Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #18 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #18?
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #18 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #18 ships next week and here's the cover and preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-018

DAREDEVIL #18 by Zdarsky, Fornes, Woodard, Tedesco and Rivera ships February 19th.

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving this issue a perfect score, because everything was perfect up until that final splash page. I'm assuming, from left to right, that that image consists of Stilt Man, Rhino, Crossbones, Ox and Bullseye, but I'm obviously less than perfectly sure. The guy I think is Bullseye has what looks like his logo on his forehead, but he's wearing work pants, a plain black top, a vest for storing ammunition and gloves. Why the uniform change? And why, after all these decades, does he not know where Hell's Kitchen is? Also, my guess of Ox is just that, a total guess.

As for the rest of the issue, I loved it. The scene with the Libris family played out perfectly. Izzy Libris may be a crime lord, but she has a sense of honour, and she truly loves her family. I thought it was great that North motivated a bunch of cops to do their work and protect Hell's Kitchen. And because Matt isn't dressed like Daredevil, I loved how he was able to walk up to the gunman and just reach out and take his weapon, because he knew he didn't have it in him to kill a child.

Chip Zdarsky and Jorge Fornes seem to know deep in their marrow how to make an engaging comic book. They know how to pace pages, alternate between wide and close shots, switch the angles and lay out the pages in the most optimal way. If you have any ambition to get into the comics biz, you should be studying this run.

The Owl's characterization was a little different, but maybe that just comes down to Fornes drawing him differently than Checchetto does. Fornes' Owl seems less crazy and more refined. I don't know which depiction Zdarsky prefers. I just know I found the scene very shocking. I should have seen it coming, but I didn't.

And I love how the Stromwyns talk down to Fisk. He doesn't intimidate them at all. They're great villains.

So I gave it a perfect mark. I don't know what motivated Bullseye's costume change, and I'm not crazy about it, and I'm not sure who was standing beside him, but this has to be one of Daredevil's best runs ever, and I don't see it ending any time soon.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that this feels like a Cole story as much as anything else. This is the turning point where he decides to go from vigilante-hunter to work with Daredevil. The rescue is very feel good with everything happening smoothly. Unfortunately, things have to have a dark bitterness in response.

The Stromwyn part is just a cliffhanger. I'm really curious what will happen next. I do think they are losing their subtlety here, but it still could be a very dramatic moment. I was expecting Bullseye, not a whole army.

Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Rand
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Dimetre, for identifying Stilt Man; somehow, I couldn't recognize him! Now, to return the favor: the figure next to Bullseye is (not Ox but) Bullet.

If you don't recognize him, there's a reason: despite being a DD villain, he's made only one (small) appearance in "Daredevil" in the past, uh, nearly 30 years!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: