Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

I'm a newbie, but been a DD fan since at least 1969

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: I'm a newbie, but been a DD fan since at least 1969 Reply with quote

Hi, whoever's out there reading this.

The one Daredevil comic I remember most vividly from when I was a kid is #53 (June 69). I have no idea why it made such an impression me. I still have my original copy of #104 (Oct 73) without a cover. I was, however, a bigger fan of Spider-Man, and even subscribed to all three comics (Amazing, Spectacular, and Web) in the 80s, when I was living in England. In the early 2000s I started collecting the first volume of Spider-Man (the rest I bought in book form) and as I was finishing that, I came across 'The Death of Daredevil' and 'Man without Fear' mini-series, and since I had just bought the DVDs of the first two series of the Netflix series (I didn't get Netflix until this summer), I bought those issues along with a few more of the previous weeks' issues, That experience made me realize how much better DD was than SM (who has not fared well since Spider Island). I bought a bunch of the books and realized how much better DD's writers have been than SM's. Then I started collecting the comics. I now have just about everything, including the one shots, mini-series, and cross-overs. The toughest ones are the late 90s (which was DD's nadir): they're cheap when I can find them, but they aren't easy to find. And let me tell you DD is SO much cheaper to collect than Spidey. I come home from a convention with a backpack full of DD comics, instead of two SMs. I am now reading EVERY issue in chronological order (making notes as I go) and am up to 312.

So that's my DD story. I only discovered this website a few weeks ago, and wonder how I ever survived without it. Thanks for the amazing effort and 25 years of blood, sweat, and tears.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm a newbie, but been a DD fan since at least 1969 Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
Hi, whoever's out there reading this.

The one Daredevil comic I remember most vividly from when I was a kid is #53 (June 69). I have no idea why it made such an impression me. I still have my original copy of #104 (Oct 73) without a cover. I was, however, a bigger fan of Spider-Man, and even subscribed to all three comics (Amazing, Spectacular, and Web) in the 80s, when I was living in England. In the early 2000s I started collecting the first volume of Spider-Man (the rest I bought in book form) and as I was finishing that, I came across 'The Death of Daredevil' and 'Man without Fear' mini-series, and since I had just bought the DVDs of the first two series of the Netflix series (I didn't get Netflix until this summer), I bought those issues along with a few more of the previous weeks' issues, That experience made me realize how much better DD was than SM (who has not fared well since Spider Island). I bought a bunch of the books and realized how much better DD's writers have been than SM's. Then I started collecting the comics. I now have just about everything, including the one shots, mini-series, and cross-overs. The toughest ones are the late 90s (which was DD's nadir): they're cheap when I can find them, but they aren't easy to find. And let me tell you DD is SO much cheaper to collect than Spidey. I come home from a convention with a backpack full of DD comics, instead of two SMs. I am now reading EVERY issue in chronological order (making notes as I go) and am up to 312.

So that's my DD story. I only discovered this website a few weeks ago, and wonder how I ever survived without it. Thanks for the amazing effort and 25 years of blood, sweat, and tears.

Welcome!

Like you I came to Daredevil much later as well. When I was young in the early 90's I read mostly Spider-Man and the X-Men and much of that was because I was first exposed to the animated series. The Daredevil Netflix series is what prompted me to get back into comics and I've been all in on Daredevil since.

This is indeed an awesome site so enjoy!

Also, like you, I am trying to collect everything as well with the ultimate goal of collecting all of the issues in floppy form.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: