Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club - Never Look Back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, for this thread's namesake.

Daredevil Vol. 1 #362 - Never Look Back

Quote:
Karen worries as Matt continues to obsess over the Black Widow; Rosalind warns Foggy away from Liz; DD saves Rosalind from an attack by a mob goon and then tags along as she visits the gangster responsible, a man from her checkered past.

Due 5/12

This issue is not yet available in trade, but will be collected in trade June 18.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this issue sitting in my collection for a long, long time. I must have read it before, but obviously I've remembered none of it.

Rosalind "Razor" Sharpe hasn't made an appearance in a Marvel Comic (to my knowledge) since "Parts of a Hole," and that's close to two decades ago. She only existed as a character for a few years, but I think this issue shows that she had enormous potential. Until this issue she simply came off as a reprehensible woman. This issue shows you how she got that way.

As a lawyer, Razor has always been fearless and tough as nails, and she had to be. Her cleverness is a surprise to even Matt, and there seems to be some genuine affection between her and Billy Grippo, as demented as they both may be. In this issue we get to see some admirable qualities in Razor for the first time.

Still, there are deficits in her personality that make her someone you love to hate. She continues to be disrespectful to both Foggy and Matt. She openly criticizes people's significant others' to their partners' faces. Every word she speaks and move she makes seems designed to her own gain.

Both of these positive and negative traits show her to be a very nuanced character. She could have been the J. Jonah Jameson of Daredevil, and that would have been great. Instead she's gone. What likely happened was that those involved in the Marvel Knights relaunch did not recognize what they had in Razor, and let her fade away into barely a memory.

It honestly doesn't seem that hard to bring her back. She's still Foggy's mother, and is probably still a presence in the legal community. If Foggy and Matt are in a bind, she could probably pop in and offer her assistance, with considerable stings attached naturally. Having now reread this issue, I'd enjoy that.

As for the other plots, the opening dream scene with Black Widow seems to exist for no other reason than to remind us that we're in a post-Onslaught Marvel Universe. Razor's meeting with Karen is puzzling. All the two ladies do is talk about Matt, but I suspect that Razor is aiming to get at Wilson Fisk through Karen, if only to sell him her services. Sure enough, she would represent Fisk in "Parts of a Hole." None of that is on the page in this issue, though.

The development of Razor Sharpe's character is the best thing about this issue, and was a great surprise. I give this issue a four out of five.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue starts off as pretty much a direct continuation of the character work last issue with Matt being afraid Natasha is going to go around murdering people because she's lost her way with the death of the Avengers. That being said, it doesn't really follow up on it. Quite a bit feels like stalling. We get a flashback for little reason. Foggy and Liz hang out together. Rosalind yells at Foggy for his dating choices.

We finally get to the meat of the story when someone tries to kill Rosalind. I have to say, as bad as Deuce is, it was great to see him get involved. Luckily, Rosalind doesn't let this phase her so she takes Karen out for lunch. She's undoubtedly a powerful person and part of it comes down to how ruthless she is. The legal profession, especially for the era she would have come up in, was not kind to women. In fact, there are plenty of areas of the law where it's still pretty bad. I think it's a good opportunity to explore just what could make a woman succeed in the Boston legal field of that time.

The big suggestion is that she had mob ties and that she possibly murdered someone to get out of it. Overall, there are many explanations suggested, but I like that things still feel a bit ambiguous. Either way, it was a good character study to a new character who needed a bit more attention. I've always liked this character. It's a shame how quickly she got written out of the book after Kesel and Kelly left.

I'll go Four Stars. There's a lot of what feels like filler, but I still appreciate the story quite a bit because it takes some time to explore Rosalind's character and demonstrate the story potential there.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you like to see Rosalind Sharpe return to Daredevil's life?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would. I don't necessarily think they should be in the same partnership, but an attorney from another firm or just long-term storytelling and character interaction with Foggy would be fun.

Actually, I've though before of a story idea for Daredevil (that is mostly obsolete at this point). One of the ideas was a sideplot with Foggy where he needed an attorney. I just realized Rosalind would be the perfect fit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: