Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #1 by Zdarsky and Checchetto
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #1 by Zdarsky and Checchetto Reply with quote

What does everyone think? I'm surprised they are doing a relaunch right away (only a few months after this volume ends).
I thought they would drag it out, considering the Man Without Fear mini.
Marco Checchetto we know well from Daredevil around the Shadowland arc with Andy Diggle, and Chip Zdarsky I only know from Sex Criminals... how is his writing? He did that Star-Lord series where DD guest-starred, right?

Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Man Without Fear mini is weekly is January, which makes it tricky to drag out.

I wish they at least waited until after that was released to announce the new team (so, given the way solicits work, it would probably have been an April relaunch). Or maybe make TMWOF bi-weekly and let it start before the new series is launched if they were worried about having too long of a gap without Daredevil.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It better be Matt under the mask and not Blindspot or Mike Murdock.
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:

I never even considered that but it feels exactly like something that could happen :/ if it does i can see myself lasting maybe five issues and then giving up.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that Chip Zdarsky is writing, because I know him more as a funny guy. The only comic I have of his is an issue of Howard the Duck that ties in with The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. Obviously if I am a regular Squirrel Girl reader, I don't have a problem with funny, but I don't want Daredevil to be dominated by humour.

Of course, the only thing I read of Charles Soule's was the first few issues of his She-Hulk run, which was very irreverent. I compared it to Ally McBeal at the time. So I was worried he was going to bring that same irreverence to Daredevil, but he didn't. So maybe Zdarsky is going to do something completely different this time.

A less surprising pick would have been Matthew Rosenberg or Gary Duggan, but I'm willing to see what Zdarsky does. As for Marco Checchetto, I remember liking his previous Daredevil work during Andy Diggle's run. He's a very talented artist.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see an image with DD holding a sword. It looks like Blindspot in the costume. I'm not reading it if that's the case.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also... anybody else recognize that sword DD is carrying in the teaser? In my opinion it looks like the sword he was using when he teamed with father Jordan. Also his eyes are glowing with what looks like magic. I see it similar to Blindspot's eyes after he had them pulled and worked with the Hand. I am almost willing to bet the farm the new DD series will feature Sam in the suit. The image I saw had DD looking pretty skinny and a bit young in the mask, definitely not with the angry chin. I just don't know why Soule would set his pet up and put him in the suit. Sam is still massively under developed and DD's sales from what I heard aren't exactly stellar. This is just s theory tho.
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
I see an image with DD holding a sword. It looks like Blindspot in the costume. I'm not reading it if that's the case.

The new image associated with dd #1 seems to indicate that he has a radar sense so maybe we are just getting matt back straight away.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I haven't seen it. But I wonder if it's just cover art.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone read Zdarsky's run on Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man?
Cropsy Cryptkeeper
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
I agree I really hope it's not Blindspot or Mike Murdock, they almost seem like red herrings though; but at the end of the day only Matt as DD please.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in light of the conclusion of the death of Daredevil what are some your predictions for the next arc?
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
So in light of the conclusion of the death of Daredevil what are some your predictions for the next arc?

I do think he is actually dead and will stay dead for a while but the ending was just vague enough that the series in January could end by revealing he survived and the next volume will just pick up with matt back in the reigns absolutely fine. I don’t think it will but I wouldn’t be surprised either.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a new writer is announced to take over Daredevil, I go out and pick up some of that writer's previous work. When Ed Brubaker was announced, I picked up the first few issues of his Captain America run. (I was overjoyed by what I read.) When Andy Diggle was announced, I picked up Batman: Confidential. (I was worried.) When Mark Waid was announced, I went back and re-read some of his Captain America run. (I personally think he surpassed that with his Daredevil run.) When Charles Soule was announced, I picked the first trade of his She-Hulk run. (I was unsure what to think.)

The only work written by Chip Zdarsky I had read before he was announced as Daredevil's new writer was a single issue of Howard the Duck, and I suspected that wouldn't serve as a proper sample of what he would bring to this title. So I went out and picked up Into the Twilight, which collects the first six issues of his Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man run. After reading it, I don't know at all what to expect.

Zdarksy shared the news of the announcement on Facebook by saying that Daredevil is his "all-time favourite title". If he's telling the truth, then he knows that he can't write Matt Murdock as the pop-culture-reference dropping chatterbox he made Peter Parker. He seems smart enough to realize he has to treat Matt differently. And yes, I still think Daredevil is going to be Matt, even after I just read #612.

When I read Soule's She-Hulk, I was put off by the irreverent tone. I described it as a super-strong Ally McBeal. Zdarsky's Peter Parker has a similar irreverent tone, but it shows a strong sense of story, and the characters each feel unique. Black Widow shows up at the end of the first issue and attacks Spidey, all while not uttering a single word to him while he speaks 869. She acts mysterious and true to character, which shows that Zdarsky knows how to do things other than make people laugh.

But the sixth issue is notable for just focusing on two characters -- Peter and J. Jonah Jameson. There is so much history between these two, and Zdarsky is respectful of all of it. The emotions between the two range from resentment, contempt, grudging respect, awe... it's great character work. It's probably going to finish inside a lot of people's top comic issues of the 2018.

One thing I know for sure -- Zdarsky's Daredevil is going to feel completely different from Soule's Daredevil, and that's fine with me. I hope it's not as irreverent as his Howard the Duck or Peter Parker, but I'll give it a chance.

Last edited by Dimetre on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a more serious book that could serve as a model, he also wrote the new Marvel Two-in-One. There's a lightness to that story but also some dark undertones and themes.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: