Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Brubaker/Diggle Era (2006-2010)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: DD Brubaker/Diggle Era (2006-2010) Reply with quote

Just in time for the bookclub, here's my map/collection for the Brubaker/Diggle era by story chronology:

Daredevil #81-87 ("The Devil in Cell-Block D")
Civil War #1-7 (Danny Rand DD)
New Avengers #22 (Danny Rand DD) Civil War
Cable & Deadpool #30-31 (Danny Rand DD) Civil War
Fantastic Four #539 (Danny Rand DD) Civil War
Civil War: Choosing Sides #1 (Danny Rand DD)
White Tiger #1-6 (Danny Rand DD)

Daredevil #88 ("The Secret Life of Foggy Nelson")
Daredevil #89-93 ("The Devil Takes a Ride")
Fallen Son: Death of Captain America #1
X-23: Target X #1-6

Daredevil Annual #1 ("Devil May Care")
Daredevil #94 ("Our Love Story")
Daredevil #95-99 ("To the Devil, His Due")
Daredevil #100-105 ("Without Fear")
Daredevil: Battlin Jack Murdock #1-4 [flashback]
Daredevil #106 ("Sympathy for the Devil")
Daredevil #107-110 ("Cruel & Unusual")
Amazing Spider-Man #565-567 ("Kraven's First Hunt")
Daredevil: Blood of the Tarantula #1
Daredevil #111-115 ("Lady Bullseye")
Daredevil/Captain America #1 ("Dead on Arrival")
Amazing Spider-Man: Extra! #1 ("The Spartacus Gambit")
Amazing Spider-Man #587 ("Character Assassination")
Deadpool: Suicide Kings #1-5
Astonishing Tales #4 ("Daredevil: Demons")
Wolverine: First Class #13-14 [flashback]

Daredevil #116-119, #500 ("The Return of the King")
New Avengers #59-60
Black Widow: Deadly Origin #3-4
Daredevil: Dark Reign - The List #1
Amazing Spider-Man #600
Daredevil #501-504 ("The Devil's Hand")
Daredevil #505-507 ("The Left Hand")

Sentry: Fallen Son #1
Daredevil: Cage Match #1
Daredevil: Black & White #1
Daredevil #508-512 ("Shadowland")
Daredevil: Reborn #1-4

Shadowland:
Shadowland #1-5
Shadowland: After the Fall #1
Shadowland: Blood on the Streets #1-4
Shadowland: Bullseye #1
Shadowland: Daughters of the Shadow #1-3
Shadowland: Elektra #1
Shadowland: Ghost Rider #1
Shadowland: Moon Knight #1-3
Shadowland: Power Man #1-4
Shadowland: Spider-Man #1
Thunderbolts #148-149

Ultimate Spider-Man:
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #2
Ultimate Spider-Man #106-110
Ultimate Spider-Man #131
Ultimate Comics Avengers 3 #1-6

Alt-Universe:
Daredevil Noir #1-4
Magdalena/Daredevil #1
What If? Daredevil in Feudal Japan #1
What If? Daredevil vs. Elektra #1

Sourcebooks:
Daredevil Saga by Brubaker #1
Marvel Spotlight: Marvel Knights 10th #1

Indexing notes:
* Civil War #1-7 w/ tie-ins -- With Matt Murdock in prison, Danny Rand takes over the role as DD and appears prominently as a core member of Captain America's Secret Avengers.
* White Tiger #1-6 -- The Danny Rand DD makes appearances in all six issues, with Matt Murdock appearing in a couple of cameos and flashbacks.
* Fallen Son: Death of Captain America #1 -- DD makes a major appearance in this team-up with Wolverine and Doctor Strange to infiltrate SHIELD.
* X-23: Target X #1-6 -- DD and Captain America appear in a framing sequence in all six issues to unravel a mystery surrounding X-23.
* Amazing Spider-Man #565-567 -- Spider-Man becomes DD after his own costume is ruined, with the real DD appearing in the first two parts.
* Amazing Spider-Man: Extra #1 -- Matt Murdock makes a major appearance in "The Spartacus Gambit" story as he defends Spider-Man for murder.
* Amazing Spider-Man #587 -- "The Spartacus Gambit" weaves into the events of this issue, including some additional Matt Murdock scenes.
* Deadpool: Suicide Kings #1-5 -- DD appears in issues #2-5, including the cover of #3. The first issue is included here for completeness.
* Wolverine: First Class #13-14 -- DD and Elektra make major guest appearances in this team-up with Wolverine and Kitty Pryde vs. The Hand.
* New Avengers #59-60 -- DD team-ups with the Avengers and a horde of heroes to rescue Luke Cage in this Dark Reign tie-in.
* Black Widow: Deadly Origin #3-4 -- Normally I'd skip this as DD only appears in 4 combined pages, but that cover to #3 is a classic!
* Amazing Spider-Man #600 -- Spider-Man and DD team-up to take down The Bar With No Name in the opening chapter of this anniversary issue.
* Sentry: Fallen Son #1 -- DD appears at the funeral of The Sentry. While he only has a couple of lines, he appears in at least a dozen pages.
* Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #2 -- Ultimate DD, Spider-Man, Moon Knight and The Punisher mix it up with the Kingpin and the Kangaroo.
* Ultimate Spider-Man #106-110 -- Ultimate DD forms the Ultimate version of the Marvel Knights in order to bring the Kingpin to justice.
* Ultimate Spider-Man #131 -- It's the death of Ultimate DD as the Ultimatum event continues to take it's toll (say it isn't so!)
* Ultimate Comics Avengers 3 #1-6 -- A new Ultimate DD debuts wearing DD's original yellow costume, with the original appearing in flashback.

Cameos not included. I've also excluded the Marvel Events from this period (i.e. Civil War, Secret Invasion, World War Hulk, Siege) since DD doesn't play much of a role outside of some cameos.

Thoughts and spare change welcome!

Last edited by fubarthepanda on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:10 pm; edited 7 times in total
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My indexing notes on the Shadowland tie-ins for anyone interested, in order of significance...

Minor appearances:

Shadowland: Daughters of the Dragon #1-3 -- DD recruits Colleen Wing to lead all-female ninja squad called The Nail and appears in all three issues. (#1-6pp, #2-2pp, and #3-1pp)

Shadowland: Bullseye #1 -- DD helps Ben Urich break-up a zany terrorist plot at the funeral of Bullseye, who was killed during the first issue of Shadowland. (#1-6pp)

Shadowland: Moon Knight #1-3 -- DD tries to recruit Moon Knight to his cause and inadvertantly puts him on a path with his own brother, Shadow Knight. (#1-2pp, #2-5pp)

Cameos:

Shadowland: Elektra #1 -- While establishing Elektra's role in the Shadowland story, DD appears in a television sequence that recaps the events of Shadowland #1. (#1-2pp)

Shadowland: Power Man #1-4 -- A new Power Man (Victor Alvarez) defends Spanish Harlem in a teaser for a new PM & IF series, with DD appearing in flashback. (#1-1pp, #2-1pp)

No appearances:

Shadowland: Ghost Rider #1 -- Ghost Rider's mission to destroy the Snakeroot at the behest of the Kingpin is explored in detail (and with bonus Crain artwork!)

Thunderbolts #148-149 -- Luke Cage leads the Thunderbolts on a rogue mission to free the imprisoned police officers from the Hand underground prison.

Shadowland: Blood on the Streets #1-4 -- Misty Knight, Silver Sable, Paladin and the Shroud hunt a mystery killer amid the Shadowland chaos in a teaser for a new Heroes for Hire ongoing.

Shadowland: Spider-Man #1 -- Spider-Man and Shang-Chi team-up to prevent Mister Negative from taking over Chinatown during the Shadowland chaos.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdly enough, Ghost Rider and Elektra may be among the best tie-ins despite the lack of Daredevil connections.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Weirdly enough, Ghost Rider and Elektra may be among the best tie-ins despite the lack of Daredevil connections.

Definitely from a craft perspective. I also enjoyed Daughters of the Shadow since it revealed Colleen Wing's hidden connection to The Hand via her mother. Surprised we haven't seen more of Black Lotus and Cherry Blossom.
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since DD was incarcerated during Civil War, Danny Rand assumed the DD identity for this event and was a core member of Captain America's Secret Avengers.

I've added his major appearances above, including:

* Civii War #1-7
* New Avengers #22
* Cable & Deadpool #30-31
* Fantastic Four #539
* Civil War: Choosing Sides #1
* White Tiger #1-6

I've excluded his minor and cameo appearances in:

* Wolverine #42 (1pp)
* Amazing Spider-Man #533 (1pp), #534 (2pp), #538 (1pp)
* Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways #1 (1pp)
* New Avengers #23 (1pp), #24 (1pp)
* Civil War: X-Men #2 (1pp)
* Thunderbolts #105 (5pp), #107 (1pp), #108 (4pp)
* Civil War: Front Line #1 (1pp)
* Black Panther #25 (1pp)
* Ms. Marvel #14 (1pp flashback)
* Captain Marvel #1 (1pp flashback)

These are mostly background/group shots.
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Event recap (outside of Shadowland):

Civil War (2006) -- As aforementioned, I've gone ahead and included this since Danny Rand (as Daredevil) plays a key role as a member of Captain America's Secret Avengers and appears in all seven issues. i've also included Choosing Sides #1 and the tie-ins where Danny makes a significant appearance.

World War Hulk (2007) -- DD doesn't participate in the main series. He does, however, make a few cameos in some of the satellite books including WWH: Front Line #2 (3pp) & #6 (1pp) and WWH Aftermath: Damage Control #1 (1pp), #2 (4pp) and #3 (1pp), but none of these rose to the level of inclusion in my personal map.

Secret Invasion (2008) -- DD doesn't really participate in this event either, making 2 page cameos in #7 & #8. He also makes related cameos in Mighty Avengers #12 (2pp), New Avengers #42 (1pp) and #45 (1pp), Thunderbolts #125 (2pp) and Secret Invasion: Front Line #5 (1pp), but, once again, none of them rose to the level of significance.

Dark Reign (2009) -- DD has his own "The List" one-shot and helps the Avengers rescue Luke Cage in New Avengers #59-60 (both included in the map above). He also makes a cameo as Matt Murdock in War Machine #11 (4pp), which I've excluded from the map.

Siege (2010) -- DD doesn't really participate in this event either, showing up for 1 page in the final issue. He does, however, make a lengthy appearance in the Sentry: Fallen Sun epilogue, which is included in the above map.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: