Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #1 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #1?
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best issue of Daredevil in a looooooong time.
Best looking issue of Daredevil since the last time Checchetto did the art.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 stars. Awesome first issue. Chip Zdarsky, Marco Checchetto, Sunny Gho, Julian Totino Tedesco, and everyone else involved should be very proud of putting their best foot forward with such a strong start. I’m also happy to see that Clayton Cowles is still lettering Daredevil as I think he’s one of the best letterers in comics. As for any similarities to the Netflix show, well, the show was based on the previous comics, so IMHO it’s really more of a matter of things coming full circle due to both drawing on the same source material.

DDfan17 wrote:
This was a great issue. I’m new to Daredevil and comics but I really enjoyed the story and art.

Welcome! You are in the spot I was in at the start of Soule’s run.

DDfan17 wrote:
I have a feeling the next few issues are going to be full of a lot of Catholic guilt.

Agreed, if he really killed the thug, oh, that is going to crush Matt.

DDfan17 wrote:
I got the comiXology issue. Loved the directors cut extras.

The extras are great! I was expecting like half a page of a sketch or something, but instead I was very impressed with all the material they included with the variant cover gallery, full script, all the art pages with and without coloring, and the character designs. Well worth the money!

DDfan17 wrote:
BTW... Matt took pain killers with alcohol. And then spent a lot of energy *ahem* “entertaining” his lady friend. No one he was having trouble with the burglars and jumping around rooftops. LOL

Oh, I know! That’s like a template of what not to do before athletic activity LOL. On another note, I couldn’t help but notice that she looked a lot like Elektra does, and Matt has orchids in his loft...

macjr33 wrote:
I think the young Robert Redford inspired look for Matt is a great one.

I love how distinctive it makes him. It’s nice to easily pick him out of a crowd. I also loved the slight design tweaks to Matt’s classic red suit, showing how the compression top, cargo pants and pull on boots are all distinct separate pieces and how the mask is foldable but still has structure as shown on the last page. My favorite was using the boxing handwraps instead of the boxing shorts to honor Jack. I was so happy to see that Checchetto chose to do that. The problem with the shorts is frequently they’d blend into the rest of Matt’s outfit; the handwraps don’t have this problem, and they are unique and meaningful to Matt, which is perfect for a superhero costume. This is definitely my favorite suit.

macjr33 wrote:
We are not that far removed from him being mayor so I imagine he would be recognizable and he was quite recognizable even before that within Hell's Kitchen.

Not everyone keeps up with the news, so, yeah, I buy it, especially because he was an emergency mayor for such a small period of time.

lcarr1991 wrote:
I’ve always liked the idea of matt having a priest he can confide inas a supporting character and thought in the last volume it was going to happen with father jordan but then he turned into a space knight and that went out the window. Maybe this priest will come back and establish himself in the books as a way for matt to keep an eye on his own morality when foggy isnt able to fill that role.

I’d enjoy if he came back. While it’s more realistic for Matt to talk to multiple priests since they do get moved around by the archdioceses, from a supporting cast standpoint for the book, it would be better if they stuck with one guy as Matt’s priest as writers would really be able to flesh out that relationship over the long term.

Daredevil24 wrote:
I already like Cole North!

Mike Murdock wrote:
I do think a cop that doesn't like superheroes is well-worn.

lcarr1991 wrote:
I like the idea of the cop. I’m hoping he turns out to be something like tritter from house season 3. His motives are personal rather than professional and he singles out house. Tritter ignores the good house can do and the lives that will be lost if house goes to jail. He cares less about the greater good and is solely focussed on his personal vendetta and house keeps doing just enough bad stuff for tritter to feel justified and continue to tell himself he’s the hero. I’d love a story like that for daredevil and to be fair, if he did kill that man that could be how this plays out.

I like Cole too, even if I agree that he’s not the most original character. It will be interesting to see if he’s a good but misguided cop (Who are the superheroes in Chicago? I want to say Nighthawk, but he died, and Nightshade assumed his mantle. Did she go back there after Occupy Avengers ended?) or if he has something shadier going on. He should be a good foil for Matt either way.

lcarr1991 wrote:
I’m not fully convinced he did though. It’s just too huge for the character which makes me think they may walk it back and say that fisk or even the cop killed him to frame dd. We’ll see.

We will. Like you, I’m skeptical that Marvel would let Matt start offing people. Is it possible that one of the other two thugs did it inadvertently during the fight? Or that he had a pre-existing condition that contributed?

Dimetre wrote:
I don't think I've been this excited about the Daredevil comic since Volume 3. I did not expect this from Chip Zdarsky.

Dimetre wrote:
Zdarsky just flat-out gets Matt and gets Daredevil.

Clearly, he was not kidding that Daredevil is his favorite book. IMHO this issue was miles better than his previous superhero work. He may like writing humor, but drama is his true forte.

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
I'm not completely sold on the art.

RGdesigner wrote:
Best looking issue of Daredevil since the last time Checchetto did the art.

Dimetre wrote:
What more can be said about Marco Checchetto's art. I, too, hope he stays with the title for a long time, but I don't know how quickly he can turn out an issue. Maybe he'll do an arc, and then another artist will do the next one, and he'll return. Kind of like Ron Garney during the last volume.

Apparently Checchetto made the monthly deadline fine on Old Man Hawkeye, so hopefully he can maintain it. I will say that if he can’t keep up, I hope the alternate(s) are more consistent than in Soule’s run. While I personally enjoyed all the different artists last volume, I know that most people did not LOL, and Checchetto's work is so magnificent it will be a hard act to follow.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apart from some nice interaction between young Matt and his Dad - then the line about Foggy and the moving van (which were both really nice touches) there wasn't that much here for me. The dialogue seemed a bit stilted in places. The art, generally fine, also seemed a bit off kilter on some of the action scenes. I was a bit underwhelmed by the full page costume reveal too if truth be told.

Its not particularly surprising however, and I've nothing particularly against the new creative team. As first issues go it certainly looks like it could all be a couple of steps up from the last few years at least. But it won't be enough to keep me coming back for more, despite the hype and glowing reviews.

I'm obviously getting too long in the tooth to be getting completely enthused by this stuff, as I tend to just dip in and out of the book these days with the last truly enjoyable time spent reading it being as far back as Bendis/Maleev, and thats now waaaaaay back, with maybe some of those very early Waid efforts coming pretty close too.

Darn. Can't even start a new 'bring back Becky Blake' campaign these days, since Bru did exactly that. Thanks for listening Ed. Still didn't like the run much tho'.

Ah well, I've still got those lovely Masterwork and Omnibus collections to look forward to. And that wonderful day either Miller or Nocenti return to the character (has to happen).
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get some nostalgia with writers like Miller or Nocenti, feel free to post in the Daredevil book club where we're currently in the middle of the Elektra Saga.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
If you want to get some nostalgia with writers like Miller or Nocenti, feel free to post in the Daredevil book club where we're currently in the middle of the Elektra Saga.

Thanks Mike - I drop by here from time to time and often check out the book club threads. I'll keep an eye out for 'em!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: