Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #609 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #609?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #609 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #609, the first part of "The Death of Daredevil", ships October 17th, by Soule and Noto.

Here's a preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-609

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know what to say about this...The art is fantastic as usual and the ending is long over due. It just seemed like it was out of left field kinda like the beginning of the issue. I don't know what to say. I wish the whole investigation with Fisk was done more in the beginning of the series as the main plot. And I wish the whole thing with Elektra was done sooner. I like Matt's interaction with Reader and Cypher. As for the Death of Daredevil I don't know where they're going with it but I'm interested. 4/5
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m also unsure at the moment. Matt getting hit by a truck, coming very close to death and then getting better was all so rushed. I get that his meditation helps him heal faster but he doesnt have super healing. Not to this extent anyway. 11 hours later and he’s running around as daredevil again? I feel like this is something that needed at least an entire issue to itself but hopefully soule had to rush it because he has a great story coming and only so many issues left to fit it all in. We’ll see.

I like the design of this new mystery villain but theres not really much more that can be said about that just yet. On a slightly more nitpicky note, i didnt like how he ruled out bullseye as the guy who threw that bone knife because “bullseye uses guns.” Surely thats missing the point of bullseye entirely. He uses anything and everything.

For me this issue doesnt hold up great on its own but it might seem a lot better looking back depending on what its setting up.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say, the beginning took me by surprise. I guess, with the title, a fakeout was needed. The fact that it was almost cliched made me a bit worried, so I'm glad to see Matt up and kicking (obviously, I'd be glad to see that either way). That villain was creepy and unsettling. Combined with Elektra appearing at the end, there's a bit of a fever dream quality to the whole thing.

There are some interesting moments, but it was also over so quickly. Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say all this as a fan of Soule's run.

The last two issues had some really questionable stuff that Matt was saying and doing, but this one...

So Matt Murdock, who is practically a ninja master at this point, gets run over by a truck that was easily avoidable. He almost dies and requires surgery...

Doesn't matter because he's now Wolverine.

Enemy throwing a knife can't be Bullseye because... Bullseye. Uses. Guns.

So when we first learned how Matt got his secret identity back, I thought it was established by his conversation with Foggy that once he tells someone that they then remember everything. Between that pointless Defenders series and this issue, thats not the case. "Oh you're really Daredevil! I should have know all along, doh dee doh! I still don't remember anything true about our relationship/friendship/adventures/teamups."

I'm happy Soule is on his way out. 4 months ago, I couldn't imagine typing that. I just wish he wasn't doing this stupid death gimmick on his way out the door.

The art in this issue was phenomenal though.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the people he revealed his identity to in this issue had any personal interaction with him previously. They wouldn't necessarily have learned his identity when it was publicly revealed. I would expect Frank would have because he's a New Yorker. I expect Reader probably didn't know or care. So the question is Doug. I assume Doug wasn't dead at the time Waid's run was coming out so I'm guessing he might have had some awareness but I don't necessarily think Daredevil's secret identity would be a story everyone knew. It feels closer to celebrity gossip, which many people know but sometimes people manage to miss a story.

DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was all over the tabloids for over a year before he actually walked into a court and fully outed himself, making the news everywhere again. Frank and Doug would've known who he is in their world. That said, if it was just these d-list guys in the DD book, I probably wouldn't have a huge problem, but with Luke, Danny, and Jessica's reactions in Defenders it paints a picture of Soule and Marvel having no clue how to properly deal with the repercussions of how his identity became secret again.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
I say all this as a fan of Soule's run.

The last two issues had some really questionable stuff that Matt was saying and doing, but this one...

So Matt Murdock, who is practically a ninja master at this point, gets run over by a truck that was easily avoidable. He almost dies and requires surgery...

Doesn't matter because he's now Wolverine.

Enemy throwing a knife can't be Bullseye because... Bullseye. Uses. Guns.

So when we first learned how Matt got his secret identity back, I thought it was established by his conversation with Foggy that once he tells someone that they then remember everything. Between that pointless Defenders series and this issue, thats not the case. "Oh you're really Daredevil! I should have know all along, doh dee doh! I still don't remember anything true about our relationship/friendship/adventures/teamups."

I'm happy Soule is on his way out. 4 months ago, I couldn't imagine typing that. I just wish he wasn't doing this stupid death gimmick on his way out the door.

The art in this issue was phenomenal though.
Matt being hit by a car was stupid and a waste of panel time..But Matt came back from war worse injuries in Ann Nocenti's run through a form of mental healing so him healing so quickly from his injuries didn't bother me too much.

I think I could count how many times Bullseye has used a gun. The dude's preference is throwing anything he can get his hands on. Mainly sharp objects. Hopefully the next creative team does a better job. Diggle, Waid and Soule has DD in a slump in my opinion.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of odd reading this issue the same day I saw the first episode of Daredevil's third season.

I have no idea where this is going, and I'm trying not to be prejudiced by the arc's title. With that in mind, I thought this was a very interesting issue.

Phil Noto's art is the star. He elevates this content in a way no other artist could.

I thought the car accident was fine. Matt would push that kid out of the way of the car. I think the point of the car accident was to change Matt's approach to life. I like how the surgical team emphasized how there was no "in case of emergency" contact, which stresses how much he has been pushing everyone away.

What does this new approach to life mean? Well, Matt wants to kidnap Wesley. Do I like that? Not really. Matt Murdock is an ethical guy. Yes, he is a costumed vigilante, but he upholds the law. This is too "the ends justify the means" of him. This is flat-out violating the law, and he's not making any bones about it. Still, near-death experiences change people, so I'm willing to see where this goes.

The scary guy in the priest robes really got under my skin. I want to find out so much more about that guy. And the Elektra appearance was a great cliffhanger. I gave this a four.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcarr1991 wrote:
On a slightly more nitpicky note, i didnt like how he ruled out bullseye as the guy who threw that bone knife because “bullseye uses guns.” Surely thats missing the point of bullseye entirely. He uses anything and everything.

Very true. What an odd thing for Soule to write. He surely could have written anything else. Editor Devin Lewis should have had something to say about that.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I was kind of odd reading this issue the same day I saw the first episode of Daredevil's third season.

Tis the season for deaths of Daredevil/Matt Murdock, I guess. It's really a coincidence that the book club is doing Fall From Grace but reading the letters page for that, they definitely marketed it as Matt Murdock dying and being replaced by a new Daredevil. I believe after Shadowland they took the same approach by suggesting Daredevil was going to die (with T'Challa being the Man Without Fear).

That being said, I have no idea where it's going to go. The title could be a fakeout, it could be a literal death. Only time will tell.

Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four stars. Enjoyable start to the arc, but I agree it felt out of left field and a tonal shift to “well, there’s only four issues left, so let’s move!” The Vigil has a striking visual design, and I like the bone weapons. Yeah, there was the mistake with Bullseye (he likes using guns to kill, he doesn’t need guns to kill) that should have been caught, but I don’t think it ruined the story or anything.

Dimetre wrote:
I thought the car accident was fine. Matt would push that kid out of the way of the car.

Me too; I thought it was clear Matt had only time to choose himself or the kid getting out of the way, and he chose the kid, which is exactly in character.

Dimetre wrote:
What does this new approach to life mean? Well, Matt wants to kidnap Wesley. Do I like that? Not really. Matt Murdock is an ethical guy. Yes, he is a costumed vigilante, but he upholds the law. This is too "the ends justify the means" of him. This is flat-out violating the law, and he's not making any bones about it.

I thought that was weird too, not because he was all for vigilantism but because he was so excited about it, “Let’s break the law!” Normally he tries to be a little smoother with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: