Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Hey, are you new here? Introduce yourself!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daredevil51
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey y'all new to these boards and huge DD fan! Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself

Miller/Janson Vol 1
Miller/Janson Vol 3
Miller/Janson Vol 2
Rascal
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Hi From the UK Reply with quote

Hi guys and girls,

I'm new to the boards but been collecting Daredevil comics (and MANY others) for as long as I can remember - at least 30 years.

I'm from England, a lifelong geek and comic fan.

Hope to get to know you all better Smile
Joslyn
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joslyn joining in. 37 from the Netherlands.
I've been collecting comics since Spawn #1 and stopped collecting around #197.
Being a big Miller (sin city) and Bendis (Powers/Jinx) fan I started reading the Miller Visionaries books and the Bendis run tpb's ending with the fabulous Brubaker run.
I just recently bought the Diggle tpb's and Shadowland to complete volume 2 and finish it with the End of days book (haven't read it yet).
After reading Manwithoutfear.com in the past I now joined to forum to read and talk with you guys if I should collect the Waid runs as well. I'll read you guys in those topics.
ednashirley
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Hi.... Reply with quote

Hi friends,
I am Edna. I am a web developer. I too much interested in comics.
Thank you Kuljit Mithra for adding me in this group. I am happy to be here Smile

Thank you Smile
RTR74
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Hey :) Reply with quote

Hello,

New to the boards. Great site!!! Ive been a DD fan since not long after learning to read over 30 years ago!! Looking forward to getting to know other DD admirers.
Aeschere
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for accepting me. During my youth I was a big fan of the animated x-men series. I must have watched them several times and loved all the characters and the whole universe. When I was a bit older I bought a few x-men comics but didn't really read much of them.
The passing years where spend with other interests in mind (going out, friends, girls, school and work) but the explosion of superhero movies and series rekindled my interest. Not enough to get into comics though but I really liked (most of, Amazing Spiderman 2...why!?) them.
And then came the Daredevil series. I wasn't very familiar with the character but I instantly liked the dark gritty world that was portrayed in the series. A bit like the Marvel version of the Dark Knight series (I am sure others made that comparison before). I really enjoyed the characters, both "good" and "evil" and my interest was sparked. I recently finished watching Jessica Jones that is set in the same world. Again, I loved it (and will also be looking forward in seeing more of Luke Cage) and wanted to know more about the world and the characters. Comics seemed to be the way to go but with all those series that are out it is a bit overwhelming. During my search I came across this website and it seemed to be just what I need! I am planning to pay a visit to the local comic book store to see what they have. In the mean time I have picked up the x-men comics again.

Just a bit of personal information: Aged 33 from the Netherlands.

Hopefully this is the start of a long and fulfilling journey.
Sciurid
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi, I've lurked here off and on for awhile, and just finally registered. I'm pretty new to the world of comics; I read Sandman, Maus, Lucifer, and Persepolis in college, and that was about it for a long time.

Flash forward a bit, and last April 10th, I ended up home on the couch, sick as a dog, and bored. I kept seeing people talking about Daredevil, because while I didn't read comics myself, my circle of friends and interests intersects it enough that it kept coming up. So, I gave it a shot. First episode, I thought "That was pretty fun. I'll watch another when I feel a little better." Got bored, that night I felt well enough to watch some more, and watched episode 2. By the end of it, I just sighed because I knew I'd have to watch the rest of the show. That show did what my husband and the Avengers movie couldn't; it got me to read superhero books.

I've read the better part of what's on Marvel Unlimited. I agree that Born Again is pretty perfect, and I really like the Bendis/Maleev into Brubaker stuff, though it seems like it'd be interminable darkness if you had to read it monthly. I don't hate Waid's run, and I think he had some nice psychological insights to the character, but it's not my favorite.

ETA: I'm looking forward to Soule's run on it, and if issue #4 is the feel for his DD, I'm very excited to see what else is in store.
russell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone
I've always liked Daredevil but considered myself a Spider-Man fan.

Last year I began my Daredevil journey, wanting to have read the Millar omnibus before the show began.

Fast forward to now and DD is my second favourite character of all time (ok, he's probably my favourite by now) I find him inspirational

Excited to be here with other DD fans
ManWithoutBeer
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Intro Reply with quote

Hi all- long time lurker, first time poster.

My DD fan origin:
I was 9 or 10 and at summer camp. There was a merit system as with many camps, and a little shop where, if you wanted, you could "spend" your merits. I'd been reading Hulk books here and there since I was 6, but at camp, I picked up Conan #166 and DD #219-220, which I read nonstop the rest of my 3 weeks there. This was the Miller/Buscema one-shot Broken Cross story and the O'Neil/Mazzuchelli "The Fog" issue- aka the death of Heather Glenn. Classics. That's called good luck.

Needless to say this was heavier stuff than what I had read before and I was enthralled immediately. After camp, my older brother passed along 179-181 and 185 from his collection, and the rest, as they say, is history. Born Again, in issue form, were some of the first monthly issues of the title I bought and read as they came out.

I've read the title pretty consistently since, taking some (in retrospect well-timed) breaks in the 90s. Since Vol. 2 I've been on the whole time, which has been a consistently good period IMO. Enjoyed reading the takes on Waid here. For me it was up and down, with the downs being pretty glaringly bad. Unfortunately Soule has been a real disappointment so far, although it is still early and I still think it can find its footing- maybe my hopes were too high going in. I have enjoyed some of his work on other titles. So while I'm disappointed, I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Anyway, looking forward to chatting on ol' hornhead with fellow fans. Thanks.
Sam 'Blindspot' Chung
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

Been lurking around the site for a couple years, but have officially joined the board!

I have been a DD fan since high school (when the Affleck movie came out). I very much look forward to spirited conversations about Ol' Hornhead and friends!

As you may have ascertained, I love DD's new sidekick.

Cheers!

Alex
dlai817
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I started reading Daredevil after watching season one of the amazing Netflix show. Loved the grittiness and down to earth heroics and dove right in! The Miller stuff is classic and have collected the Bendis run. Surprisingly actually enjoy the Waid run too (reading it on Marvel Unlimited) as he humanizes Matt in a less depressing way.

Live without fear!
Electus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, everyone.
I got into Daredevil after watching the (amazing) Netflix show. I bought Marvel Platinum the Definitive Daredevil and needless to I was hooked, I immediately wanted to read more. I've since read Frank Miller and Klaus Janson's run, Guardian Devil, Touch of Typhoid, Man Without Fear, and the excellent Born Again. I've yet to read Waid's run, but I'm going to seek out the 90s runs (Bendis and Brubaker) first.
While Hulk has always been my favourite character, Daredevil is now easily my number 2. I love the fact that he doesn't exactly have superpowers, nor is he a rich billionaire, he's just a man who kicks ass in the name of justice. The fact that he's a lawyer gives him an interesting daytime life, and his personal life is also interesting with his various romances and friendship with Foggy. Also Bullseye is easily my number 1 favourite villain with Kingpin not far behind. he's a dangerous formiddable foe, not just to Daredevil but other heroes too, and he actually wins his fair share of battles instead of the hero always winning. I love how he just revels in being evil and he's a blast to read.
I'm also collecting Soule's current run in trades. So far I've only read #1-5. I actually like Blindspot as a new character, the art is pretty good and I like the new costume. The writing isn't the best but I like what I've read so far and I hear it does get better. I was disappointed that the Tenfingers arc ended so abruptly, I thought they were going for a new villain, but I guess this was more of an opening chapter and there'll be newer better stuff soon.
kmcmanus2814
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm Kyle from Syracuse. I have enjoyed the site for a long time and decided to try and participate more.
First issue bought\read: DD #270 off the spinner rack at the local drug store. Been collecting ever since, have acquired everything back to #42 (including minis and one-shots but not all guest appearances). Very excited for the Stan Lee omnibus to fill in the rest.
Favorite run: obviously Miller, Waid, Nocenti, Kesel, Bru as they are all classics, but I think O'Neil is wildly underrated and I have a soft spot for the first year or so of Chichester.
Least favorite run: Diggle, no question. Such a good writer elsewhere but so bad on DD. And as much as I like early Chichester, the second half of his run... Well, the less said the better.
Most underrated run: O'Neil, but I'd give an honorable mention to Joe Kelly.
Most overrated run: Bendis. 'Nuff said..
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Once upon a time, younger me loved to read Batman. One day I heard that Marvel had a guy like Batman named Daredevil and picked up an issue about him. But after I read it, I thought it was boring, and I went back to my Batman comics.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I reluctantly started Daredevil’s Netflix show having been talked into it by a friend...and I was hooked as soon as the confessional scene began. I had no idea how wrong l was about the character, and I thought I have to start reading his comics.

And that issue that turned me off for so many years? From the little I can remember an Internet search says it's part of Bendis' run, so I will be cautious when I get there.
mghg
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! My name is Martin and I am from Sweden. I have a great interest for comics going back to my childhood days in the 70s. I started to read various Marvel comics during the second half of the 80s. Daredevil became one of my favourites when the first Frank Miller run were published in Swedish and I especially like the art by Klaus Janson in the end of that run. Born Again by Miller and David Mazzucchelli is in my opinion an 80s masterpiece on par with Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns, I have reread it many times and still think it is fantastic.

I lost interest in Marvel comics during the 90s and seems to me that I did not miss too much. The MCU movies made me interested in Marvel comics again, I learned about the Marvel Unlimited app two years ago and have since then tried to catch up. I very much like the runs by Bendis and Maleev and by Brubaker and Lark. However, I think good quality paper printing still is superior to the digital format and I have decided to restart my reading with the ultimate collections.

Thanks to postings on The Other Murdock Papers site, I have recently been thinking why I really like Daredevil and concluded that it primary is because Matt Murdock never gives up and second because of the moral ambiguity of being both a lawyer and a vigilante.

Some other of my favourite comics are Corto Maltese by Hugo Pratt, Love & Rockets by Los Bros Hernandez, and Valerian & Laureline by Jean-Claude Mézières and Pierre Christin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: