Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #17 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #17?
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #17 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #17 ships February 5th and here's the cover and preview by Zdarsky, Fornes, Woodard and Tedesco!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-017

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic issue. Whenever Marco Checchetto is too busy, I'm more than happy to have Jorge Fornes fill in.

The opening scene between Matt and the mother of the man whose death Matt caused was enormously powerful. The mother's dialogue was beautiful. She will always feel pain from her son's death, but she knows what he was. She sees the amends Matt is working so hard to make, and that's why she forgives him. Fornes' silhouette of the two of them hugging made me well up. That doesn't happen a lot when reading superhero comics. Chip Zdarsky and Fornes started this issue off very strongly.

Izzy Libris' power play ended up with the murder of Hammerhead, which I never expected. Hammerhead may not be an A-list villain, but he's been present throughout Marvel Comics for decades. Has he died before? Will Marvel be diligent enough to have him be dead in other titles, or do they even care to do that anymore?

Marvel's visit with Sister Elizabeth was great. I actually feel like he has a more solid grasp of who he needs to be and what he has to do now, and as volatile as she is, I think Elektra has a lot to do with that.

Matt's confrontation of the Stromwyns at the masquerade ball was fantastic. The emptying out of the ballroom was so subtly done, I had to go back and check out when everyone else left. I love how everyone leaving was done in the background while the Stromwyns spoke more directly and openly about how they knew the man in front of them was Daredevil, and that they were entitled to pay off the police force to stop patrolling Hell's Kitchen. They're despicable people, who feel entitled to wield their wealth and influence like a machete, but they're glorious foils for both Matt and Wilson Fisk.

Matt's reaction to the emptying out of the ball and the attacks from the Stromwyn's goons shows that he is sticking to his plan and fighting smarter. I'm looking forward to finding out his next move.

The ending was a bit sudden, and the next cover doesn't match up with this issue's last word, but this issue made me very happy. I gave it a perfect score.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue felt repetitive.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

Izzy Libris' power play ended up with the murder of Hammerhead, which I never expected. Hammerhead may not be an A-list villain, but he's been present throughout Marvel Comics for decades. Has he died before? Will Marvel be diligent enough to have him be dead in other titles, or do they even care to do that anymore?

Is Hammerhead dead? He looked like he got shot in the head and his head is pretty durable. Assuming he is, I hope they reference his death and not bring him back unless they explain why. That's the most I can hope for these days.

My thoughts:

That was a heart felt opening. One of my favorite descriptions of Daredevil is the man who forgives his enemies. But, here, it's Matt Murdock who is in need of forgiveness. I'm glad to see him get it. I don't know if it's going to give him peace, but it's something he needs. Matt's defense to Foggy that he's "out" feels very much like Mark Waid's run where he was telling him that he's happy. Foggy is right that Matt has a bit of an addiction when it comes to the thrill-seeking of Daredevil. That being said, I'm always sad when they're on hostile terms.

The Stromwyns are terrifying. The casual power of wealth that they exhibit makes them extremely difficult to fight. While I think there's more to their Hells Kitchen plans, I also like the idea that it was something of complete indifference to them.

As always, this story continues to impress. Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Is Hammerhead dead? He looked like he got shot in the head and his head is pretty durable.

Good point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: