Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #7 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #7?
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #7 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #7 by Zdarsky, Sharma, Leisten and Tartaglia ships June 19th and here's the cover and preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-007

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships![/img]
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two stories going on.

Matt's story is really good here. He's both on a break from Daredevil and on a break as an attorney. But I like that he's in a position to help people. That being said, it's a kick in the teeth when he finds out the person who he killed when trying to stop a robbery was this kid's brother.

The Kingpin, on the other hand, is divesting from organized crime. Honestly, that was the impression I actually got from the end of Soule's run anyway, but they're making it clear that it's happening now. I'm curious what his motivations are and what his bigger plans are.

Four and a Half Stars. This issue is really good, although it is a talking issue without much else.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is an excellent issue.

Matt's character goes through an interesting journey from page to page. He starts out completely content, but then can't reconcile his present with his past. The final page shows him doing everything he can to atone what he now sees as his past sins.

That's in strong contrast to Fisk's journey. He now feels he has accomplished all he can as the Kingpin, and is ready for an entirely different challenge. Fisk believes that "to be content is to be dead," and in order to survive he has to remove himself from his present comfort.

It's interesting that Fisk outright states "Daredevil is dead." He may actually believe that to be true, but it's an interesting statement considering Matt's contentment at this issue's opening. Matt was content, so therefore Matt was dead by Fisk's measure.

I don't know where we're going to end up with Cole's story, or the lady assuming Daredevil's role. I still think something bad is going to happen to her. I predict Cole is going to face off with Fisk. I'm enjoying what Chip Zdarsky is setting up.

If I have to nitpick anything, it's with the cast of characters in the vault. I don't know who Izzy Libris is, or Odan. Is Nero from the Santerians? (Joe Quesada is still credited with being Chief Creative Officer, so maybe.) As satisfied as I've been with Lalit Kumar Sharma's work, I would have appreciated some more detail. I think there may have been one drawing of Hammerhead, but I couldn't know for sure it was him.

That didn't stop me from giving this issue a perfect score.
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think i’m in the minority here but this run is starting to fall a little flat. This is probably just me and doesn’t really reflect the writing or anything but it feels like every issue so far has been mostly set up of things to come and when those things happen they’re relegated to small sections of the issues which are focussing primarily with setting up more things to come. I may be totally off base but the general feeling for me so far this run has been that its heavy on teasing stuff and light on actually delivering. Maybe that will change and i guess plenty has actually happened so far but the pay offs just havn’t seemed particularly worth it.
deny
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
I am new to the board.
I feel underwhelmed with the past few issues both with the story and the art. This may be due to my high expectations.
Fingers crossed things will get better.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't read the newest issue because I was so underwhelmed by the last issue. Also the art is massive decrease in quality compared to the former.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcarr1991 wrote:
Think i’m in the minority here but this run is starting to fall a little flat. This is probably just me and doesn’t really reflect the writing or anything but it feels like every issue so far has been mostly set up of things to come and when those things happen they’re relegated to small sections of the issues which are focussing primarily with setting up more things to come. I may be totally off base but the general feeling for me so far this run has been that its heavy on teasing stuff and light on actually delivering. Maybe that will change and i guess plenty has actually happened so far but the pay offs just havn’t seemed particularly worth it.
I agree. I think Soule started strong and then kept teasing something big after every arc and it just never felt like a good payoff. I loved the first few issues mainly because of the art. But after the Punisher fight I've been disappointed with this series.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
lcarr1991 wrote:
I agree. I think Soule started strong and then kept teasing something big after every arc and it just never felt like a good payoff. I loved the first few issues mainly because of the art. But after the Punisher fight I've been disappointed with this series.

I recommend you guys keep going and read number 8. If I remember correctly, both of you liked Bendis' run, so your problem with Zdarsky's run can't be waiting too long for pay-off following a set-up. I'm really enjoying Zdarsky's character work. I think he totally understands who Matt is, and that is the most important thing to me. This book is very interesting right now.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I recommend you guys keep going and read number 8. If I remember correctly, both of you liked Bendis' run, so your problem with Zdarsky's run can't be waiting too long for pay-off following a set-up. I'm really enjoying Zdarsky's character work. I think he totally understands who Matt is, and that is the most important thing to me. This book is very interesting right now.

As someone who is a huge fan of the Bendis run I would agree with this for sure. It definitely feels like Zdarsky is influenced quite a bit by both Bendis and Miller and I mean that in a good way!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macjr33 wrote:
As someone who is a huge fan of the Bendis run I would agree with this for sure. It definitely feels like Zdarsky is influenced quite a bit by both Bendis and Miller and I mean that in a good way!

The Book Club should be getting around to reviewing "Decalogue" soon, so I hope you take part!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I'm going to do one more Miller story next week since they're sort of related and then I'll go for Decalogue, which is an interesting story, to say the least.

macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
The Book Club should be getting around to reviewing "Decalogue" soon, so I hope you take part!

Mike Murdock wrote:
Yep. I'm going to do one more Miller story next week since they're sort of related and then I'll go for Decalogue, which is an interesting story, to say the least.

Sounds great, I will certainly try to take part. I know you reviewed a Golden Age and The Widow recently and while I don't think Golden Age is the strongest arc in Bendis' run The Widow is one of my favorites. I also like Decalogue quite a bit so I will try to take part to be provide the "pro-Bendis" point of view! Very Happy
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it. Look forward to it a week from Sunday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: