Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

mini series in current continuity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thennings
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: mini series in current continuity Reply with quote

With "Man Without Fear" starting next week, I am trying to come up with a list of other mini's like it. A mini series that is part of it's current story continuity of the time; a series that could have just as easily been numbered as part of the ongoing rather than as a limited series. All I have so far is Shadowland, Reborn, and the upcoming Man Without Fear. Any others?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to think that Daredevil/Spider-Man by Paul Jenkins and Phil Winslade is considered in continuity, since the Kingpin is suffering from the blindness caused by Echo in "Parts of a Hole."

As for other minis like the excellent and often neglected Daredevil: Redemption, there's really no reason to consider it outside of the continuity. As for Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.'s Man Without Fear, I feel I have to choose between it and the main series in regards to certain details about Matt's origin and Elektra's character, and in the end I prefer the main series. Elektra is just less crazy in Miller's initial run, and therefore more empathetic.

I don't think much about the highly regarded Daredevil: Yellow, since it changes very little from the first six issues of the main series, so why not consider it canon? The only reason not to is because you don't want to consider Foggy stupid enough to propose marriage to a woman he hasn't even taken out on a date yet.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dimetre. Weirdly though my favorite Elektra is the one in Elektra Assassin. She's arguably the most crazy but also the most empathetic. Somehow.

Dark Nights could have been published in the main series as well.

Also, the inverse of your question (i.e. what main books are actually mini-series) there's always Echo: Vision Quest which was essentially an Echo mini-series that was published as issues of Daredevil Vol. 2 for no apparent reason.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider Daredevil Yellow to be mostly in continuity, if that makes sense. There are few contradictions and some of the changes are an improvement, so I'm fine with those (also, the Foggy proposal thing is in the original stories as well, so I can't fault Yellow there). Likewise, I would say it's fair to say The Man Without Fear is semi-canon. Elements of the story have been explicitly incorporated into continuity in other stories while other elements (such as Matt going to Harvard) are generally ignored.

The Elektra stuff is complicated. I too like the original Elektra. I will say, while it's not a good story, Elektra: Root of Evil does a good job of reconciling the original story with Elektra: Assassin. Speaking of, Elektra: Assassin is in-continuity although it seems quite a bit didn't happen as we saw it. Elektra Lives Again is not canon (this was explicitly stated by Marvel, but it also doesn't really fit).

I'm trying to think of any examples of miniseries that haven't been taken. As far as I know, Daredevil Ninja is in-continuity.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
thennings
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good discussion, thanks for the input. I'm looking for a more specific answer. Not just series that are cannon, but series that were published in chronological order with the main title. "Reborn" was released between two volumes and connect the stories. It looks like "Man without Fear" will do the same; connect the "death" to the new volume. "Shadowland" of course was part of the main story continuity and had to be read with the main title. Are there any others like that?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the about Black Panther: Man Without Fear? Where Black Panther moved to Hell's Kitchen in the wake of Shadowland. That series even adopted DD's numbering.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it did, it wasn't included in the count for Legacy numbering.

thennings
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a good way to reframe my question: is there anything you feel should have been including in legacy numbering that wasn’t?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider the Black Panther stories to be part of Daredevil, but I'd probably have included it in the Legacy numbering since it would be consistent with Captain America including the Tales of Suspense numbering even though Captain America wasn't in that book for quite a while (I think Thor was the same way as well, if I'm not mistaken).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: