Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #2 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #2?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
100%
 100%  [ 6 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #2 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #2 by Zdarsky, Checchetto and Gho ships February 27th and here's a preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-002

Please use thread for all discussion!
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so in this issue we got assurances that the mans death wasn’t fisks doing and although the story seems to be instilling doubt in matt it also went to great lengths to point out that matt is virtually incapable of killing someone by mistake. He’s just too competent. Plus a big enough chunk of the issue is narrated by cole and he seems to sincerely believe that dd did it thereby confirming coles innocence. Now I don’t know what to think. It could be the owl or mr. Fear or another of his rogues and that’d make a cool surprise, especially if it’s someone we havn’t seen in a long time but i just don’t see it happening. Very curious at the moment.

And then there’s the last few panels. Cole was built up earlier to be a real threat but even that coupled with matts weakened state, i just can’t picture a non-powered guy landing a shot on matt. He’s evaded bullseye for decades. This felt a little like zdarsky needed matt in custardy but couldn’t be bothered to think of a satisfying way to make it happen. 2 cops snuck up on him by accident n then shot him down? 600 issues of daredevil have taught me that that can’t happen.

That’s only a minor gripe in anotherwise steller issue however. 4/5
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the original The Man Without Fear mini-series, Frank Miller has a young Matt Murdock kick a woman out of a window on impulse. It was an accident, but a reckless one that seemingly resulted in someone's death and the story had him live with his guilt from then on. The story was of dubious continuity status for a while until J.M. DiMatteis definitively brought it into the story while having Matt learn to forgive himself from the accident. Then we had Joe Kelly come in and not just have Matt forgive himself for what was an accidentally death, but absolve himself of it entirely.

The point I'm making is there seems to be this tension with Daredevil on this issue of whether he has killed before. He has quite clearly killed and, with the exception of Shadowlands, it's either excused or justified. This death here would be a justified homicide for anyone else. He was trying to stop a violent crime, he wasn't using deadly force, and then those who were perpetrating a crime fought back and one ended up dying. The difference is Daredevil is usually better than this. He knows how to not use enough force to kill. I'm glad the story isn't holding back and trying to excuse him when his intentions and actions would be the same regardless of whether he was the one who caused the death.

That being said, I love that Matt can't accept that. It's clearly a part of his character. He had a moment where his guilt caused him to be Matt Murdock again, but then he quickly went back to Daredevil.

There was a moment where the doctor said that Matt should have been a doctor. It's a nice moment and a callback to Jack Murdock telling Matt to be a lawyer or a doctor. But it also says something serious. Jack didn't want Matt to be a fighter. The idea is the doctor is calling back to that. He could have followed his father's wishes and been a lawyer or a doctor, but vigilante was clearly over the line and he's living with those consequences.

Four and a Half Stars. It's a bit slower and less impactful, but still quite good.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda hoping the guy actually died on accident. I don't care for a juicy set-up-- I think it'd be a bit of a cop-out. It's been two issues in a row that Daredevil has been beaten down by people beneath him, and while his injuries are mostly to blame, I really hope it isn't a regular theme like in DD season 3. All in all, I'm loving the tone and direction of the series. It's been awhile since I've enjoyed Daredevil in comics. Haven't really been this hyped since Brubaker's early run.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying how Zdarsky is playing with our desire to have Matt absolved of culpability in this man's death. I just have to ask the lawyers on this site: If Matt were found guilty, wouldn't they have difficulty making a murder charge stick? They aren't going to be able to prove intent to kill. I think they could make a manslaughter charge stick, but not murder.

I'm warming up to Cole North, especially since he doesn't buy Fisk's bull. I'm sure Zdarsky has an entire backstory for Cole he's going to spill on us at some point, and I'm sure it's going to explain how driven he is to put Daredevil, then Fisk behind bars.

As for how Daredevil was less surgical when fighting Leo Carraro, I thought it was well established that Daredevil wasn't at 100%, and that was why those criminals were able to get the drop on him. Now, in this issue, Daredevil thinks to himself, "It took me a while to bounce back from my injuries, but I did." Now it seems Zdarsky is leaving Daredevil's collision with the truck firmly in the past.

Which makes it hard for me, as well, to buy that Detective North was able to hit Daredevil with that bullet. If we had seen something messing with Daredevil's senses, then maybe, but I couldn't buy this. It's not a satisfying cliffhanger.

But I'm really enjoying Zdarsky and Checchetto's first issues. I'm firmly on board. I gave this a four.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I'm really enjoying how Zdarsky is playing with our desire to have Matt absolved of culpability in this man's death. I just have to ask the lawyers on this site: If Matt were found guilty, wouldn't they have difficulty making a murder charge stick? They aren't going to be able to prove intent to kill. I think they could make a manslaughter charge stick, but not murder.

It seems like manslaughter more than murder. In fact, it could be a justified homicide under the circumstances as long as the force wasn't excessive. The biggest thing against him is that he's normally capable of not using excessive force. It's also possible to argue that the amount of force implied an intent to kill (I think it's dubious, but that would be the theory).

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the start to this book so far! Zdarsky really seems to understand Matt and what makes him tick. I am also enjoying the tone that he is setting, makes me feel really nervous for Matt in a way I probably haven't felt since reading Bendis/Brubaker's run on the book.

I am really curious to see if Matt really did kill him or if its another one of his rogues. Also, could be the new character Cole.

Art also continues to be fantastic.

Mike Murdock wrote:

There was a moment where the doctor said that Matt should have been a doctor. It's a nice moment and a callback to Jack Murdock telling Matt to be a lawyer or a doctor. But it also says something serious. Jack didn't want Matt to be a fighter. The idea is the doctor is calling back to that. He could have followed his father's wishes and been a lawyer or a doctor, but vigilante was clearly over the line and he's living with those consequences.

This was pershaps my favorite part of the issue and further proves Zdarsky's understanding of Matt.

4/5 for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: