of a big mistake since Fogwell's has kept appearing over the past 50 years.

As for the Civil War reference, does this make sense with the Purple Children's mindwipe? Shouldn't Danny remember that he dressed up as Daredevil for some reason? That really was Danny, since Matt was in jail. Since the other Defenders know that Matt is both himself and Daredevil, do they remember all their past experiences involving Matt and Daredevil?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the impression that the second they learn Matt's identity, the past memories all come flooding back. That's the way it worked with Foggy. Bendis seemed to write it a little different where they didn't have instantaneous recall of their past, but their reaction was also a little weird and unnatural so I wouldn't read too much into that one page or so.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked #4 better than #3. I think this issue benefited from focusing on a single visit to Matt's hospital room. It's a great idea. Matt wakes up to find Wilson Fisk in his room, and then there's a flashback to a battle between Daredevil and the Kingpin.

This one is less depressing. We dwelt less on Matt's frustration with the slowness of his recovery, and are still unsure whether he can ever fully recover, but, I have some problems with this story. First, while weather forecasts are often correct, I didn't buy that Fisk knew exactly what time it would begin to snow. I can buy that Daredevil's radar can get scrambled by heavy snow, but for Fisk to plan around a weather report?

Also, while artist Paolo Villanelli did a fine job on the bulk of this issue, I was puzzled by a few of the panels during the battle between Daredevil and the Kingpin. Daredevil shoves Fisk into the backseat of a car, and it looks like there are some glass objects near the Kingpin's head. What are they? I wonder if Villanelli drew more into this panel, but the editorial team chose to zoom in more, to the point where we can't make out what those objects are. A few panels later, there is a bottle, some ice cubes and a tumbler. I suppose it's a tumbler, but in that earlier panel, was Daredevil holding it, or was it flying through the air?

As for the ending, I was taken aback by what Matt shouted at the Kingpin, but I thought Fisk acted out of character by leaving. I think he would have been more in character if he granted Matt's request. I don't really understand why Fisk would have been made afraid by what Matt said.

One more issue to go. How will they end this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: