Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #16 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #16?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #16 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #16 comes out January 1st by Zdarsky, Fornes and Woodard.

Here's the cover by Julian Tedesco and the preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-016

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overwhelming majority of this issue is conversations. I suppose these conversations are necessary to set up action beats in the future, but conversations aren't really the best use of a visual medium like comic books. They're good conversations, and the characters are all well-depicted, but still....

Jorge Fornes returns for his second issue of Daredevil, and I really enjoyed his first one, so I was excited to see his name on the cover. This issue isn't as good a showcase for his talents as his previous one, which included Matt's rescue of Detective Cole from corrupt policemen. Fornes, however, does get four pages here to show Matt and Elektra breaking into the Stromwyns' server room, which is guarded by ninjas from a group called the Drifting. He does an amazing job with those four pages, although the double page spread did screw me up at first. I think it's a good idea, when laying out a two-page-spread, to have a panel or two spanning both pages so the reader knows to continue reading across the entire length. Still, I think Fornes has fantastic instincts as an artist.

Other than that, we only get a brief scene with Fisk. We only get a brief scene with Cole, who seems to be completing his character's journey. I expect him to be a valuable ally for Matt from this point on. We only get a brief scene with Izzy Libris, who seems to be growing painfully aware that she has no control over the criminal element in the Kitchen. All of these scenes are good. They're just short. Chip Zdarsky seems to feel the need to touch base in all these different settings within his story, but, again, they're nothing but conversations. I'm wondering if we really needed all of these scenes to be in this month's issue.

I have mentioned anything being wrong yet. If I have an issue with anything, it's just Matt's internal monologue where he mentions Mindy. The way things are, I don't know why he has any concern for her at this point. I think he's perfectly entitled to wash his hands of her, but I understand why he would harbour guilt over his conduct with her, and he's likely concerned for her safety, but as a reader.... I think he's well rid of her.

I also felt that this issue's ending just sort of petered out. I was surprised when I turned the page and found no more comic. Zdarsky has so far found strong cliffhangers for each issue. This issue doesn't have anything like that. The ending just poses the question of how virtuous Elektra's motives are. That isn't really fresh territory to explore.

Other than that, this issue is fine. It doesn't reach the heights of Zdarsky's previous Daredevil work, but that's hardly a knock. I gave this a three.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of quick moving scenes early on. The opening page with Foggy is well done. I love the moments of hesitation where he's torn between a duty to his friend and duty to his client. Obviously, he knows Matt's identity as well, but he brings it to the client's attention to see what the client wants to do.

The confrontation between Hammerhead and Ms. Libris is interesting, but also over far too briefly. Same with the conversation between Kingpin and Daredevil and Cole and his supervisor.

Probably the most time is Matt and Elektra. The conversation between Elektra and Matt at the beginning is interesting. The Purple Children's influence theoretically could make it harder for Elektra to recognize Matt in Daredevil, but it's worth pointing out that it was an instant recognition last time (although Matt was surprised enough he didn't try to disguise anything). I also don't think there's any way to read the final issues of Bendis's Defenders and not conclude that she knows his identity.

I really enjoyed the art in this issue. There's a lighter quality to it with bright colors that really shines. The orange and purple page when he's just listening and the page with the sillhouettes are great. My only complaint is one page goes across instead of down and it's hard to tell.

This was a fun issue and fairly brisk. We're several arcs in, but it's really just one story not a collection of arcs. The art was the real highlight here. Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: